What's the best all-around light for camping/hiking?

HIDblue

Enlightened
I've taken many a camping/hiking trip only to find myself carrying more lights than I probably need, although probably not enough for most CPF'ers. I'm a firm believer of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I tend to go on multi-day hikes/camping trips which means I have to live out of my frameless backpack and huff all of my gear in/out of the forest which also limits what I can bring with me...i.e. for weight issues.

I usually bring these for multi-day camping/hiking trips:

Fenix PD20 R2 in the pocket (back-up)
Surefire 6P w/LED drop-in or Fenix PD30 R2 (primary)
Pelican 8060 w/rechargeable NiMH battery + back-up C batteries (for
throw and battery life on the trail)...it's heavy, but I like it.
Coleman Micro Packer LED lantern (around the tent)

So, what is the best overall LED light for camping/hiking??? Is there one light that will do everything??? Or does everyone else also carry a couple different lights? :thinking:

HIDblue

Enlightened
I guess that's probably why I should proof read before I post, huh? :naughty: Forgot about my Streamlight Enduro headlamp...which I'm looking to replace with something better btw.

Brian321

Enlightened
You could try the fenix TK20. Its a tough light with good throw and has a low( Not that low) and high mode.

Headlamps are also a plus for camp chores.. I use the Zebralight H501w

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

kramer5150

Flashaholic
A floody headlamp of some sort should be at the top of your list. Zebralights are my favs.

6P + Malkoff
G2 or E2L for backup

One more "gimicky" kind of light just to play around with... an 18650 aspheric thrower or an ROP perhaps.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Jetbeam RRT-2 and a Surefire E2L with a E1B in my pocket along with a Princeton Tec Apex headlamp while hiking and also the Zebralight 501 for campsite stuff. I bring a lot more then this but this is what I mainly use.

BlueMarble

Newly Enlightened
I usually take a couple of lights with me hiking or camping. The one that I currently use the most is a neutral white 4Sevens Quark AA. I use the Prism kit to attach it to my belt for working around camp or hiking, and sometimes I'll put it on my forehead in a headband for use as a headlamp. I also modified a Fenix diffuser so that it will fit on the head of it for a lantern when in the tent or preparing a meal on the trail. I'm a big fan of the neutral white light for the outdoors, partly because it reminds me of camping with incandescent flashlights when I was younger.

HIDblue

Enlightened
I like my Jetbeam RRT-2 and a Surefire E2L with a E1B in my pocket along with a Princeton Tec Apex headlamp while hiking and also the Zebralight 501 for campsite stuff. I bring a lot more then this but this is what I mainly use.

How do you like the UI on the Jet RRT-2? I've been eye-balling that one for a while, but can't get myself to pull the trigger just yet because I heard the twist ring UI on the RRT-1 wasn't all that great.

Ska-T

Newly Enlightened
I tend to go on multi-day hikes/camping trips which means I have to live out of my frameless backpack and huff all of my gear in/out of the forest which also limits what I can bring with me...i.e. for weight issues.
There is a school of thought for backpacking (I'm in that school) that subscribes to the idea of carrying as little weight as reasonable. For example, it is not that difficult carry a total pack weight of about 20 lbs or less (including food, water, and bear canister) for a 4 day trip in the Sierra and still have all the gear you need.

By that approach you can do well on a 1 oz headlamp for camp chores and a 1 oz hand held flashlight for night time hiking.
See Mark Verber's Recommended Outdoor Gear. He has a section on Lighting.

By the way, I'm a firm believer of "if I don't have it, I don't need it." (A slight exaggeration.)

HIDblue

Enlightened
There's seems to be a theme with the Zebralight headlamps. I'll have to take a look at those too as a possible replacement to my Streamlight Enduro.

HIDblue

Enlightened
There is a school of thought for backpacking (I'm in that school) that subscribes to the idea of carrying as little weight as reasonable. For example, it is not that difficult carry a total pack weight of about 20 lbs or less (including food, water, and bear canister) for a 4 day trip in the Sierra and still have all the gear you need.

By that approach you can do well on a 1 oz headlamp for camp chores and a 1 oz hand held flashlight for night time hiking.
See Mark Verber's Recommended Outdoor Gear. He has a section on Lighting.

By the way, I'm a firm believer of "if I don't have it, I don't need it." (A slight exaggeration.)

I hear what you're saying, but I just remember backpacking years and years ago only with a maglite (before headlamps) that magically went ka-pooey on me. Luckily, my buddies still had their lights, but I felt "naked" without a light for the rest of the trip...if ya know what I mean?

Ever since then, I tend to layer my lights just in case of a similar failure. Besides, what better place than a forest to light up the world with some awesome flashlights. I dig the way the beams cut through the trees, paths, etc....you really get to see the full potential of a light in the woods, but that's just me...:grin2:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you like the UI on the Jet RRT-2? I've been eye-balling that one for a while, but can't get myself to pull the trigger just yet because I heard the twist ring UI on the RRT-1 wasn't all that great.

Although it comes down to personal like's and dislike's the output ring on the RRT models is by far my favorite UI of anything I own. It's smooth and easy, I also like you can choose the output before turning the light on. I have the RRT-0 and RRT-2 and they are two of my favorite lights. I get a bit joy every time I change output with the selector ring.

HIDblue

Enlightened
Thanks for the info jhc37013. I like the fact that you can cycle through the outputs without having to turn the light on. And that you'll definitely know what output level you're at before you turn it on.

Looks like my wallet may be taking another hit on the RRT-2. :broke:

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
My primary backpacking light is a modified (SST emitter) EOS headlamp. I also bring along the smallest and lightest weight light I can find that has good throw, to check out things that go bump in the night. My long time favorite for that is a D-Mini, which is very hard to beat for its size. I used to also pack an old and tiny Fenix P1, also modified with an SST emitter and running on an RCR cell, and with some Scotch Magic tape over the lens to make it more floody. It would light up the whole campground area very nicely. But I lost it and haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

You've got a lot more choices if you're hauling gear in by car or if you don't mind carrying a lot of weight and/or volume.

c_c

Niconical

Enlightened
....including food, water, and bear canister...

I thought that was a typo, but I googled it and there really is something called a bear canister.

You learn something new every day :)

I do think the typo version would be better though, take a beer canister and you won't care about bears taking your food :crackup:

Latest posts