LED drop in for Z2

aboyd

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I am new to the forum, and have been doing a little reading. I have a SF Z2 that I would like to change over to LED, and I am trying to choose the best option. I do not use the light that much now, I have several Fenix lights and a few other LED's, but I have the rally nice Z2 that I just can't stand not to use from time to time, so I want to change it to LED. I want to get the best bang for my buck, but don't want to spend too much, since I have other good lights. I was leaning towards the P60L as it seems to be the least expensive "good" option. I tried a $10 drop in from Deal Extreme, and it works OK, but sometimes it jus won't come on and I have to loosen or tighten the bezel to get it to work. Should I just spring for the M60, or get the P60L? I don't need the brightest option, I want a mix between good bright light and good run times. Thanks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, just get one of Gene Malkoff's drop-ins.

You won't be disappointed.

22hornet

Enlightened
An M60LL with the same output as that P60L but between four and eight times the runtime at full blast is $39 right now. So is the M60LF; brighter, but broader.

Hello,

+1 for the M60LL Malkoff, or otherwise, I would just take the Surefire P60L module. Output is about the same between the two modules.
M60LL has more throw than the P60L, the P60L with it's texturised reflector is a lot floodier, so it may also depend on your taste when it comes to "beam-characteristics".
FWIW: the P60L module weights less and you won't have the "Malkoff-gap" between the head and the battery tube. The P60L module will also fit in different Surefire Battery holders, designed for P60-P90 modules.

Keep well,
Joris

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
I just put an M61 in my Z2!!! Great drop-in at a great price. Only problem is they are hard to come by right now!!! You can never go wring with a Malkoff, beams are perfect!!!

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
This > I just put an M61 in my Z2!!! Great drop-in at a great price. Only problem is they are hard to come by right now!!! You can never go wring with a Malkoff, beams are perfect!!!

Or this > Any Malkoff. Choose by runtime and output.

carrot

Flashaholic
Malkoff M61. They are a little scarce right now but when you get your hands on one you will NOT be disappointed.

aboyd

Newly Enlightened
Well, ordered the M60LL. It will be as bright as I need it, and the long run time will be nice. Thanks for the info guys.