Do they rust?

kev1-1

Enlightened
I read some where that Type III HA protects SureFire lights from scratching and then rusting. I was under the impresion that Aluminium is protected by its natural coating of aluminium oxide, preventing it from rusting? I have a Type II coated Z2, if this scratches will it rust? Does any one know?
confused.gif

rycen

Enlightened
aluminium will not rust as you stated above it will oxidize or tarnish and sometimes pit.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Most metals as well as other materials will have a tendency for their surface to oxidize over time. This can be considered a form of corrosion or entropy at play.

Rust I believe is typically a term used to identify a specific form of oxitation present; namely iron oxide. I believe for a material to rust, iron need be present as well as exposed to the process of oxidation.

In many cases, once an oxide layer has formed on the surface, the oxidation or corrosion of subsequent underlayers does not continue. A stable state is reached. If the oxide layer is removed through abraision or other processes. the corrosion can continue.

Aside from oxidation, there are other forms of corrosion which can eat away the material over time. There is galvanic corrosion (electro-chemical) and crevice corrosion to name a few.

Different materials are effected differently in various environments and material choice is based on the intended environment of useage.

Energy is required to initiate the corrosion process and this energy can come from various sources; heat, electrical differentials, friction and light.

Many oxide layers are very stable and can protect the underlying material from continued degridation or corrosion. Metals like aluminum, lead, silver, copper, brass and titanium oxidize rather rapidly but will stabilize to a great extent once oxidized. Unfortunately, if the oxide layer is unwanted and removed, some form of protection or coating is required to prevent further oxidation. In some cases, the oxide layer is easily removed through abrasion or erossion from the elements. In other cases, specifically titanium, the oxide surface is very hard and impervious to abrassion and errosion to a great extent. Aluminium oxide is a hard material and used extensively as an abrasive compound. Once oxidized, aluminum can hold up well in many environments where electro-chemical conditions aren't present to attack the material by other means. Oxidized aluminum can withstand the challanges of wind, rain and sun very well. Acids and oils in your skin as well as salt water can be a different story.

There are other chemicals beside oxygen that will react with materials and cause a break down in the material structure. Chlorine is a very nasty culprit here. Many metals and materials which hold up well in normal, on land, environments are prey to serious degridation and corrosion once exposed to a salt air or water environment. Ironically, the lack of oxygen and presence of free chlorine in saltwater can and has destroyed many robust stainless steel parts and pieces of hardware, often with catastrophic results. The 300 series of stainless or 18-8 which is the most common material used in consumer goods, household kitchen ware and even medical instruments has been claimed by some in the Navy, as completely inappropriate for sea going applications.

OK, sorry. Since I have no answer to the question that is likely being asked now, I will quit this ramble. The Question: "So what???"
smile.gif

Back to topic; no, it won't rust but yes, it can corrode or degrade if subject to the right conditions.

- Don

Disclaimer: I am not a chemist or scientist, merely a lame man so my explainations are likely oversimplified if not blatantly incorrect at some level. Although I may have completely *******ized the relationship between cause and effect, I have seen with my own eyes that there is cause and effect
tongue.gif
I felt inclined to post this answer because at some level, I felt the question: "Do they rust?" was somewhat akin to the famous line used in a few movies; "Does your dog bite?" :) A simple yes/no answer might lead to the wrong impression. (he he)

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aluminum oxidation has for years concerned building code writers as it relates to useage of aluminum wiring in structures as opposed to copper. The concern is that the increased resistance at the oxidized junctions of aluminum to other metals will generate heat which may generate fire.

Maybe some of our fire fighters could comment.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Lemlux,
I had a college summer job working for an electrician in a high school district in So. Cal. back in the early '70's. We spent a month pulling out Al primary feeds to various main panels. As I recall, not only was the Al oxide a problem in terms of causing resistance but the coefficient of thermal expansion in the Al caused the mechanical electrical connections to get loose over time. This also was cause for high resistance and poor contact; many failures in wireing back then. I recall we also had some anti corrosion goop that we would treat the the bare Al with. I know that companies like Amp make (or made)special Al connectors for Al wire. I believe dissimilar metals is a real problem over time in electrical circuits using Al. It is certainly a challenge for flashlights and some solutions are moreeffective than others as we have seen here in CPF.

- Don

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
The torch will not rust, for the reasons as discusseed so eloquently in previous posts.
Aliminium does indeed have a fine coating of oxide which prevents it being further eroded. On the exterior of a torch this should not be a problem, but if the oxidation has formed on the threaded circuit-current-carrying parts of the torch, or internal surfaces such as battery springs and contact points, this will affect the torch's operation as it will introduce resistance. Not only will it make the torch intermittent and unreliable, but in high-current drain torches it will cause heat to be generated.
To increase thee life of your torch, in particular if it is used in harsh environments spray a small amount of WD40 or similar electrical lubricant on the interior surfaces of the torch, and also on the tail cap threads, if the torch has a tailcap. The WD40 will also lengthen the life of switch contacts, and prevent oxide buildup on these too.
Once the winter weather sets in, I will lube not only my motorbike's electricals, but the EDC torch I carry as well.