The Outdoorsman E1L

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I have a few questions for you about the SF E1L. I will go ahead and say I have researched this a grea day already and read all the threads about it that I could find on here and other sites. I have also checked youtube for reviews. Anyway...I own the Surefire E2DL (200L version) and think it is an outstanding light! Power is amazing and runtime is very nice considering the power but it has fulfills a certain role which is more of a defensive/tactical light. This is my EDC on me every day and I love it for that role. Now I am looking for a light that will provide decent power but one that will give me a longer runtime. I am thinking about situations like camping or where I may want several hours of runtime. I am also interested in a single cell light. This has led me to the E1L and E1B. I know the defferences in power and function and am really interested in the E1L at this point. SF's site says 45L for 8.5 hours; if this is an acurate statement and it does get close to 8 hours then this is the light I am after. My question for those that own the light is how close it comes to the 8 hour mark and does it stay at 45L the whole time? My other question is about the different versions I would like the newest which I believe is the one that is 45/3. I was looking at:
http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefiree1l.html
but it says Gen 2. and I am not sure it is the same one on SF web site? If it is not then I would have to get it from the SF site? Thanks guys and galls, I enjoy CPF...keeps me busy while at work :)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the E1L but I can say with certainty that the 8.5 hrs runtime only covers the low output. High power would probably fall in the 2 hrs range runtime.

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Low is supposed to be around 40hrs from what SF says. If it only gets 2 hours at 45L then I would be better off with the E1B at 80L for 1.3hrs?

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have one, i have not runtime tested it, but it is 45 lumens for 8.5 hrs as surefires website, its an awsome light :thumbsup:

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I have read that it was close to 8 hours somewhere but I had not heard any affirmative answeres. That sounds like it would be the light to fit the need. Did you get yours from the SF site? I would like to get the free batteries from LApolicegear but they are not clear on which version they have so is the safest thing to do just get it from SF?

carrot

Flashaholic
Low is supposed to be around 40hrs from what SF says. If it only gets 2 hours at 45L then I would be better off with the E1B at 80L for 1.3hrs?
Your call. I think the 45 lumen output is quite sufficient for my needs when hiking but you may feel otherwise.

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Ya, the 45 would be enough for hiking, but if it only ran 2 hours then I would be better off with the E1B and more power. But the E1L seems to really have close to the 8 hour run time so that is the way to go.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I have an E1L and it is an underrated light. I find that the 45L is only the tiniest bit less with my ceiling bounce test than my L1 and only a hair less than my E2L. However, I have not done a runtime test on high output. I use it regularly and it is still on the first battery so it feels like it runs forever on a single cell. I don't have the equipment to do a runtime test unfortunately.

If someone wants to run one I'll loan them my E1L to do so, however.

Personally I think the levels are very well chosena and quite practical for a two speed light.

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Carrot, my question know is on the versions and where to get the lates version other than SF's site?

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gatsby: Your affirmative answere is what I am looking for. I will be going with the E1L :) I just want to make sure I get the right version now.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L has about a 4 hour runtime at the 45 lumen setting before it becomes drastically dim. That's the point at which I change the battery.

The 45 lumen level beam certainly throws far enough for walks in the dark on unlit, rural roads. Though the TIR optic has some spill, the beam is narrow. Therefore, I'm prone to sweeping the E1L around to see what is along side my intended path. Same thing with the E2L.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
My experience is that you don't need more than 5-10 lumens for general camping, particularly if they're SF lumens, as long as you have a brighter light available for when the bear or moose shows up (the brighter light reveals that it's really a raccoon). So I would suggest that the E1B is quite adequate for the longer burntime feature, and for whatever reason it does have better specs than the Outdoorsman. Plus, I have the general idea that due to its intended 'critical use' population, the E1B got and still gets more attention from Surefire than the more civilian-use lights- and attention from the maker is always a good thing. Also, the 'melted' body of the E1B is easy on the clothing if you're going to be hiking etc.

