Surefire G2 and Minimus hiking impressions

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
So I recently purchased a Surefire G2 and a Saint Minimus. Before this, my nicest flashlights have been a mini maglite and a small gerber infinity ultra for backup purposes.
Last night I had the opportunity to test them both on a very dark and wet hiking trail near Point Reyes in California. Here's my impressions:

Although the stars were out in full effect and the sky was mostly clear, underneath the tree canopy it tends to get very very dark quickly. We decided to head back a bit early, and so I found myself a little bummed that I wouldn't be able to try the lights since daylight was plentiful. These lights however are only supposed to be used for emergencies, so I told myself that not having to use them was indeed a good thing. As we pressed on however, twilight came upon us quickly.

We continued on, winding back and forth on the trail. At some point we must have started descending because we quickly found ourselves under a very thick tree canopy. After my companion stumbled, I realized I had been following the trail by listening to the stream running along side of the trail more than by using my eyes. I requested that we stop and grab the lights.

The temperature was dropping rapidly, and what was a sunny and fairly warm day 40 minutes before had turned into a very damp, dark and cold night. By the time I wrestled the Minimus, G2L and petzl tikka 2 plus out of my pack, It was pitch black; no stars were visible from under the tree canopy.

I should say while I'm not afraid of the dark or the woods, I was once chased for a short distance by a mountain lion not far from where we were hiking about 10 years ago, so having the lights was nice. With the minimus secured on my head, I switched it on. Let there be light...
At the lowest setting the pitch suddenly turned into a puddle, which I could now avoid stepping in. I had plenty of light to see my footing. As I turned the dial up, the blackness became illuminted farther and farther out. I could see everything perfectly on the trail, the gentle flood spilling to the sides and also illuminating the trees above. It was cold enough and damp enough, the only thing effecting my vision was my breath shining in the bright flood of the minimus.

In short the minimus was amazing. Even at the lowest setting, I had plenty of light to manouver. With the light at the halfway detent, I could see clearly down the trail. At full blast, the minius really reaches far for a flood. It never really becomes a WOW bright level, but is about as bright as you would need without being blinding.

The quality of the Minimus becomes even more aparent when you switch on the Petzl. Sure the Petzl is bright enough, and comfortable enough. While it has a bit more throw than the minimus, the focused beam just kills your night vision. And while the petzl is a pain to turn on and off, the smooth controls of the minimus are just instinctive.

The G2 I don't have much to say about. It's small, it's light, and it shines very brightly. It has plenty of throw, and makes the perfect addition to the minimus's flood.

Basically the lights worked fantastic. We even ran into a few hikers that were without lights and we helped them find their way.

I couldn't be happier with my lights, I'm returning the Petzl. I think these Surefire's will last me a long time.

-Freq

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hook line and sinker...it doesn't matter which SF you start out with...after using them a few times, you become addicted...and will eventually never go back to another brand again. They're amazing instruments, aren't they???

Might I recommend the E2L as you next light? There will be a next...trust me! LOL!

Great Story! Can't wait until I can hit the trails again!

Welcome to CPF BTW!

atm

Enlightened
Very nice real-world impressions, thanks Freq.

Off to have a closer look at the Minimus...

carrot

Flashaholic
While hiking back to the car a couple of days ago I had a similar experience as you with the Saint. I found that using it on the middle notch was generally all that was necessary, only using it at full blast so I could safely cross stream crossings and ensure that there *was* something to step on while walking along a cliff face.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reading that story nearly made me finally take the plunge on the Saint... just need the paypal balance first! :laughing:

Great story OP, glad that you like the lights.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't wait to get my Minimus on the trail. The output really makes having a hand held optional. It is indeed an L2 mounted on your head! The Point Reyes coast is a wonderful area to hike.

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
You know, I forgot to mention: Someone had suggested on another thread that the Minimus needs to be used in a real scenario to be appreciated. I fully agree. Testing these Surefire lights inside, and even in a wooded backyard with some night light polution just isn't the same. It's only until you really are somewhere where it is virtually pitch black, cold, where your life depends on the light performing do you recognize and appreciate the subtle genius of these lights. I'm not a flashaholic, and I could care less about collecting lights. These surefire's are all I need, and if they are as durable over time as they seem to be, I won't be buying another brand any time soon.

I would even venture to say that if you hike at night or could even possibly get stuck on a day hike, choosing something that performs inferior to these two Surefire's is just a monumentally stupid idea.

-Freq

carrot

Flashaholic
You know, I forgot to mention: Someone had suggested on another thread that the Minimus needs to be used in a real scenario to be appreciated. I fully agree. Testing these Surefire lights inside, and even in a wooded backyard with some night light polution just isn't the same. It's only until you really are somewhere where it is virtually pitch black, cold, where your life depends on the light performing do you recognize and appreciate the subtle genius of these lights. I'm not a flashaholic, and I could care less about collecting lights. These surefire's are all I need, and if they are as durable over time as they seem to be, I won't be buying another brand any time soon.

100 lumens is bright, yes, but I suspect that any belief of shortcomings with the Minimus lies in sticker shock. Take it out and play with it, I suspect you will find it is quite useful on the trails. You will have plenty of light, and combined with any reasonable pocket light you will be quite fulfilled in your illumination needs.

Yup.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I recommend the E2L as you next light? There will be a next...trust me!

I'd join this recommendation. I bought one when, intending to buy an E1L, I took a look at the runtime and lumen specs for the current E2L and thought about my needs. For "non-tactical" use, the high is very useful, as is the low, and the runtime on low is truly impressive.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks for the real-world usage feedback - nice reading compared to all those 'recommend me a 400 lumen flashlight' threads recently. :green:

This is what CPF is really about IMO. :thumbsup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd join this recommendation. I bought one when, intending to buy an E1L, I took a look at the runtime and lumen specs for the current E2L and thought about my needs. For "non-tactical" use, the high is very useful, as is the low, and the runtime on low is truly impressive.

I bought mine 2 years ago, and use it on and off, but it still has the original batteries, and the high still fires up perfectly. The low is great for around the house tasks...I only find myself using the high out doors casue it's too bright for in the house...

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear everyones lights are still going strong. I'm probably going to buy another minimus for the Lady and a G2 for the car.

-freq

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I also suggested that you play around with your gear items in the woods (aka real world) before looking for another headlamp. I don't own a Minimus, however have a G2 but just the same this recommendation applies to any gear item. Glad you it.

youreacrab

Enlightened
I was once chased for a short distance by a mountain lion not far from where we were hiking about 10 years ago

Chased by a mountain lion and still alive??? Check out the E1L over the E2L. Good backup pocket light.

MrMom

Enlightened
Yes, the Saint is a fantastic wide area light. I use mine for around the house and yard tasks very often. This past weekend it lit the task at hand while replacing gaskets on the RV while preping for the 2010 camping season. I recall, many years ago, working under the hood of the family car with my father. My job was to hold the flashlight (did the flashlight bug start there?). I remember my father shouting, "Darn it, I am looking here, not there." as I let the narrow beam from the dim yellow flashlight wander. Now of days, the Saint bathes the entire area with light. ...The bonding moments that my daughter will now miss... The Saint excels at task after task around the home.

As far as camping and hiking, I would never use a headlamp. In the native North Eastern forests, the flies would swarm me like a spark-less bug zapper. The field of vision would consist of the first 10,000 bugs. Besides that, I have been photon blasted in the eyes from countless headlamp users.

Latest posts