Murphys Law Comes True

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I would like to see if anyone else believes in Murphys Law. I was going to Guitar Center with a friend of mine a few years ago and it was a spur of the moment trip, need some strings anyway its in the middle of summer here in Michigan and so we drive there and were looking around and all of a sudden we here a tornado siren and the hole place goes black out of instinct I reach in my pocket to grab my cheap single cell light I always carry and guess what its not there I forgot to put it in my pocket that day. To this day that is the real first emergency I have every been in where my light would save the day. So people we pulling out there cell phones to try to find the basement till a employee went down stairs and found a flashlight that was as bright as our cell phones were. From that day on I have never left my house without three things My Glock 26, My Damascus Pocket knife and a well made Flashlight of some kind right now its a Quark Preon AAA titanium. So I may never be in that situation again but I feel if I forget something again that it will happen once more. That Murphy is a *****.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
I never leave the house without a light of some sort in each front pocket-an E01 and an LD01, or a Quark mini aa in both, and a Quark AA in my tool pouch. Never forget-2 is 1 and 1 is none! :thumbsup:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
Glad you learned something but remember...two is one, one is none. Throw another light in there.

@mon90ey - beat me by seconds....

Last edited:

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
First hand experience of Stewart's corollary to Murphy's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
LOL... Yes Murphy's law is something I live by.... it can and will happen:mecry:

Not a bad place to be stuck in a tornado... bust out a pignose, some D batteries and start jamming.:twothumbs

Larbo

Enlightened
I believe, I also believe the one time I somehow dont have all my edc stuff with me thats the day that the s*it hits the fan.
So even at work during the day I have 3 or 4 lights and extra batteries, hell I had my Ti Quark on my belt blowing snow out of my driveway at noon time.
I know Iam not the only one...:thumbsup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe, I also believe the one time I somehow dont have all my edc stuff with me thats the day that the s*it hits the fan.
So even at work during the day I have 3 or 4 lights and extra batteries, hell I had my Ti Quark on my belt blowing snow out of my driveway at noon time.
I know Iam not the only one...:thumbsup:

LOL! I was doing PT at 3:30 PM the other day, and was like "why the hell do I have my light on me?", but my "better half" said "you never know". So there I am, running 1.5 miles at high-noon, out in the open, with my E1B/C2...Yer not the only one...Murphy's a sneaky little SOB too...

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty scary being in Guitar Center without a light... hopefully you did have the Glock.

I was in the mall the other day and the escalator quit working. I made it out alive but never again will I let myself be in that situation.

Now I carry two ladders with me everywhere I go...two is one and one is none.

:nana:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Well, not really Murphy's Law

its Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives, or Anything that can go wrong, will—at the worst possible moment

Murphy, Supposedly, stated "If there is any way to do it wrong, he will". referring to the installation of some strain guages on a g-force testing rig or something. Basically, he is saying that if there are two ways to do something, that you will probably do it the wrong way. This is designed to make things only work one way.

Can't be bothered looking up the two references on wikipedia, but the differences are there

toadman

Newly Enlightened
That's why one thing U can do is to have 1 of the lights on your key ring. Wallet, keys & cellphone I always bring. EDC is not always automatic for me.

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Got caught by Murphy on a scout camp out, in a thunderstorm, with a burnt out bulb and no spare.:ohgeez: After that the first thing that always goes in a pocket is some kind of light and a spare in case it dies.

Murphy can be such a cruel teacher.:sick2:

Per-Sev

Enlightened
That's pretty scary being in Guitar Center without a light... hopefully you did have the Glock.

I was in the mall the other day and the escalator quit working. I made it out alive but never again will I let myself be in that situation.

Now I carry two ladders with me everywhere I go...two is one and one is none.

:nana:
Maybe the fact that there was a tornado coming had a little to do with the issue ever seen what a flying V can do to you at 150mph. Now that you mention that you carry two ladders everywhere I knew I saw you before pushing that shopping cart full of bottles down the street and those two ladders dragging behind you. Man you must get tired but at least you are prepared. :nana:

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Oh, absolutely Mr Bigglow. My first was a small Tekna LED keychain light that I came across not long after that memorable night.

It ran on hard to find button cells and wasn't that bright, but it was barely noticeable hanging on a dog tag chain around ones neck, always available and had no filament to break if it fell or hit anything.

After that, nothing but LED's for this now much wiser Scout.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of those situations got me into this whole flashlight mess. Had a power outage running sound for a show back in 2006; would have been no big deal if I hadn't lent my headlamp and mini mag to two of the spot ops. Found Arc through EDCF and that was that. I've had an AAA-P on me daily since then.