Broken D10, pls help

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Long time reader, first time poster.
I've owned my D10 for a year and a half now, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately last night it took a turn for the worse when it broke in half. I have been a huge supporter of both Nitecore and 4sevens, giving many D10s away for gifts. I picked Nitecore over Fenix (LD10) at the time because I liked the UI better, however I did like Fenix's warranty and track record better. Now I'm paying for it. Neither Nitcore nor 4sevens will replace/repair.

a) Any way to fix D10 (any place selling just the housing for cheap)?

b) Need something comparable, same price range, AA, size etc, better warranty...maybe LD10..best place to buy???

all help appreciated
thanks
gnu

Zendude

Enlightened
:welcome: even though it sounds like you've been lurking quite awhile.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but around the time the D10 came out 4sevens had a lifetime warranty on Nitecore products. They have since changed that but if you bought it under those conditions they should still honor it. I know this was the case when I bought my D10 GDP. Seems like there were a few lemons that got threads cut a little too deep in the first run. I doubt you'd have a problem now.

If I am wrong I'd still consider getting the D10 Tribute.

If you really like the piston drive, ramping brightness, last mode mesmerized, low low, momentary, clicky or twisty combo the LD10 just ain't gonna cut it.:wave:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've contacted Nitecore? If you haven't, do so. As far as my experience with their customer service, they've been pretty helpful. But of course if you're asked to send back the light or something, it might take a while to reach them, repair/replace and send it back.

A year and a half ago means yours is probably the first batch where D10s have thinner walls, this is rectified in the later batches, especially for the R2 version onwards. So I'm quite sure this rare problem wouldn't occur again if you want to get a new D10. Since you've given many D10 away as gifts and you still like the UI, perhaps treat yourself to a new one.

Last edited:

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses.
I've emailed Nitecore and am still waiting for a response.
I can't find the original box (thanks wife) but mine was also a GDP purchased in Sep of '08, pretty sure it was one of the first batches.
I thought that 4sevens had a long warranty on the Nitecore as well, especially since this was a common problem at the time, however they tell me differently now.
Still a little skeptical on buying another Nitecore when other brands have a better warranty. My brother's mocking me now cause he owns multiple Fenix lights and has never had a problem.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there is some custom titanium bodys for the d10 out there. I dont remember who's making them, or the excact cost, but they were really expensive. Try a search if your interested, and maby you can scavange your old d10 and get a brand new looking funky titanium d10.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought all my D10 from 4sevens and I have started buying them since the very first version. Nowhere did I remember 4sevens giving lifetime warranty for Nitecore products. Fenix yes, but Nitecore no.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses.
I've emailed Nitecore and am still waiting for a response.
I can't find the original box (thanks wife) but mine was also a GDP purchased in Sep of '08, pretty sure it was one of the first batches.
I thought that 4sevens had a long warranty on the Nitecore as well, especially since this was a common problem at the time, however they tell me differently now.
Still a little skeptical on buying another Nitecore when other brands have a better warranty. My brother's mocking me now cause he owns multiple Fenix lights and has never had a problem.
gnu, you remembers correctly. here is the thread discussing the change of warranty from the dealer. read post #30 for official respond.
==> 4sevens policy on lifetime Fenix & Nitecore warranty: see post #30
;)

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
gnu, you remembers correctly. here is the thread discussing the change of warranty from the dealer. read post #30 for official respond.
==> 4sevens policy on lifetime Fenix & Nitecore warranty: see post #30
;)

The OP is talking about Nitecore products. According to your link, what is the relevance to Fenix? Fenix and Nitecore are two differing brands and as far as I can recall, there isn't any lifetime warranty from 4sevens on Nitecore products, unless of course I have missed that out.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks
I knew that I'd seen a Lifetime Warranty on Nitecore from 4Sevens somewhere. Just not sure if it got retracted sometime after that 2008 post. It's a moot point now though.

Also, I just heard back from Nitecore directly, they want me to send the light back directly so they can fix it (to China), and if any replacement parts are needed, I'll have to pay for those.

Not sure if I'm going that route.
Might just be a good excuse to buy a new light.

Do any lights still offer a lifetime warranty?

this is just fyi...
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?p=2174427
anyway, if you are interested to get more information, you can either contact the dealer direct or continue the discussion in the link provided in my previous post. :grin2:

gnu, maybe you could contact kuku427 (Steve) from cpfmarketplace to see if he has any extra D10 body, in Ti? :poke:

arcel1t

Newly Enlightened
I might be able to help you.
I had a D10 GDP that broke in half a couple of months ago.
The damage was limited to the head so I have a D10 body in working condition (not perfect it has some scrathes in the finish).

Depending on where you are located I might be able to ship it to you for free.

Zendude

Enlightened
Thanks
I knew that I'd seen a Lifetime Warranty on Nitecore from 4Sevens somewhere. Just not sure if it got retracted sometime after that 2008 post. It's a moot point now though.

