CMG Ultra-G (#2)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my second Ultra-G from County Comm yesterday.
Latest model with NSN # engraved (pictured on right) -
UltraG2x_S.jpg
UltraG2x_clS.jpg

My first Ultra-G was a also a "late" model, purchased Dec/2002

There is very little difference between the beams - with the latest (# 2) perhaps being just a bit brighter especially in the central spot, with also a bit more blue there too. It is well centered (as was my first) there might just be a tiny bit decentering seen when rolled (hard to be sure) but not seen in use -
UltraG2xBeam.jpg

flashlights about 9" away from standard white letter sized paper.

From this sample of only 2 there seems to be pretty good QC and consistency for the Ultra-G -
of course I could just be lucky too.

[edit: Fri Apr/30/2004 - changed photo hosting]

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, and nice photos.

I was going to get an Ultra-G, until I got a one cell Mini-Mag. But now, that niche is filled by a great light.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
one cell Mini-Mag.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a one cell Mini-Mag?

Did you mean the MagLite Solitaire?
3808_l.JPG

the one that uses a single AAA cell and a "regular" incandecent bulb?

Or is it something else?

Thanks

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
Vincent, it is more than likely one of the Mini-mini-mags made by Rothrandir. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Many thanks B@rt and pi_is_blue for that - looks neato.

Always wanted a single AA aluminum flashlight and had thought about a Mini-Mag mod - but the threading was beyond my access - good to see that someone has done it.

For me the advantages of an LED as in the Ultra-G and the more compact head - fits my EDC needs better.

But that is a neat mod.

Thanks

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely, the M³. (MMM or Mini-Mini-Mag)
I have one with a MadMax+ w/R2H high dome & NX05 colimator.

The low forward voltage (H), of the R2H seems to compensate well for the lower voltage that the sandwich applies to the luxeon.

It is a great combination, very bright and pure white. I recommend it, but you will have to assemble it yourself, since it isn't available on the Sandwich Shoppe site as a complete unit.

emitter

Newly Enlightened
I also sprung for the Ultra-G, pretty nice though the threads are a tad rough, I'd prefer UN threads but then it'd cost more. Anyone cracked one open yet? Nukiez started a thread concerning the internals, and was gonna mod the circuit (zetex I beleve) for the LS. Wouldn't have to be driven too hard, just as long as it was as bright as an X5 or Reactor. The body needs more knurling too.
Concerning thread cutting, I cannot wait for my 2 machining classes to start. This semester I'm doing nc programming.

~ned

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: M3

Diamond....Almost any mod for the MiniMag will work on the M3. I put a MadMax+Q3 in mine. I cut the bottom off the MiniMag nylon holster and use that to carry the M3 on my belt.