Received my 1st Surefire today . . .

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
. . . a A2 LED Aviator. My progression in lights was incandescent AA Mini Mag, 4/7s Quark Mini AA, 4/7s Quark AA/2 and now this. Not dark here yet, but inside a dark room the SF seems as bright on high (120) as the Quark does on Maximum (206). Maybe caused by the SF having a tighter beam with less spread than the Quark. Tint on the SF is MUCH nicer, very natural white looking. The design of the SF clip is a train wreck, the plastic lanyard attachment point looks cheap and the twist from low to high seems excessive. Which SF model do I order a clip from to keep the clip from making contact with the tail cap? Batteries do not rattle in the SF like they did in the Quark, before I wrapped some post-it-notes around them. Been a machinest for 37 years and the SF seems better made, but not by leaps and bounds. Anodizing and electronics I know nothing about. At 4X the cost of the Quark, I think I may have been expecting too much. Going to get to use them in the Sierra Nevada mountains next week and will decide if the SF is a keeper or not.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having higher expectations, always tends to cause a certain amount of dissatisfaction. It is just basic psychology.

Take the A2L out, give it some good hard use, and see how you feel then :)
With regards the clip, a long clip from a C2 will work or a shorter one from an L4 will also do.
However neither of these offer a bezel down carry option.

The lanyard attachment point is designed to be strong enough to hold natural forces the light will put on it, but to break away when excessive force is introduced. For example, if you are wearing it around your neck, and someone grabs the light in order to choke you, it will break apart.

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Dont be too critical yet... The surefire probably wont be as bright but it is bullet proof and has an awsome warranty and customer support network.

If you want stinkin hot throws forever bright for a lower price... there are options out there. If you want something that maybe isnt as bright but you can depend on WITH YOUR LIFE... keep the Surefire.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a A2 but my first Surefire was a E2L single stage and I wasn't that impressed initially either but it really it really grew on me a little at a time until eventually I became a full fledged Surefire addict.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hi Hobbs,

I see you went with the A2L. I hope that it suits your needs. Surefire makes a very good light, give it time and some use, and you will probably grow to appreciate it more. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and try something else. I know you were also considering a Ra, which is a very good choice. Try some different things out and see what you like. :)

Lightsman

Newly Enlightened
. . . a A2 LED Aviator.
I also have a A2L and I like the light very much. It has a very large spill in comparsion to other lights. The A2L is definately no thrower. My A2L has white secondary LEDs and the low beam has not a little bright spot, it is a large illuminated area. Perfect for outdoor activities like camping if you are looking for something in your rucksack or tent..
Maybe caused by the SF having a tighter beam with less spread than the Quark. Tint on the SF is MUCH nicer, very natural white looking.
I don't think the A2L has a tighter beam. The A2L is the SF flashlight I have with the widest beam (in comparsion to LX2, Backup, E1L, U2, Vampire,...).
the plastic lanyard attachment point looks cheap
That is a design feature. For safety, the fastener is designed to break away if the lanyard or light is pulled on with extreme force.
and the twist from low to high seems excessive.
Twisty is a thing you like or dont like. I like it for mose cases....
At 4X the cost of the Quark, I think I may have been expecting too much.
No you are not experiencing to much, but if you pay 4x more for a light is is not 4x better. But if you need new o-rings or parts you'll get them without problems after years from Surefire. I'm pretty sure you will not get any spare parts for you Quark in a few years. And for example I lost the little keyring and clip for my SF Titan. I contacted SF and got both for free. The threads of all my SF lights are perfect, no jamming, simple perfect. The threads of a lot other flashlights I have work fine, but you feel the difference if you disassemble you flashlight.
Going to get to use them in the Sierra Nevada mountains next week and will decide if the SF is a keeper or not.
Yes, if you're going camping and / or hiking the A2L should be perfect. If the "throw" of your A2L is not enough a LX2 would also be a good choice

Edit:

Left: A2L - Right: LX2 (both low)
A2L-LX2_Low.jpg

Left: A2L - Right: LX2 (both high)
A2L-LX2_High.jpg

Last edited:

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Hi Hobbs,

I see you went with the A2L. I hope that it suits your needs. Surefire makes a very good light, give it time and some use, and you will probably grow to appreciate it more. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and try something else. I know you were also considering a Ra, which is a very good choice. Try some different things out and see what you like. :)

Ra Twisty & SF Stratum, if/when released, are still rattling around in the back of my head.:) So many lights, so little time/$$$.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you dont like it, you wont have any problem selling it.

but im guessing you will keep it.

surefire are the mercedes of flashlights.

not the flashiest, or cheapest, but they work and you can count on them.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Me likey the Surefire! Walking around it the snow at night trading the Quark AA/2 and A2L back and forth with the wife, who knows nor cares about flashlights, and she says of the SF, "this is a much nicer light!". Sold both at a friends house who was hosting a BMW riders club meeting. Small loss on the Quark and small profit on the SF.
Now to buy a RA Twisty! Can anyone tell me how the RA wide and narrow beams compare to the A2L?