California gone - Nevada the new West Coast

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
QuakeDay.gif

The Three Golden Rules of Earthquake Evacuation:

1 - If you are inside a structure, immediately leave the structure

2 - If you are outside a structure, immediately enter the structure

3 - If you are in the doorway of a structure, remain in the doorway and prevent others from exiting or entering the stucture

Last edited:

Ray1968

Newly Enlightened
:crackup::crackup::crackup:
I thought I was going through a dizzy spell...

Same here. Just a slow rolling and swaying that made me wonder why I was losing my balance (I was standing up). Then I saw the window blinds swinging back and forth and knew it was an earthquake.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot to add number 4

4.- Keep your personal ID handy, It helps to identify the bodies afterwards.:lolsign: :ohgeez: :twak:

Glad everyone is ok!

AlexGT

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joking aside:

[SIZE=+1]Suggested safety rules during and after the earthquake are as follows:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]During the earthquake:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=+1]Do not panic, keep calm.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=+1]Douse all fires.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=+1]If the earthquake catches you indoors, stay indoors. Take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture. Stay away from glass, or loose hanging objects. [/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=+1]If you are outside, move away from buildings, steep slopes and utility wires.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=+1]If you are in a crowded place, do not rush for cover or to doorways.[/SIZE]
  6. [SIZE=+1]If you are in a moving vehicle, stop as quickly as safety permits, but stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops.[/SIZE]
  7. [SIZE=+1]If you are in a lift, get out of the lift as quickly as possible.[/SIZE]
  8. [SIZE=+1]If you are in a tunnel, move out of the tunnel to the open as quickly as safety permits.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]After the earthquake:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=+1]Check for casualties and seek assistance if needed.[/SIZE]
  2. [SIZE=+1]If you suspect a gas leak, open windows and shut off the main valve. Leave the building and report the gas leaks. Do not light a fire or use the telephone at the site.[/SIZE]
  3. [SIZE=+1]Turn off the main valve if water supply is damaged.[/SIZE]
  4. [SIZE=+1]Do not use the telephone except to report an emergency or to obtain assistance.[/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=+1]Stay out of severely damaged buildings as aftershocks may cause them to collapse. Report any building damage to the authorities.[/SIZE]
http://www.weather.gov.hk/gts/equake/eq_safety_e.htm

Greta

Flashaholic
Was sitting at Starschmuck's sipping a Carmel Frappe and thought I perhaps had too much caffeine... LOL! Yep... felt it here in Lake Havasu City, AZ! :wow:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only encountered 3 small quakes.

We live a few miles from a fault line that's thankfully not very active.
We had a small quake here last year (or maybe it was the year before :thinking: )

We were sitting at the dinner table when it happened.
It is such an odd sensation...floors were vibrating and it sounded like a large truck was idling in the backyard.

We just looked at each other with a "WTF was that?" look on our faces.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7.2 earthquake hit my house about 5 minutes after I got home from a week of traveling by train to visit my grandparents in Canada. For about the last week, I have been having to sleep sitting up in a chair on a shaky train. I have been sleeping in conditions that were similar to a 24/7 earthquake. I get home hoping to sleep in my stable, non shaking bed to be shaken again by a large earthquake. While I'm sure some of you were in an uncomfortable position during the quake, I can pretty much guarantee that I was in a worse position when it happened. I was using the bathroom (in the fecal position). That would definitely be on my top ten list for worst ways to die. Just glad everything turned out alright for me. I hope nobody is hurt by this quake or the aftershocks.

I bet this still wasn't the big one that has been predicted to happen within 30 years. At least 3 massive earthquakes (7.0 or above) have occurred this year in the western hemisphere alone. I think it might be leading up to something more devastating. I think it's a good time to stock up on supplies no matter where you live.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is "good" that there are these smaller ones. When it is quiet for too long, a big shaker would be catastrophic... We see all these disaster program on Discovery and like...those scenarios are quite scary.

One can imagine if a major quake occurs cutting water, electrical, gas...how chaotic it would be. I hope that in such an event, the Gov't has learned something to not repeat what occurred with Hurricane Katrina.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about this, too. Don't multiple quakes release stress along fault lines, making it less likely to have a big temblor?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Shout Out to SoCal...any observations?

Seems to be kind of quite in the CAFE now- any battery/run on torches/food/supplies stories or is it just business as usual out there now.:popcorn:

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Shout Out to SoCal...any observations?

I haven't heard of any earthquake supply runs but then I'm in the LA area and San Diego may be a different story. As a native Californian (and since DR is my profession) I've always maintained emergency supplies, but it usually takes a significant event to motivate most people.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
didn't feel the big one here at all, but come to think of it, the house did let out some loud pops and crack sounds yesterday at the time..
today I felt a slight tremor for half a second, but evidently that was from a fault near here (Ventura, about 60 miles North W. of LA..) -- it was a 2-3 only..

called the pharmacy for earthquake pills, but, alas.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm curious about this, too. Don't multiple quakes release stress along fault lines, making it less likely to have a big temblor?

I'm not a seismologist but this seems to be the repeated theme of the Science and Discovery TV programs. Apparently, whenever a quake isn't occurring, stored energy is accumulating. The smaller and more frequent they are the lower the expected magnitude (in theory) when they do happen.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Sometimes they relieve stress, sometimes it just redistributes it. There were a lot of aftershocks 50 - 150 miles north of the main shock. The main stress (so I've been told) come from shifting plates, so the amount of pent up energy is huge.

Daniel

tygger

Enlightened

Listening to a Cal Tech seismologist on the radio today. She basically said that there are many active faults in california and movement along one fault can act as a trigger for other faults. So I don't think multiple small quakes makes a big one less likely. It might have the opposite effect.

andyw513

Enlightened
CR123 sales in California before Quakes: Good.
CR123 sales in California after Quakes: Better.