Dude, I also bought in Sept. 08 and they did have that lifetime warranty still. They should still honor it. Call them back and get an explanation!:scowl:

Zendude

Enlightened
The damage was limited to the head so I have a D10 body in working condition (not perfect it has some scrathes in the finish).

Dude, YOU ROCK!:rock:

lovecpf

But chances are it was the head that broke on his as well.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Do any lights still offer a lifetime warranty?
- SureFire
- Pelican
- Ra Lights
are fews that I can think of that have proven records, I'm sure there are others, however, note that for single cell, these are often offer in CR123A-size instead of D10's AA.

gnu

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the offer, however mine is the same.
The body + threads are intact, it's the head's threading that snapped off.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Dude, I also bought in Sept. 08 and they did have that lifetime warranty still. They should still honor it. Call them back and get an explanation!:scowl:

Talked with 4Sevens again, it was explained to me that my Lifetime Warranty IS still valid, however Nitecore has asked that all customers deal directly with them, which is convenient, because they reside in China. I'm still hopeful that Nitecore will replace the housing.

gnu

Newly Enlightened
Any luck so far?

Funny you ask.
After going back and forth with Nitecore directly, they tell me that for 16$ payable to their paypal.cn account, that they will mail me a new housing, standard mail. As that might be a good deal to get my flashlight back into working condition, I have my own reservations. So, I'm back on the flashlight hunt, and I've never been more confused :confused:.
When I bought the D10 2 years ago, it was a no brainer.
Now, I don't see a no brainer out there ???
Any help would be appreciated.

- $50ish pricerange.
- AA for battery convenience, unless the 123 blows me away (going to invest in some eneloops for my digital camera and wouldn't mind finding a light that can share).
- I also prefer the small size 3-4", as I ETC this in my front jeans pocket, and don't want anything too ridiculous in size.
- I loved my D10, however I usually only used the min and the max settings, so I don't think that the infinite ramping is a dealbreaker.
- I liked how my D10 remembered my last known setting.
- I prefer the tailcap button over a twisty (I think) cause I use this to jog often, and think that operating it with one hand is easier done with a button appose to a twisty???
- I wouldn't mind a strobe.
- I liked on my D10 how I could get to max brightness in just a few clicks.
- I've always wanted a Fenix, so I'm looking at the LD10. Trying to stay focused on the AA and ignore the temptation of the PD10/20. Also looking at the Quark mini AA and WARMs. There's also the choice of going back to the D10, but they're harder to find now that 4sevens doesn't carry them, and I still feel slighted by Nitecore.

All suggestions appreciated.

fannin

Enlightened
Long time reader, first time poster.
I've owned my D10 for a year and a half now, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately last night it took a turn for the worse when it broke in half. I have been a huge supporter of both Nitecore and 4sevens, giving many D10s away for gifts. I picked Nitecore over Fenix (LD10) at the time because I liked the UI better, however I did like Fenix's warranty and track record better. Now I'm paying for it. Neither Nitcore nor 4sevens will replace/repair.

a) Any way to fix D10 (any place selling just the housing for cheap)?

b) Need something comparable, same price range, AA, size etc, better warranty...maybe LD10..best place to buy???

all help appreciated
thanks
gnu
broke in half? no way how did it happen?

if the ld10 had a low like the d10 i would never use my d10, i don't like the ramping it is a gimmick and a pain to use

fannin

Enlightened
Funny you ask.
After going back and forth with Nitecore directly, they tell me that for 16$ payable to their paypal.cn account, that they will mail me a new housing, standard mail. As that might be a good deal to get my flashlight back into working condition, I have my own reservations. So, I'm back on the flashlight hunt, and I've never been more confused :confused:.
When I bought the D10 2 years ago, it was a no brainer.
Now, I don't see a no brainer out there ???
Any help would be appreciated.

- $50ish pricerange.
- AA for battery convenience, unless the 123 blows me away (going to invest in some eneloops for my digital camera and wouldn't mind finding a light that can share).
- I also prefer the small size 3-4", as I ETC this in my front jeans pocket, and don't want anything too ridiculous in size.
- I loved my D10, however I usually only used the min and the max settings, so I don't think that the infinite ramping is a dealbreaker.
- I liked how my D10 remembered my last known setting.
- I prefer the tailcap button over a twisty (I think) cause I use this to jog often, and think that operating it with one hand is easier done with a button appose to a twisty???
- I wouldn't mind a strobe.
- I liked on my D10 how I could get to max brightness in just a few clicks.
- I've always wanted a Fenix, so I'm looking at the LD10. Trying to stay focused on the AA and ignore the temptation of the PD10/20. Also looking at the Quark mini AA and WARMs. There's also the choice of going back to the D10, but they're harder to find now that 4sevens doesn't carry them, and I still feel slighted by Nitecore.

All suggestions appreciated.
if you can handle not having a low like the d10 go for the ld10 man

max/min output are available by tightening/untightening the head: simple and quick
it has strobe
it has excellent clicky (albeit reverse clicky so no momentary on)

Last edited: