LiteFlux LF2XT Hum

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
I did a little research on "inductor whine" but most of what I found was conflicting opinions and technical jargon that exceeded my rudimentary understanding of electronics. I have seen quite a few references to "flashlight hum" but had never experienced it until now.

The hum or high pitched whine is hardly noticeable at the very highest and lowest settings. However, everything in between produces a perceptible noise that is quite irritating. From what I could discern, inductor whine is not a defect per se, but is apparently a matter of degree.

Therefore my questions are as follows:

1. Is this noise inherent in the design of the relatively complex UI of this light, or is it in fact a defect or quality control issue?

2. Does the severity of the hum vary between samples of the same model (similar to the so-called tint lottery)?

3. Does anyone else have a LF2XT or other model LiteFlux that displays this same characteristic?

4. Is there anything that will reduce or eliminate the hum?

5. Will the higher voltage of li-ion batteries have any effect (presently using lithium)?

Thanks in advance.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This is completely normal. I can hear it in my LF2XT, but only if I stick it in my ear. It is inherent in most multimode lights to greater or lesser degrees. I'm not sure whether the higher voltage of lithium ion batteries would perhaps lessen the hum, but someone will surely address this matter.

Just enjoy this great light.

Geoff

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dead quiet quark mini, a friend of mine also got one, but its TERRIBLE noicy, I can easely hear it across the livingroom, so I would guess there is a "hum lottery".
Not all pepole can hear this high pitch noice (old pepole or pepole that have ruined their sence of hearing during raveparties or shooting practice ect. seems to be the lucky owners of dead quiet flashlights:tinfoil:)

My
liteflux lf2xt is dead quiet on high and lo using 1,2v ni-mh, anything in between is noicy. (not loud, i have to hold it to my ear to notice)
With a 4,2v bttery its only quiet on lo.

I once had a nitecore d10 that was noicy on 1,2v - 1,5 v , but dead quiet on 4,2v (it also ran cooler with a 4,2v) Temprature may be a fator here, i dunno.

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
Mine also hums. It is silent on low, noisy in between, and slightly hums on high (only hear it when holding it close to my ear). This appears to be normal although I wish it was silent at all brightness levels. But I just love the CUI on this light so I am overlooking all this humming. Some posts have suggested that an AA version is coming out soon so I am eagerly waiting... :)

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
I did want to add beforehand that I think it's an incredible light. And I'm definitely relieved to hear that the hum is normal. It was difficult at first to spend $65 on an AAA light, but with so many praising this little light I gave it a go. Now I want more! But they aren't the easiest to find. I got mine from EliteLED as it was the only dealer I could find that carries them and had some in stock. I preferred the natural, but they only had black in stock.

I did see where there are a couple of members on CPF that sell them, but as far as I could tell they were out of stock. Other than LiteFlux itself I can't find any other places to get these beauties. If anyone can provide information on reputable sources for buying LiteFlux, I would appreciate it. Additionally any info on everything LiteFlux would also be appreciated. Thanks!

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did see where there are a couple of members on CPF that sell them, but as far as I could tell they were out of stock. Other than LiteFlux itself I can't find any other places to get these beauties. If anyone can provide information on reputable sources for buying LiteFlux, I would appreciate it. Additionally any info on everything LiteFlux would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Let It Bleed,

Check out this thread on the marketplace. If you go to the last page the seller states that he has 5 Natural finish lights left in stock. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=195714

I too am considering picking one of these lights up. Love the natural finish. Though, I would have to get a Ti Button with the tritium insert too and that increases the cost significantly. ;)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Except for Khoo and maybe someone else, EliteLED is the only other place to find these. They are great to deal with and have extremely fast service.

Geoff

Magnumpy

Newly Enlightened
2. Does the severity of the hum vary between samples of the same model (similar to the so-called tint lottery)?

I think this is the case. mine makes a faint high pitched whine on the highest setting which diminishes as I turn down the brightness; it's completely silent on the lowest setting.