Bad Batteries?

Hef

Newly Enlightened
I recently put new Panasonic batteries in my three month old LX2, I have used the light approximately 10 minutes with the new batteries. Tonight I grabbed my light to use outside and when I pushed the switch the beam started to pulsate very quickly. I could not get the light to stay on bright only flash,pulsate or whatever you want to call it.

I changed the batteries out and all seems fine right now. The batteries are stamped 08-2018, I hope I don't have a bad batch. I purchased them from a CPF sponsor who told me these batteries were very fresh, well when I received them they were stamped 08-2018. Is that considered fresh? I received the batteries in January of 2010. Anyway back to my problem is the pulsating,flashing the batteries or the light? I have used 3-4 sets of batteries with zero problems until now.

Thanks

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Sounds more like something's wrong with the light, batteries won't cause strobing/pulsing. You should invest in a decent multimeter with a battery load tester (Harbor Freight has one for $3: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=551)

Make sure the contacts and threads on your light are completely clean, that's the cause of most flashlight malfunctions; use something that doesn't have any lint/particles (makeup sponges are perfect for this) moistened with a tiny amount of rubbing alcohol.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do experience pulsating light from my LX2 when I inserted weak batteries inside. It pulses a couple of times before going to low mode. It is like the regulation circuitry in the LX2 could not decide if the available juice left in the batteries are enough for high output or should it regulate to low output. This usually happens when the batteries are not totally depleted and sometimes switching the light off and on again will cause it to go into high output and sometimes low output. Changing a fresh set of batteries should solve the problem.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already had such problems with batteries of different brands. It is always difficult to judge how long you used the light, in one case I was sure to have used it 10 to 15 minutes while it should last 1,5 hours...

I switched to rechargeables and only use primaries in lights (like Surefires) which don't accept rechargeables. If such a problem occurs, try another set of batteries, if the light runs OK, you simply had a bad cell. I only buy quality cells anymore, but you never know.

A multimeter or battery tester is definetely a good idea!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes, I always buy either Surefire or Energizer batteries for their reliability. There was once when I thought I would give the other brands a try and bought Sanyo as well as Panasonic. Bad choice.

Out of 2 boxes of 10 for the Sanyo, 6 of them looses power in my light even though the tailcap is locked out.

As for Panasonic, I too bought 20 pcs and out of which 11 of them looses power by itself.

I am very certain it is not my lights that causes the problem as I had them in my 2 cell lights like the M2, E2e, and E2L. Whenever my lights refuses to work, I would take out the batteries to check with my multimeter. To my surprise, one battery would measure 3.1V and the other measured 1.2V, or something like that. This is an indication that the battery is defective and does not hold the charge.

You would need a multimeter to check the batteries to know if they are faulty.

mfm

Enlightened
Oh yes, I always buy either Surefire or Energizer batteries for their reliability. There was once when I thought I would give the other brands a try and bought Sanyo as well as Panasonic. Bad choice.

Sounds like you bought fakes or the light is defective, since Panasonic is manufacturing the Surefire batteries. There is also little doubt that Sanyo can make batteries.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do know that Panasonic makes batteries for Surefire but just because panasonic makes Surefire batteries doesn't mean that they have the same level of quality control over their own products. I am not saying that as a known fact but rather based on assumption. What I am saying is that manufacturer who OEM products for another company usually does so under set of criteria and specifications set forth by their clients which may be different from their own.

And no, non of my lights are defective. It's been about 2 years ago and till now all the lights I have are still working like new. Maybe I was just unlucky to have bought defective batches but all I can say is I have no confidence in either Sanyo or Panasonic batteries. Have been using Energizer since I was a boy and have had no problems at all so I will stick to it.

mfm

Enlightened
What I am saying is that manufacturer who OEM products for another company usually does so under set of criteria and specifications set forth by their clients which may be different from their own.
Sure but I doubt Panasonic would sell non-working cells under their own brand. So exactly where did you buy these Panasonic and Sanyo batteries?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure but I doubt Panasonic would sell non-working cells under their own brand. So exactly where did you buy these Panasonic and Sanyo batteries?

Here in the local stores in Singapore. I am not too worried about buying fake products here as Singapore is a very small island country and the law enforcements here is very good. On top of that, being a small country, we lack critical mass and that means every customer counts. Most reputable shops would not want to get their name tarnished by the law and loose business.

Hef

Newly Enlightened
I tried both batteries in my E1B and one appears to be bad. I put two new ones in my LX2 and it's working fine. I know for sure that the batteries that I had in the light to begin with were used no more than 10 minutes.

Now I an concerned that there will be more bad batteriers in the batch of 50 that I bought.

Last edited: