Help finding a personal Headlamp

andyw513

Enlightened
I'm looking for a newer headlamp because my old one is outdated. My eveready Incan/LED 3xAAA just isn't bright enough anymore!

I'm searching for a completely waterproof (meaning I can wear it in a downpour with no worries) light that enables me to see around 20-40 feet ahead of me.

I'd also like to have a runtime of at least 5-10 hours, possibly with rechargable batteries.

I'll be using this both outdoors and indoors.

Color tint of beam is no issue, throw/spill are not issues, and weight doesn't matter either. The only thing I'd like to do is keep it under $100 dollars. Any help at all is appreciated.

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I prefer a Zebralight for comfort but I'm sure the Petzl Tikka and Princeton Tec EOS would also work well.

woodentsick

Enlightened
I second the Princeton Tec EOS, it's waterproof to IPX7 standards meaning it can easily handle downpours, it's about $30-35 and it's very bright for it's 3AAA battery configuration.

Runtime on high w/ alkalines - 121 hours
It can handle rechargeables and lithiums as well

I think the EOS would serve you much better than the Petzl Tikka as it is brighter, more waterproof and more effecient and it is also regulated.

carrot

Flashaholic
Surefire Saint or Saint Minimus is one of the best headlamps out there. I wrote a review recently... I have used it extensively indoors and taken it on two night hikes since I got it (last month) and I am incredibly happy with it. There is no headlamp out there that offers a better way to switch between different output levels. It is also waterproof and tough as nails. Slightly above your budget, but IMHO it is worth it. This is the BMW/Audi/(snobby performance car of choice) of headlamps.

I have also heard great things about the PT EOS and Apex Pro. I have been meaning to try them but I have not yet gotten around to it. From just playing with them in the store, however, they aren't quite as nice or as elegant to use as the Saint. However, you will save a bit of money.

cistallus

Enlightened
Zebralights are great but for the 20-40ft for 5-10hrs that the OP wants, the AA or 123 models won't cut it. I'm assuming that for that distance you'd need to run on high, and they only do a couple hours at that level. (Of course if medium level was sufficient, then their runtime would be fine).

The 18650 model (H60) gets closer, rated at 4hrs on high (110 lumens, not the 190 lumens max level, that's 2 hours).

The reco of a Surefire Saint is probably better since it has a multi-cell battery pack (but not the Saint Minimus since it's also only a single 123 cell), and you can fine-tune the brightness vs. runtime.

I just don't like 3AAA formats for anything.

vaska

Newly Enlightened
Fenix are very good headlamps, but it's ONLY HEADlamps in fact.

Is the threadstarter looking for something more than just a headlamp? :)

The only Zebra's imperfection is that it's really not waterproof.

Last edited:

Misan

Newly Enlightened
Who is missing 10 lm, but to somebody 300 lm little, so we the need to offer andyw513 options and he should see them in action and understand that it is more appropriate.

Misan

Newly Enlightened
You are a lucky man :)
Zebra's lens is molded without any gasket, so its water resistance is a case of luck.
What about - "Waterproof to IPX8"? I have not heard yet that the zebra's water is passed.
Maybe you try to dive with it?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the Energizer Hard Case Professional LED Headlight.

It seems like it should hold up fine in the rain, but I don't know if it has an actual waterproof "rating" , but it meets all your other criteria.

At $19.99 shipped, it's an excellent deal on a good headlamp. It comes with a Lifetime warranty too.:thumbsup:

Peter

andyw513

Enlightened
I apologize for any confusion with this thread, I only meant to ask for help finding a headlamp for camping, outdoor usage, and maybe searching old buildings that have no electricity. Thanks for the help so far though, it is very helpful to me.

Misan

Newly Enlightened
I apologize for any confusion with this thread, I only meant to ask for help finding a headlamp for camping, outdoor usage, and maybe searching old buildings that have no electricity. Thanks for the help so far though, it is very helpful to me.
In a dispute born the truth. ;)

andyw513

Enlightened
Thanks for the help, vaska. That's a great collection of different shots and just what I needed: indoor and out. Now to save up for one, haha.