Input On EDC Needed

Sleepy717

Newly Enlightened
I'm sort of nubee her and would like a little input from the crowd. I had a Fenix LD 10 for EDC and my wife decided she wanted a EDC light also. I bought her a Quark mini AA. She didn't like it, so she took my LD 10 (which I liked better than the Q AA). I still want a AA with a pocket clip, so I was thinking of ordering either a LD 10 Q5, a Quark AA R5 or the Quark Tactical R5. Other than the tail cap, is there any real difference in the Quarks? What does the crowd think of the difference between the Fenix and the Quarks?
Thank you in advance for your opinions,
Brent

Ksailork

Newly Enlightened
Other than the tail cap, is there any real difference in the Quarks?
Well, yes, they have different UI's. But back to the tail caps. The tactical will not tail stand. With an EDC, I cannot always predict the way I'll end up using the light. I place value on the ability to tail stand.

difference between the Fenix and the Quarks?
I like my Fenix LD10 as well as my Quarks. Only slightly different UI's IMHO (except the tactical). But again, the Fenix won't tail stand well so I do not use it as my EDC. Plus, it is a bit longer than the Quark.

Last edited:

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have bought three EDC lights in the past month.

They are:
1) Quark Tactical 123*2 XP-G R5 (OP reflector)
2) Fenix PD30 123*2 CREE XP-G R4 (SMO reflector)
3) EagleTac P20C2 MkII 123*2 (OP reflector)

The Fenix PD30 is small, perfect for EDC. But the Quark is the same size, and noticeably brighter. The Fenix lumen rating is higher, but rated at emitter, while the Quark lumen rating is OTF (out the front). The light coming out of the Quark is definitely brighter than the Fenix to my eye.

I totally love the Quark's UI. The forward-clicky Quark is the only one (of these three) that allows me to have a hi-power tactical strobe available in the first press (which can be momentary). You can program ANY two options on the Quark for immediate access, one of which will be available when head is tight, the other when head is loose. To me, this is the absolute best UI. But hey, everyone's different, so pick and choose the UI carefully depending on your wants and needs.

The EagleTac slightly outshines the Quark for sheer lumens-power, but the EagleTac is a little bit bigger than the Quark. Plus, the EagleTac (like the Fenix) requires two presses to get a tactical strobe. In a high-stress self-defense situation, I do not want to have to remember two presses, I will be too busy worrying about surviving - I simply want to hit the switch and have tactical strobe immediately available. But of course, this may be of no concern to you.

My vote goes to the Quark Tactical 123*2 XP-G R5 as the best EDC light of the three. It's bright, lightweight, fits in pocket real easy and has a great UI, with tactical strobe immediately accessible.

My next choice would be the EagleTac P20C2 MkII. It has the most lumens of the three, no doubt.

My last choice would be the Fenix PD30. The SMO (smooth) reflector makes the spot too focused.

The main reason I went for the Quark Tactical 123*2 version, is because I want something that slips into my pocket very easily. If you buy the CR123 batteries in bulk, they are fairly cheap.

Here's pics of my most recent lights:

edc-lights.jpg

-

joe1512

Enlightened
Have you considered a keychain light? That would work better for her, since it is a lot lighter to put in her purse.

Also, I have really liked EDCing mine. I wouldnt carry around a 2xAA flashlight, but a 2.3 inch by 0.8 inch diameter keychain light is pretty reasonable.
I use the itp A1 EOS SS which was 32 bucks and has a 3,30,200+ lumen mode and solid flood. Since it is twisty-activated, it won't come on in my pocket unlike switched lights.

I wonder why she didn't like the Quark mini?

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
my wife decided she wanted a EDC light also. I bought her a Quark mini AA. She didn't like it, so she took my LD 10

what was it about the Quark mini she didn't like? (I'm curious as I'll be buying a light for my girlfriend soon)