Gerber Firecracker: Discontinued?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at REI recently and noticed that they're not stocking the firecracker anymore. They have a new Gerber 1AA flashlight that uses a reflector and not an optic lens.

If so, I will have to buy some of these before they disappear. It's a great light.

ky70

Banned
Check Your local Spots Authority...I was just there today and saw several of these lights.

smfranke

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like you saw the "Hail"

Gerber's website is pretty uninformative.

I had to go here to see what battery types each light uses: http://www.gerbergear.com/images/pdf/lighting.pdf

It says that the Onyx 50 uses 1xAA. Looking at the picture though I have to say WTH?

But yes, the Firecracker is still listed.

SMKW had the Firecrackers for $6.99 each not too long ago. Currently their site says they're "Temporarily Out of Stock"
http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...xt=&list=50&range=1&order=PriceAsc&SKU=G80127

I would give them a call to verify that before purchasing elsewhere...

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at REI recently and noticed that they're not stocking the firecracker anymore. They have a new Gerber 1AA flashlight that uses a reflector and not an optic lens.

If so, I will have to buy some of these before they disappear. It's a great light.

If it is of any use to you I checked out one of my favourite UK suppliers and they have it in stock and will ship overseas but alas probably not a price you would like to pay but if needs must.

www.heinnie.com

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

So tell me what is so special about this light then please?I managed to snag one from the US on offer and postage to the UK for less than £10.It arrived to day and yes it is well made but that is just about it,runs for 7 hours not that bright but enough for most tasks but nice enough for the collection but my little Nextorch K1 is a far better and brighter light at 18 lumens and this one is suppose to be 18 lumens as well but much bigger.

Last edited:

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
So tell me what is so special about this light then please?I managed to snag one from the US on offer and postage to the UK for less than £10.It arrived to day and yes it is well made but that is just about it,runs for 7 hours not that bright but enough for most tasks but nice enough for the collection but my little Nextorch K1 is a far better and brighter light at 18 lumens and this one is suppose to be 18 lumens as well but much bigger.

It has an Optic

It throws it's narrow beam a fairly decent distance for it's power. It works really well for duties where you have to discern detail at a distance of say 10-50 feet without lighting-up everything in between.

I have one. I really like it for a cheap-o light. I used to use it for checking the front and back door locks from the stair landing amongst other tasks indoors and out. Checking under the couch/bed/ etc. Now I keep it as a backup light when I travel or for storms and power outages. The runtime is pretty good. No regulation, but it doesn't really need it. Useful light for several hours.

A modern LED behind the Firecracker's optic would really be nice. The OP did try it a few years back, but it was more complicated than thought, so I don't think it progressed beyond putting GID paint inside the optic housing.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
It has an Optic

It throws it's narrow beam a fairly decent distance for it's power. It works really well for duties where you have to discern detail at a distance of say 10-50 feet without lighting-up everything in between.

I have one. I really like it for a cheap-o light. I used to use it for checking the front and back door locks from the stair landing amongst other tasks indoors and out. Checking under the couch/bed/ etc. Now I keep it as a backup light when I travel or for storms and power outages. The runtime is pretty good. No regulation, but it doesn't really need it. Useful light for several hours.

A modern LED behind the Firecracker's optic would really be nice. The OP did try it a few years back, but it was more complicated than thought, so I don't think it progressed beyond putting GID paint inside the optic housing. It is no barn burner, but it is very useful considering it can be used w/o blinding everyone or giving away your position.