P60 drop-in with the most concentrated beam?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is still plenty of spill in that beam.

I think what you really want is an aspheric lens :devil:

Noctis

Enlightened
Well without even the most basic tools or knowledge for soldering or even glueing things together properly...only if that aspheric lens comes with the drop-in :twak:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the wack on the head, just for trying to help... :shrug: :green:

My suggestion was more aimed at the fact that you have described an aspherically lensed flashlight. There are a few out there.

BeeMan458

Banned
DimeRazonback wrote:

You know the adage: "No good deed goes unpunished."

:thumbsup:

Noctis wrote:

(my Thrunite XP-G R5 1.5A dropin disappointed me)

:mecry:

That's so sad. I love my XP-G R5 drop-in.

Maybe you should try this one.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sst-led-upgrade-p60.html

With a bored out 6P body and a freshly charged 18650, this puppy should rock.

:twothumbs

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened

My suggestion was more aimed at the fact that you have described an aspherically lensed flashlight. There are a few out there.
Actually that whack was for me :-/
Perhaps it would be better to structure that sentence like this:
Well without even the most basic tools or knowledge for soldering or even glueing things together properly:twak:...only if that aspheric lens comes with the drop-in
There are a few(M60 I noticed, don't know about Nailbender's), but I've only heard of custom ones having a 5.5 degree optic, and even then they might not be set in "focus" to make that really tight beam.

DimeRazonback wrote:

You know the adage: "No good deed goes unpunished."

:thumbsup:

Noctis wrote:

(my Thrunite XP-G R5 1.5A dropin disappointed me)

:mecry:

That's so sad. I love my XP-G R5 drop-in.

Maybe you should try this one.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/sst-led-upgrade-p60.html

With a bored out 6P body and a freshly charged 18650, this puppy should rock.

:twothumbs
I have no idea why, but the name "Ultrafire" just turns me off faster than a 90-year old fat nude lady turns away high school kids. Probably because I've associated Ultrafire with generic "Made in China" low-cost crap.

Would I at least be right to assume that it's better to wait until the end of the week for Nailbender to restock on his SST-50s? His are at least a higher quality right?

Looking at the Milky MCE linked in the OP, it uses a TIR optic if I'm not mistaken. That would account for the beam quality. Maybe you might consider a Malkoff drop-in.
I thought Malkoff drop-ins were only 8 degrees at the narrowest? The M61 is said to have a reflector instead of an optic, which would give it more spill/flood than the M60.

Also, feel free to smack me, but I just realized that I had an ElektroLumens DeCree on order(probably won't get it til next month though). Would this thing be exactly what I'm looking for? Or would say, a Moddoo Triple XP-G, outperform this in terms of beam intensity/lux at about 30-40 feet?

But then again, for some odd reason I find myself wondering if I couldn't rip the optics & LED out of there and shove it in my 6P <_<
The thing doesn't look like it'll have a good grip in my hand and there's no pocketclip.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the SST50 in a d26 reflector is more of a "wall of light"
type of beam- its like a super sized XPG ie TONS of spill.

I LOVE it but it sounds a lot different than what yer looking for.
the moddoo triple is also a HUGE wall.

the solorforce masterpiece R2 might be what you have in mind.
and it will screw on the 6p * I think*

if u get it from jake it comes with a free 6p clone I think.

Id get one if I wasnt overdrawn already:cool:

Noctis

Enlightened
Well a "wall of light" really isn't too bad if the intensity at about 20 ft is more than enough to make everyone in range turn their heads the other way. I just think it would be more "fun" if I could illuminate things a little bit further away. Though an intense beam at close to mid range is really more important to me.

I'm actually more interested in just a P60 drop-in and not another big fat head, as pocket-carry is important.

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noctis,

The venerable XR-E R2 is still the #1 "throw" emitter [IMO].

You might consider an XP-E or XR-E w/ optic from Nailbender. He lists XR-E and XP-E w/ correct optics for only a few $ more than std. reflector drop-ins.

Saying that.... I ought to consider the same thing for my light..... I prefer throw to flood because I like to see a skunk LONG before my dog does.... putting lumens downrange on target is the ultimate stench preventer......

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Zero spill from what I can tell, it's all hotspot. The lumens output also has to be sufficiently high(my Thrunite XP-G R5 1.5A dropin disappointed me) or else there would be no point in having such a concentrated beam.

No one makes a light capable of what you are asking...

1- all spot, no spill
2- Higher Lumen output than an XP-G @ 1.5A

The closest thing I can think of is an XRE or XPG behind a slightly defocused aspheric. But these designs are not Lumen monsters, as they entrap a lot of emitted Lumens inside the bezel.

An XR-E Q5 at 1.4A, behind such optics will only result in ~120L OTF. I would expect similar results from an XPG in a similar application, maybe even less than the XRE being that the XPG dome emits more light out to the sides than the XRE.

Heres an example I slapped together using a malkoff M60... This will get you the beam you are after, but not the Lumen output.
dscn2505x.jpg

dscn2507f.jpg

dscn2506.jpg

dscn2508v.jpg

BeeMan458

Banned
I have no idea why, but the name "Ultrafire" just turns me off faster than a 90-year old fat nude lady turns away high school kids. Probably because I've associated Ultrafire with generic "Made in China" low-cost crap.

The good news, I don't plan on taking it out on a hot date.

:D

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one makes a light capable of what you are asking...

1- all spot, no spill
2- Higher Lumen output than an XP-G @ 1.5A

The closest thing I can think of is an XRE or XPG behind a slightly defocused aspheric. But these designs are not Lumen monsters, as they entrap a lot of emitted Lumens inside the bezel.

An XR-E Q5 at 1.4A, behind such optics will only result in ~120L OTF. I would expect similar results from an XPG in a similar application, maybe even less than the XRE being that the XPG dome emits more light out to the sides than the XRE.

Heres an example I slapped together using a malkoff M60... This will get you the beam you are after, but not the Lumen output.
********************************************************************************************

hey Kramer- is that aspheric a stand alone lens you got somewhere?
I was thinking that would be fun to stick in n play around with with
different drop-ins----where can i get one for my C2?

also, can you play Eruption? (had to ask):devil:

Latest posts