MQN06 OK for a trip?

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Family's heading out on what has steadily become an annual trip somewhere in the states.... This time we're going on a cruise in late August.

I plan on bringing a 2AA light (Not gonna risk the D10 Tribute, not willing to lose it... still haven't decided between buying the SA2 or P20A2 Mk. II, leaning heavily to the SA2 since BatteryJunction stocks it, and I want the photon freedom micro UV from them as well), and wondered if the MQN06 would suffice? Yes i'm bringing spare cells along with me, and I do have a Maha C9000 which is staying at home, but the MQN's more compact and should fit easily in luggage (hm should I bring a power cord in case its too wide for the wall sockets...). Cell balancing therefore shouldn't be an issue, they'll have a nice refresh cycle by the time they hit home (which they're due in for by the end of summer anyway).

My main point of concern would be is the MQN06 -delta controlled, or is it a timer based unit? My general light usage allows the D10 to run solidly for a month before needing a charge, however Cruise ship cabins with no windows are frankly stupidly dark at any hour of the day when the lights are off (not to mention the switches are so far away) so it'll be serving duty as a general room light and night stand light (and a bike light when I get home). The lights being 2AAs, I'd think the imbalance between cells would be low, so concerns are primarily how the unit reacts to partially charged cells.

My feeble attempts at searching have not found any details about this, only the general Sanyo charger threads which skim over the units other than the MQN05 and assorted single channel chargers.

I appreciate any info!
- Surnia

Niconical

Enlightened
The MQN06 charges in pairs, and it will stop charging a pair when both batteries in the pair are full. So, not timer based.

This is fine if you are using a pair (like in a D20) then topping off, but you mentioned a D10, single cell.

I don't see it as a problem for your trip though. Use a AA in the D10 for "a while", change the battery and use that one for "a while", then charge them both together. There will be a difference in how much each one needs to be charged, but it won't be much, and it's only a temporary situation while you're away from home.

If you want a new one, a good alternative would be the Duracell mobile charger, 4 separate slots, and you can charge USB devices with it like an ipod. You don't need to have batteries in it for that either, connect charger to wall outlet, connect ipod to charger, done.
Note: The link is just an example, you can get it cheaper from various places.

ronkar

Newly Enlightened
The Duracell Mobile, with 4 independent channels may still be found at Toys-R-Us on clearance. I had to dig, but I found 2. They run on 120/240 and 12V (with cord not supplied). The unit also has a USB slot for devices that can be charged via USB.

Not sure if there are any such stores in your neighborhood.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
Going out and purchasing one aside (I already have a $126 shopping cart at the ready for BatteryJunction....), we already have an MQN06 from when we got our original set of Eneloops... I almost got sucked into getting an SC-C3 until it clicked that I don't need independent charging for a one week trip where they'll be used in pairs (unless I need to loan singles out, but then I'd just trickle them back up to even with the MQN, then refresh once we get back).

Toys R Us is actually relatively far for me, none local. thanks for the info though Ronkar!

ronkar

Newly Enlightened
We are planning a trip to a 240V country in the coming months. I was going to take the MQN06 with me.

However, somebody else posted about the Duracell Mobile, and I went out to get it specifically because it has 4 channels. I use a single AA light for EDC, and on the trip, my companions may have some cheap 3 AAA lights.

Being that we are going to be away from the big cities, we may need lights to find the "facilities" at night, so I want all of the flashlights to be working by nightfall. Hence the need for odd numbers and odd sizes at the same time.

The few times I used the MQN06, it worked OK, but the pairs I charged were within 0.02V of each other to start with. Termination was fine, even on a pair which started at 1.37V. They charged quickly, without heating up. You should be fine with your two AA lights.

Surnia

Newly Enlightened
We are planning a trip to a 240V country in the coming months. I was going to take the MQN06 with me.

However, somebody else posted about the Duracell Mobile, and I went out to get it specifically because it has 4 channels. I use a single AA light for EDC, and on the trip, my companions may have some cheap 3 AAA lights.

Being that we are going to be away from the big cities, we may need lights to find the "facilities" at night, so I want all of the flashlights to be working by nightfall. Hence the need for odd numbers and odd sizes at the same time.

The few times I used the MQN06, it worked OK, but the pairs I charged were within 0.02V of each other to start with. Termination was fine, even on a pair which started at 1.37V. They charged quickly, without heating up. You should be fine with your two AA lights.
sounds good, and thanks for your insight!

yes, its quite nice running with a Maha, everything charges out to 1.44V every single time xD

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The Duracell Mobile Charger is a good unit, and it has been on at clearance prices (<$20.00, with 4 LSD cells) in Canada at Canadian Tire, as well as Staples. Depending on when you'd need to purchase it may be again. Note that it is available packaged with 0, 2, or 4 LSD rechargeable cells - if you're especially lucky, the cells will be the white-topped "Duraloop" re-badged Eneloops.

Another option for a four position single channel charger, well suited to Eneloops, is the Sanyo MQH03, which is available from Dell Canada as part of the ECH4400 pack, including 4xAA & 4xAAA Eneloops and a car cord for the charger. Currently it's on sale.

MQH03

- Syncytial