Fenix MC10 chirping sound

Stream

Enlightened
I recently bought a Fenix MC10 anglehead light, and I have noticed a small chirp when I switch between levels. Sometimes the sound remains for a few seconds after I first switch it on. I also get the impression that the noise sometimes occurs if the light is bumped slightly. Is this anything to be concerned about? I bought two, and the other one has a bad flickering problem on high (and yes, I tried cleaning all contacts with alcohol) - it also makes the same noise, but only instantly when you switch to high. I am about to return the flickering one to the seller, and I am wondering if I should return the one making the occasional chirp as well. Any thoughts?

Stream

Enlightened
Has anyone else heard similar noise from their Fenix MC10? You have to hold it close to your ear to hear it.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people who hear such noises refer to them as a hum or buzz. If this is the case, it's just the inductor whine from the driver. There's nothing wrong with it, but it seems to be a hit and miss issue with lights.

Stream

Enlightened
Most people who hear such noises refer to them as a hum or buzz. If this is the case, it's just the inductor whine from the driver. There's nothing wrong with it, but it seems to be a hit and miss issue with lights.

It's more of a chirp than a whine or buzz. I have heard buzzing noises from other LED lights, but it's usually a continuous sound, never this type of short high pitched noise.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Could it be the spring in the switch creaking as it is being compressed?

I have had a few lights that would make funny sounds when the switch was being used.

Stream

Enlightened
Could it be the spring in the switch creaking as it is being compressed?

I have had a few lights that would make funny sounds when the switch was being used.

It sounds more like an electronic sound than a creaking spring, and it's not just when you push the button. Plus I don't think the button has much of a spring anyway, it feels more like a Playstation controller type of button than the springy type of push button that you find on a lot of lights. The button is on the top of the light, while the main battery spring is under the bottom tailcap.