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I read this and thought wow! 45 lumens for 8 hours! I'm looking at the Surefire site, the low 3 lumen setting appears to be the one with 8 hours of runtime. I'm sure on the 45 lumen high mode, it wouldn't go for more than 2 hours? Just looking at the Surefire site and find it odd that the current Lumamax L1 will do 10 lumens for 16 hours, but the E1L outdoorsman will only do 3 lumens for 8 hours?

Last edited:

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire's ratings for lumens and runtime aren't perfect. For example, my experience is that the high level of the E1L, E2L, E1B, and L1 are equally bright. I wouldn't expect the runtimes of the 1-cell Surefire lights to be vastly different.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have and like my E1L, and even thoh you mentioned 1 cell lights, and all the talk of the uncertain "runtime on high", I think the E2L may suit your needs better for a camping light. The runtime plots on the E2L are exactly in line with SF's...on high, you get 11 hours of 60 Lumen right on the money...as said before, the E2L is possibly the best regulated (comercially available) light in existence. So, if you want to know how much runtime you'll get, this is for you. 100 hours on 3 lumens is hard to beat as well. But, I don't think you'd be dissappointed in the E1L either...I'm not!

Fooboy

Enlightened
E1L is awesome. Got one for my dad for hiking the App Trail and camping.

The light is super small, and super light. It makes a great headlamp clipped to a hat brim as well.

Do not be fooled, the 45 lumens this thing cranks out is great - lots of throw. Pair it with an F04 defuser and you a fantastic floody low for in the tent and a trail illuminator on high. Pop off the F04 and you got throw that beats a reflectored light (of comporable lumens).

I compared it with my (sold) L1 and the difference was hardly noticeable.

The size, weight, output and ruggedness of the light make it a real winner that is - as others noted - totally under rated.

Heck, I should trade my E2L for an E1L.

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
OK Boss
I gotta E1L
Runtime on my unit 3 lm was right at 38 hrs give or take a few minutes
Runtime on high 45 lm was right on 4 hrs 26 minutes

now the weird thing is 45 lm on E1L dual is brighter than the 45 lm on my E2L single speed and a touch less than my 10/65 L1, so go figure.

But E2L single speed 45 lm is the whitest light i've ever seen . The E1L has yellow tint to it, not offensive at all. I had finally hooked up with Milky to custom out a LuxIII L1 but had to slam the breaks on it due to unforseen (spell error) monetary problems

And now my E1L edc is amazing and works flawlessly (knocks on wood) all I did was put an FO4 beam diffuser on it, got low flood ,high flood, low spot, high spot and great runtimes . No comolaints

I do a fair amount of hiking / and camping, and been in a few caves

Its probably the best light I own. You will be a happy camper with an E1L

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Loved the Raccoon comment Mr. Bigglow! The 3 or 5L would be fine for walks but besides this I want something strong enough to use for any night task in the woods and I think that I would prefer something closer to 45L. I just checked the SF site and must appologize...I was sure I had read (probably some other site) that the E1L was going to run 8.5 on high and around 40 on low. Interesting!?! The E2L you say has a 6 hour run?? That sounds like what I am after, that being a long runtime on high. I mean with the E2DL I have 200L for 2 hours so I would like to get something with longer run. I will check the E2L but I was sorta liking the 1 cell idea. Dissapointing that the E1L is only 4 hours but I guess that is not bad for a cingle cell. I would get the E1B in a heartbeat but the 1.3 hours on high just would not do :(

SuReFiReRs

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Riddick, I appreciate the run time chart!! You mentioned one thing that I was likeing about the single cell and that is using it as a headlamp. Would you mind telling me where the best place to get one is? Or do you recommend the SF site. I may check locally to see if it is around but am affraid I would get an older version.

You all have been Super helpfull and I hope that this thread will help others that look for info on these lights!

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
My headlamp E1L on a Boston Red Sox Baseball hat / can not be beat !!