Easy way to add some grip to an old SureFire 6P

HIDblue

Enlightened
If you're like me, you have an older model Surefire 6P probably with an LED drop-in unit of some kind to bring it up to date. But the knurling on the body of the old Surefires was very shallow and was definitely not aggressive, leading to easy slippage (is that a word?) whenever your hands got sweaty or water got on the light.​

Easy and economical fix to increase the grip...get some skateboard tape (can be bought at most sporting goods stores) which almost has the texture of course grit sandpaper on one side and adhesive material on the other; cut it to whatever size you like and apply it to the body/head of your old Surefire 6P.​

It really gives you a great tacky feel and isn't too difficult to replace after it wears down. Hope this helps. :wave:​

Noctis

Enlightened
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6P is a pocketlight for the most part. Wouldn't the tape be TOO aggressive and rip your pockets(and whatever else is inside) to shreds?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6P is a pocketlight for the most part. Wouldn't the tape be TOO aggressive and rip your pockets(and whatever else is inside) to shreds?

you may have a point there, leather pockets then? :D

also, if the 6P is holstered, would the tape affect quick drawing the light?

does anyone have a pic of the combat rings on a 6P and would they fit a G2 or other P6 hosts?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rubber grip ring :

image-3A85_4B66BA22.jpg

image-487E_4B46A7FD.jpg

Just sacrifice a wheel mouse to the 6P , yes these rubber rings are the rubber wheels from a computer wheel mouse ...

The L2P wears the best one so far [ dont ask me which mouse - dont remember ]

Gryffin

Enlightened
yes these rubber rings are the rubber wheels from a computer wheel mouse ...

The L2P wears the best one so far [ dont ask me which mouse - dont remember ]

Oh, that's genius! Might hafta dig through my office's Big Box of Dead Mice for a donor…

lovecpf

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try "grip" heat shrink tubing. It's used on fishing pole, badminton, tennis racket, tool and other handles. I have some I put on a Japanese hatchet years ago and it still fits snugly. It feels a little like rough-out leather and isn't tacky like some grip tapes.

-LT

HIDblue

Enlightened

I always thought the 6P was a bit too large for pocket carry. I usually keep my 6P in my bag or holster so I've never had a problem with it, but you're probably right about it being too aggressive for pocket carry with the skateboard tape on...

Every idea doesn't work for everyone, so just modify the tape to whatever your particular application is. NonSenCe had a great suggestion with the hockey grip tape...which is much thinner and less aggressive. :thumbsup:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought the 6P was a bit too large for pocket carry. I usually keep my 6P in my bag or holster so I've never had a problem with it, but you're probably right about it being too aggressive for pocket carry with the skateboard tape on...

Every idea doesn't work for everyone, so just modify the tape to whatever your particular application is. NonSenCe had a great suggestion with the hockey grip tape...which is much thinner and less aggressive. :thumbsup:

well, i still think that it's a good idea, i've played on skateboards when i was a wee laddie and the grip is great on those things. That will definitely be considered for my larger lights like my WF500 which can feel a bit slippery at times, i want that light to have an aggressive non-slip as there isnt any lanyard attachment point on it.

Last edited: