Modification question

Achileas7

Newly Enlightened
Hi i am new here and i want to ask a question about modification. I have a not so good maglite with output about 100 lumens. This flashlight works with 3 C batteries. Now my question is if i can change the led with a better cree led 3.6 v and using CR123A batteries witch is the same size as C batteries (as far as i know). Does this modification can be done easely or will i have to do more things to work

Gunner12

Flashaholic
CR123 batteries are 16mm wide and 34mm long, while a C cell is 26.2mm wide and 50mm long. Not the same size.

Which Maglite is it? An incan version or a LED version? With the incan version (not outputting 100 lumen, more like 35-40 lumen), you can buy a drop-in and keep using the C cells (many recommend Malkoff's drop-ins, also look at the terralux drop-in).

If you want to do a mod yourself, I'd suggest looking at the mod section of the forums. As a quick list, you'll need a LED, a heatsink, and the appropriate resistor or driver.

Achileas7

Newly Enlightened
its a led version. As i was wrong about the battery size if a buy those drop in is it hard to do the modification?. If you have a tutorial or you know where to find one please tell me. Thx

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff devices sells drop-ins for Mag's and other lights. But I think their models only work with the incandescent models (which have a different reflector than the MagLED lights).

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Do you know which LED version is it? Does it have an incan replacement bulb in the tailcap?

If it does, then you can either go for a mod or a drop-in.

If it does not, then you have one of the more recent Maglites and probably don't need replacement.

How are you guessing the 100 lumen figure?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff devices sells drop-ins for Mag's and other lights. But I think their models only work with the incandescent models (which have a different reflector than the MagLED lights).

I believe Mag doesn't have any Rebel C models out yet (although they said before x-mas 2009 :shakehead). The 3C reflector in your model will be the same as an incan Mag's. Malkoff makes a great drop-in, and sells a modified reflector, allowing you to still use alkaline Batteries.