Flashlight for exploring..

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!

Hopefully I am posting in the correct section. I am a bit new to this forum..

Anyways let's get to my point :)
I have around 150$ to spend, but I don't really "care" if it's a good manufacturer or china made flashlight.

I am searching for a flashlight that is mainly going to be used in dark area's where absolutly no light is available.. e.g. caves, mines, and other areas like these.

To get an idea of what places I am talking about. Here are some pictures:
http://i44.tinypic.com/20s6qtl.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/wxgw.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/fa4enm.jpg

Now you know where I will be using the flashlight for. So what I kinda want is a light that I can use in caves and similar locations. I don't care if it's heavy, long or has multiple modes. It just needs to be bright, flood and thrower all in one (Propably asking too much). Runtime is out of the question at this moment.

And yes.. I know you cannot just rely on a single flashlight in these situations, but I just wanna care "this" flashlight as an extra to light up areas I really wanna see quite good to check out.

I've been browsing sites like DX and other websites and so far I've found these:
sku.30683
sku.18475
sku.31869

Thank you for everyone that will be helping to find a great torch for me:twothumbs

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
but I don't really "care" if it's a good manufacturer or china made flashlight.

First off hello and welcome to the forum.

Second, when in those types of environments you want a light that you can almost bet your life on. You dont know whats around the next corner. All you need is to drop a cheap light and be there in the dark.

Also, you would want a like with good runtime. I would not exclude that from the search. I dont like every 30minutes you want to change batteries.

Do you know what type of batteries you would like to use? AA, AAA, CR123, etc, etc.

I am sure we will help you find a light, just need a little more info from you.

BeeMan458

Banned
:welcome:

I'm a noob and have become a huge fan of JetBeam lights.

I also don't believe in a one size fits all adage. I'm a horses for courses kinda guy.

If I were to go caving with but one light, for the price I'd go with, based on your posted images, a JetBeam M1X. Lot's a throw and just enough spill. But I'd always have a back-up in the form of a RRT-0. A suggestion, due to high battery costs. I'd recommend checking out rechargeable Li-Ion batteries.

An aside, I prefer the close-quarter beam output of the M1X using only three CR123's as opposed the using the extender with four 123's installed.

Also, be sure to add the checkout code CPFJET when you check out; ~$200.00, out the door, not counting a couple boxes of CR123A batteries to get you started.

Hope the above helps.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Possibly a TK40 may fill your needs pretty well.
It will run on standard alkaline AA's or rechargeable's.

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Ah yes I forgot to mention that I always carry multiple lights such as Coleman lanterns and other things. That is why I said I don't care if it's china made or something like that.. (Not that stupid eh :D)

Ok runtime on high should be atleast 1 Hour
Carrying batteries isn't really the problem. I would prefer the 18650 batteries.

Hope this info helps abit.

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Hi again,

Thanks for all your answers. (are posts checked first.. because I tried to reply and it didn't get added so here's another try :p)

As for the batteries I would prefer the 18650 ones.
Runtime on high should be atleast 50minutes / 1hour. Carrying extra batteries isn't a problem :)

I know when going underground or other places that you can't rely on just 1 flashlight.. I always carry a fuel based coleman, a headlight and some other things. That is why I said it doesn't really matter if it's china made.

I hope these answers will help, if there is any other info I forgot to add just let me know :)

joe1512

Enlightened
Heres my thoughts:

1) A Trustfire TR1200 uses 2 or 3 18650s with extender tube. Its 50 bucks shipped(!!), and uses multiple XR emitters. Search on Deal Extreme for it. There are some nice reviews here for it, and a video on DX site. It has great throw and also lights up the area nicely.

2) The TK40 is a great option as well. It has a nice combo of throw and flood with excellent build quality. Uses 8xAAs. I recommend getting a 30 dollar 8xAA, 2xAAA, and charger pack of Sanyo Eneloops from Amazon which is what I did.
The nice thing is that you can use more eneloops for around the house, whereas 18650s are pretty worthless.

3) ThruNite Catapult. 150 bucks. 2x18650. Rugged, durable and regarded as one of the best SST-50 lights around.

There are a handful of other choices you can research:

a) OLight M30.

b) Romisen RC-T6. 80 bucks. 2x18650.

ToNIX

Enlightened
I know that the Fenix TK11/TK12 is pretty popular for cave exploring. It's built like a tank!

You could also check the Jetbeam Jet-III M and the Eagletac T20C2 Mk II (and it's little brothers).

All use a single 18650.

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the information ya'll providing me :) I am sure I can make my choice sooner or later!

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Cavers generally wear headlamps mounted on their helmets.

So first I would look into getting a high quality headlamp to mount on your helmet.

In the event that you don't already have a helmet, I'd spend half of my $150 on a good caving helmet and the other half on a decent headlamp such as the Princeton Tec Apex, Fenix HP10, or other similar quality lamp. Hand-held lights really stink when you need both hands to crawl and climb and a headlamp is pretty much a necessity underground.

After that, begin considering hand-helds for spotting and remember to carry at least 3 sources of light and enough batteries to last a lot longer than you plan on being down there.

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
Cavers generally wear headlamps mounted on their helmets.

So first I would look into getting a high quality headlamp to mount on your helmet.

In the event that you don't already have a helmet, I'd spend half of my $150 on a good caving helmet and the other half on a decent headlamp such as the Princeton Tec Apex, Fenix HP10, or other similar quality lamp. Hand-held lights really stink when you need both hands to crawl and climb and a headlamp is pretty much a necessity underground.

After that, begin considering hand-helds for spotting and remember to carry at least 3 sources of light and enough batteries to last a lot longer than you plan on being down there.

Ofcourse, but already got a headlamp and such :) This is more like an extra flashlight to carry around..

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
The EagleTac T20C2 MK II XPG with LOP reflector can give you quite a decent flood and throw and can run on 1x 18650. It comes with a bezel screw-in diffuser lens. Attaching the diffuser lens makes it a very good flood light. I've used my P20C2 (smaller version of T20C2) with diffuser on it and I just love it how it fills the trail with light in pitch black environments. For me, It's easier to spot on spiders, crawling stuff on branches and surrounding areas.

Illum

Flashaholic
OLight M21 and a few 18650's. Rated at 500 lumens.
Or Olight M30 at 700 lumens.

in total darkness 700 lumens of throw is overkill. Around 40-100 lumens with some flood should be more than necessary.

That being said, you should pack extra E2Ls on you as well as a roll of fishing line or kite string...especially if what your exploring has multiple rooms:candle:

pwatcher

Enlightened
If I wanted a light:
1. known for its durability, and
2. that takes 18650 cells, and
3. has excellent throw, and
4. has at least an hour of runtime on high, and
5. wanted to avoid too cold a tint which could make it hard to see certain dangerous critters,

I'd pick my Jetbeam Jet III-M over any of the other 70+ lights I own, many of which are multiples of the cost of this light! :thumbsup:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to suggest the Fenix TK20, 2 modes, 2xAA, built like a tank, nice rubber grip that is easy to grasp. You can look through this site to see beamshots of the TK20 as well as other flashlights.

Mine came with a holster and the lanyard holes are big enough that you can attach a pretty large clip to it as well.

Read somewhere here and saw some pics of a fellow CPF-er who uses that light for caving and man, it was really beaten up but going strong.

The light is available at 4sevens for $48.70 after using the "CPF8" discount code when checking out, that leaves you $100 for ................ another light! :D

mohammed

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix flashlights indeed look nice. Also the beamshots :)
I am thinking of a TK40 atm. Since that one still fits in my budget :p