Is there an easy way to modify a Romisen RC-U4 ?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Romisen RC-U4 with a three mode (no memory) LED module using a 18650 ... It has a high , medium and strobe mode ... I would like a high , medium and low with memory ... Like the Solarforce cheap dropin for the L2 ... Is there an easy way to convert the Romisen ?

Or do I have to give the Romisen away to a non-flashaholic relative so I can replace it with another torch ? ... If I give it away , I can put the cassette back in , so it can be used with three AAA cells.

Many Thanks.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Easy? It depends if you are interested in a bit of soldering or not... I'd have to recommend the 3 mode driver from Shiningbeam.com (not the 2.8A one!), but you would need to measure the current driver to ensure it would fit... and then of course you'll have to remove the old driver and solder in the new one.
Lol :welcome:

:wave:

Umm.... ??

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse me for my humor but why on earth are we having a General Flashlight Discussion within the B/S/T?

Am I missing something here?:grin2:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
its no big deal the Mods will move eventually, I was only having a lil fun.

now to watch the game. Go Baylor:ohgeez:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excuse me for my humor but why on earth are we having a General Flashlight Discussion within the B/S/T?

Am I missing something here?:grin2:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge , but what is B/S/T ? ... British Summer Time ? ... Bacon , Sausage and Tomato ? ... I'm sorry I don't know what it means ... So please excuse me for inadvertantly putting a thread where it is not welcome ... Since I need to modify the Romisen , I just thought that this (custom and modified) was the right section to put the query in ... I didn't think that it was a "General Flashlight Discussion" query.

I really don't mind where this thread goes as long as someone can give me the help that I asked for.

Thank You.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Bacon? Mmmmm... We should have a bacon forum! Sausages are good too, but bacon is the best.

Seriously though, are you interested in some soldering, and can you access the circuit board?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bacon? Mmmmm... We should have a bacon forum! Sausages are good too, but bacon is the best.

Seriously though, are you interested in some soldering, and can you access the circuit board?
All with Mango Chutney in a big bap ... A bap is a round bread roll here in Wales.

Right ... I was hoping that there was a way to remove (fairly easily) the fixed LED unit and somehow put a dropin in its place ... If this is not feasible , then I guess that the Romisen will be given to a family member and I will be forced to get another torch to replace the loss.

I can see the top (LED end) and the bottom end of the unit and as it is fixed in place , there isn't a lot of space to get at anything easily ... I assume that the unit was made up and then just glued into place somehow ... If I manage to get the fixed unit out , is there a dropin that will fairly easily sort of ---- err ----- drop in ?

The Romisen will also run on three AAA cells in a cassette , for the lucky family member ... The existing 18650 will move into the replacement torch ... I will do more research next time to make sure that I don't get a torch with a fixed LED unit ... Should've just got another Solarforce L2 or L2i instead.

It's all part of the learning curve I suppose ... Luckily, in this case, it's not a very expensive learning curve.