Variable color temperature lamp

videoman

Enlightened
I am planning on making a variable color lamp from approx 3500K to 6000K using multiple cree XPG's that must be powered from 7,2 VDC to 14.4 VDC, and preferable have 2 controls, one dimmer and one color temp control.The enclosure size will be determined by the components needed but the battery is externally mounted from the lamp. It must have a total lumen output of approx 1800 to 2400 and I am not using lenses or reflectors, as I need just a diffuser to soften the light a bit.I was thinking of using 6 cool white (6000K) XPG's and 6 warm white (3200K) XPG's. Using 2 boost drivers ( one for cool and one for warm) each with it's own dimmer ( dimmer being a dual 20k ganged pot). Leds would be driven at 500ma or higher depending on lumen output. Can this work out ? or do I need to mix in some red and green leds into the stew?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't using cool XP-G's and Red or amber LED's work better? You could probably rig it up so that you could adjust the red/amber output against the cool white.

Adding Red or amber to cool white will also increase CRI, which is probably just as important as color temp.

---
You should contact Milkyspit. He did a mod a while ago where he had an M3 (I think) with four white Rebels, and a fifth red one. He said he spent a lot of time programming the driver so that color temperature would remain optimal as would CRI over the varying outputs.