Question for Afghanistan Vets

rideandshoot

Newly Enlightened
My best friend's son just deployed to Afghanistan with the Marine Core. I'm not sure of the exact base other than he said he will be in the "northern most Marine base". I want to buy him a flashlight and am wondering what battery format would work the best over there?

Thanks.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Marine Corps" (not pronounced corpse)

Probably CR123 based would be best. That's what the military uses for its tac-lights, etc.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
most likely he will be issued the appropriate moon beam....you might want to send him some beef jerky and some bricks of skoal to barter with when he arrives at the sandbox. Oh yeah...a uv scorpion detecting photon is not a bad thing to have either.:whistle:

swampgator

Enlightened
"Marine Corps" (not pronounced corpse)

Probably CR123 based would be best. That's what the military uses for its tac-lights, etc.

A bro of mine has done 2 trips to Iraq and is soon going to A'stan. He's a battalion motor sergeant. He told he's swimming in CR123s. I can't argue with him.

gorn

Enlightened
My son just came home from Afghanistan. He carried a CR123 based light. His Combat outpost was on the Pakistani boarder and couldn't hardly get bottled water on a regular basis, but they had tons of CR123's.

He spent a year in Iraq too. Same thing, CR123's are always there for the troops.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on the 123's. They're supplied through the supply system since 99% of the weapon lights use them, plus the alkalines (AA's, etc.), don't hold up well in the extreme colds and hots of the 'Stan. Best of luck to him, and God-Speed.

most likely he will be issued the appropriate moon beam....you might want to send him some beef jerky and some bricks of skoal to barter with when he arrives at the sandbox. Oh yeah...a uv scorpion detecting photon is not a bad thing to have either.:whistle:

Better than a UV photon is the UV version offered by Inova, in the X1 form factor. Indestructible construction; and when used with a 1.5v Energizer AA lithium primary, it overcomes the heat fade common to alkaline cells in the desert. Friends who spend a lot of time outdoors in the southwest report the light's UV spot is enormously useful in scorpion spotting.

Last edited: