Which single level SureFire?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm thinking about putting together a good, simple single-level SureFire light for general "emergency" use...power outage, car breakdown, hurricane, EOTWAWKI - whatever. Rugged, moderate light output, long runtime.

I'm thinking of either a G2 with a Malkoff M60LL, or a KX2 head on an E2E body.

What is the actual OTF lumen rating of the M60LL and the KX2 and what are your opinions on the M60 beam versus the TIR beam for general use? I have an E1L, but have not seen a Malkoff in person.

Is there another 2 x CR123 or maybe even 2 x AA light that any of you would recommed over my two choices? If so, I'd like to keep the cost down to about $100. I have a gift certificate for a local shop I can use towards the G2 or E2E :), so I'm really just out the cost of the Malkoff or the KX2 head.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
bc measured my E2L/KX2 at 110L with RCR123 cells. It is a 2 mode light, but its such a simple UI, I am confident recommending it. It will run for a little over 2 hours with 2x RCR123 cells, ~2.5 times that with primaries. It will also run regulated off a 17670, so its very flexible in terms of Vin.

IIRC the M60L is in the 140L neighborhood and M60LL is around 80L.

As far as beam patterns go, the two are very similar with the E2L being a little more spot-throwey, and a more abrupt distinction between spot and spill.

E2L is on the left, and M60 on the right.
dscn2498.jpg

Last edited:

Agile54

Newly Enlightened
This > Surefire G3/G3L with a Malkoff M60L/M60LL < what AngelofWar said.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't go wrong with that combo. M60/l/LL with 3 cells for greater run time plus the Nitrolon is a all around material for when the weather changes.

And due to the nitrolon body, you won't do this :mecry:when you drop it...those nitrolon bodies are tough as nails, and have no finish to nick/damage. And, as JP2515 hinted at, they stay warm when the temperature starts dropping...

txgp17

Enlightened
Any 3 cell Surefire with a M60LL should run about 12 hours continuously before dropping out of regulation.

That would be my choice.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just going to ditto the G3 + M60LL recommendation. The M60LLF might be more to your liking. I used one of these with an 18650 cell, hosted by a solarforce and its a really nice light, if you are a fan of close-range flood.

Siskik

Newly Enlightened
I also choose the G2/G3 w/ Malkoff M60L/LL. (I've had the rest)

Reasons:

1) Beam profile is far more useful. The very best and most useful beam I have ever had. Good hotspot which nicely transitions to a sort of secondary hot spot, but much larger but still plenty of light, and finally spilling into an all encompassing corona that illuminates about 180 degrees in front of the light. But all transitions are smooth enough for useful activity. In other words, there's no cut off in the profile. Everything is lit up in front of you.

2) Tint has always been better than SF. Every last one of my M60L/LL have had very good tints.

3) You can get the Novatac clip for your G2. At Lighthound.com, just type in Novatac clip in the search box. Only $4.99. I have two. Don't forget to get the o-ring. Lighthound will tell you which one.

4) There is no knurling to rip your pockets up. But plenty of grip.

5) I recommend the "black" G2 because it is a thru-body color, as opposed to HAIII anodizing, which will chip eventually and show bare metal. In other words, the G2 black stays looking new longer.

6) The Malkoff brass housing is heatsink city.

7) You can run 3.7 volt rechargeables with all Malkoffs.

8) You can sell your M60L/LL easily on CPFMP.

9) Gene Malkoff has unsurpassed Customer Service.

10) At least 8 hours at full power from my M60LL on two primaries (Energizer).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

SureAddicted

Enlightened
If so, I'd like to keep the cost down to about $100. I have a gift certificate for a local shop I can use towards the G2 or E2E :), so I'm really just out the cost of the Malkoff or the KX2 head.

I would recommend the E2E. It's one of SureFire's best flashlights..IMHO.
With the G2/G3, your kind of stuck using low powered LA's, due to heat being an issue with higher output LA's.
With the E2E, smaller size, you can use KX Series or KL series heads. If you want to use D26 dropins, an E2C adaptor + bezel or a VME (I think that's the correct name) is all you would need to use the dropin of your choice. You can purchase from the BST a E series modded head with maybe an mce or sst emitter, or mod it yourself. You can use an E2D tailcap if you want tailstand ability. You have more lego options with an E2E, and being smaller than the G2 you would probably have it on your person more often.
If your in that kind of environment where an aluminium flashlight is too cold to hold, I think I'd be wearing gloves.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried many combinations but ended up with SF 6P clone from FiveMega and M60L.

I can run either 18650 in it for 120 lumens and slightly longer runtime or 2x123 for full 140 lumens and slightly shorter runtime. Both about 4 hours.

Of course I can always take the module and put it in a 2x18650 body or a Surefire 9P, for even more lumens/runtime.

My 2nd favorite choice is a one-of a kind module, M60 that runs from 5-12V, so it won't be powered in 6P sized lites. I run it in a 4x123 lite with good runtime and full 235 lumens. Or you can use 2x18650 in the same lite for also great runtime.

JCD

Enlightened
So I'm thinking about putting together a good, simple single-level SureFire light for general "emergency" use...power outage, car breakdown, hurricane, EOTWAWKI - whatever. Rugged, moderate light output, long runtime.

A stock Surefire 6PL (or G2L) meets all of your stated requirements.

Latest posts