Anything out ther brighter at a distance than our flashlight?

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
We use a CBT-90 LED with 4D 11,000mah batteries. Our technology uses light recycling and a 50mm aspheric. How do you add a picture?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is always something brighter :) From my experience SST-90 with 50mm aspherical will have less than 50k lux.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, is this a question on a product, or an advertisement? I believe the rules state that advertising a product is not allowed.

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
How can it be an advertisement if I haven't even showed anything yet. lol

Anyways its just a prototype. We license the technology to produce a very narrow angle beam with high efficiencies. Kinda like 3M. We made a prototype just to show what "light recycling" is all about.

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
There is always something brighter :) From my experience SST-90 with 50mm aspherical will have less than 50k lux.

CBT-90-W

Introduction

The CBT-90 White Series LEDs are presently available in a chip-on-board (CoB) package, non-lensed. Developed to provide a product configuration that is both easy to integrate as well as to provide a package architecture that allows the LED's to be operated at levels not seen in the market.

Features
  • High Output – 800 lumens (6500K at high efficiency) or up to 2200 lumens (6500K at full output)
  • Large, single chip with an emitting surface area of 9.0 mm2
  • High thermal conductivity package with a package thermal resistance of only 0.8° C/W
  • Integrated thermistor allows for real-time monitoring of the LED's temperature
  • Lumen maintenance of greater than 70% after 60,000 hours
  • Variable drive current from less than 1 A to 13 A
  • Available in a variety of Correlated Color Temperatures (CCT's) per ANSI C78-377-2008
  • Designed with a standard on-board connector

Benefits

• Allows designers to replace LED arrays with a single LED
  • Single high output LED source simplifies system design (optics, power, control, etc.)
  • Non-lensed design allows for easy integration with specialized secondary optics
  • Instant "ON" eliminates the warm-up time typically seen with traditional light sources
  • Mercury-free, RoHS compliant environmentally-friendly technology
  • Outstanding reliability and durability beyond what traditional, glass-based light sources can achieve
  • Lumen output range that can provide industry standard efficiency as well as industry leading light output from a single package

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
We won't know until his next post or next few posts. Right now, we don't even know how "bright" his light even is...yet.

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Wait, is this a question on a product, or an advertisement? I believe the rules state that advertising a product is not allowed.

Since he's posted no links, brand or model names - just a small selection of technical data - I don't see how it could possibly be considered an advertisement. :thinking:

Something of a vague question though - to make anything approaching an accurate comparison you'd have to take lux readings from the OP's light and it's nearest competitors at a fixed distance, in the same conditions (i.e. on the same night) and using the same lux meter. And even then it comes down to how you perceive "brightness" - a tightly-focused light could give a higher lux reading than a more floody model even if the tightly-focused one produces fewer actual lumens, if you get my drift?

The beam from my $3, 5mW laser pointer is much "brighter" at 200 metres than that from my car's 55-watt halogen headlights, but the tiny spot of light from the laser is no use at all for illuminating anything.

stallion2

Enlightened
describing something as being "brighter" still says surprisingly little. your run of the mill XR-E w/ an appropriate lens or optic will give a higher lux reading than an SST-90.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think he is refering to Luminus CBT-90 and 4d nimh cells

kramer5150

Flashaholic
sounds interesting....
Send one to cpf member bigchelis. Hes the only one with a calibrated sphere... and he tests for steady-state lumens not instant-peak.

Good Luck bringing it to market!!
:thumbsup:

stallion2

Enlightened
NO!!!!!!!! SEND ME A DEMO, I HAVE AN SR90 TO COMPARE IT TO. IT'S THE CURRENT HIGH WATER MARK FOR LEDs SO WHY NOT. THEN I'LL SEND IT TO BIGCHELIS FOR TESTING....PROMISE.:D

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
We have a lumens meter here. It will hit about 700-800 on a fresh set of batteries? We can a hold 1-2 degree angle and our spot is either rectangular and it will image the LED or circular if we use a light pipe or light recycling collar.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
We have a lumens meter here. It will hit about 700-800 on a fresh set of batteries but the true lumens test is how tight a spot you can achieve at a distance. Is there such a standard set ? We can a hold 1-2 degree angle and our spot is either rectangular and it will image the LED or circular if we use a light pipe or light recycling collar.

This is incorrect... a lumen test needs to be performed in an integrating sphere. It is the total sum of emitted light from a source.

The brightness of spot at a given distance is the Lux, not Lumen output.

There is no such thing as a "lumen meter"... At least not without an integrating sphere to accompany it.

Last edited:

enginyr

Newly Enlightened
SST-90 is a 30watt LED. CBT-90 is a 50watt LED

Last edited: