Flashlight for rough outdoor usage

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looking for a flashlight for rough outdoor usage. First I thought of the Surefire G2L with a neutral-tint drop-in but I want to use 2x AAs. The second flashlight that came into my mind was the Fenix TK20 with the neutral-tint emitter. So what other flashlights are there which will handle rough outdoor usage?

Should be/have:
  • 2AA format
  • neutral-tint but it's not a must
  • a good grip
  • easy UI
rayman

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 The TK20 is incredibly tough, with a nice warm tint and an incredible throw for a 2xAA light. I've had it for 2 years and many other lights have come and gone since then but the TK20 is still one of my very best. :thumbsup:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Whilst I've not used the TK20, I have taken a TK11 caving with me and it stood up very well. Between being in a holster on my belt and hanging on a wrist lanyard around my wrist, whilst climbing and crawling through the caves, with waterlogged sections and tight squeezes, the light was covered in mud and had been banged against countless rocks and it still worked fine during and since the trip.

When I got it home I washed it off in a sink and you'd never know that it'd been over 130 meters underground.

I think the TK series are pretty solid if the TK11 is a typical example of them.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Id just go with the Tk20. Its track record as a beater is too good to ignore, and it matches EXACTLY your list of preferences.

357mag1

Enlightened
I can't think of any 2AA light I would trust more than my TK20. You could use it as a minature club and I'm sure it would still work as a light. Now if they would bring out an XR-E R2 version and a nice white (no green) XP-G I would buy several more today.

BeeMan458

Banned
I'm curious, what do you call "rough outdoor usage?"

:confused:

Are you talking about strapping it to your side and dragging it through thick mud while caving or simply hiking the Sierras with it neatly tucked away in your backpack?

:confused:

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the answer.

I'm studying civil engneering and have a job at an engineer office. I often have to go to construction sites. That's the main thing and I always wanted to have tough flashlight which I can use without getting a heart attack when it gets a little beaten up ;).

I have to admit that Q2 is not the latest technology but the curcuit looks pretty efficient form the graphs.

rayman

Last edited:

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
I now have 3 tk20's and they would be my end of the world lights, but see little everyday usage. For work I got a ITP C8R. It is very useful and I wouldn't mind it getting beat up or lost. My TK20s are for camping and outdoor use. They are on my nightstand. But cheap Chinese lights are for work and destroying slowly. Get an ITP or Romisen or one of the other good quality lights to destroy at work.

dirtech

Enlightened
I recently purchased a javelin for rough use because I needed AA format since those batts are readily available for my job. If this light survives one fire season, then I'll be happy.

BeeMan458

Banned
That's the main thing and I always wanted to have tough flashlight which I can use without getting a heart attack when it gets a little beaten up ;).

FWIW, I'm a General Contractor who also does Structural Pest Control; attics and crawl spaces.

Don't worry, pretty much any light will do you fine. Things break and which ones that do break, is unpredictable. For my everyday pocket carry, I have a JetBeam RRT-0. For the briefcase, I carry two lights, a modified Surefire 6P with a ThruLite P60 XP-G R5 drop-in and a box-stock JetBeam Jet-III M. And I feel totally comfortable pulling each one of them out on a job to fill in those unexpected shadows. This, whether walking rebar in the lower foundation of the pit area or crawling an attic/foundation crawl space in a high-end home.

I keep in the truck boxes, extra batteries and a replacement bulb should dropping the Surefire P6 cause the bulb to blow or if using the light as intended, causes the protected light's batteries to shut off due to low voltage.

The point, daily use on construction sites, ain't as hard on lights as you think they are. This coming from somebody who has thirty plus years in the business and has never had to replace a flashlight since going to high-end lights.

Warning, finding a site like this makes you want to buy more-and-more, better lights.

:whistle:

Hope the above helps.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right, I even would take my 2D P7 Maglite but it's just a little bit too big. Even if it would be great for this job as I could easy exchange something when it breaks. I also have 6 Eneloops left I don't use so I thought the 2AA format would be perfect. So I think it'll be the TK20.

Thanks again for the advices,
rayman

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always a pleasure to help fellow CPF-ers out (a sentiment i am sure is echoed by most if not all other members), would love to hear how it works for you on the job as my job doesn't require me to use a flashlight, i use them for my hobbies and cos i like 'em.

Some beamshots if you could manage those would be great too :popcorn:

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
Surefire G2 with Drop-in of choice seems like a good idea, but since you want 2AA platform, why not get a G3 with a low voltage drop-in and run 2AA's? Just need to make up the small difference in battery diameter. When I know that my light is going to see rough use, the Lexan lens of the G2 gives me confidence that it wont break, unlike a glass one.

Although, the TK20 is rather durable, and pretty dang bright for a 2AA light with a CREE Q2.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I won't use it very much in this job but as a flashaholic I want to be prepared ;).

Thought of the G2/3 too but I like the TK20 more so I think it's going to be this one.

rayman

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a TK20 just yesterday to beat the crap out of to see how tough it really is.

I dropped it a half dozen times on concrete from 3-7 feet. Went for a walk and chucked the thing as far a I could, onto gravel. Threw it down onto gravel, chucked it against a tree, jumped on it and the thing never gave in. It only stopped once because the tail cap came loose. Tightened it up and away it went.

I'm going to buy another so I can have one without scratches and dents all over it. This ones going in the tool box.

The tint is awesome! Think incan glow. It's not that bright, but I can see things in more detail than lights with more output that have a cool white tint.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I got a TK20 just yesterday to beat the crap out of to see how tough it really is.

I dropped it a half dozen times on concrete from 3-7 feet. Went for a walk and chucked the thing as far a I could, onto gravel. Threw it down onto gravel, chucked it against a tree, jumped on it and the thing never gave in. It only stopped once because the tail cap came loose. Tightened it up and away it went.

I'm going to buy another so I can have one without scratches and dents all over it. This ones going in the tool box.

The tint is awesome! Think incan glow. It's not that bright, but I can see things in more detail than lights with more output that have a cool white tint.

Man, I'm getting the itch on this light...
Maybe my next purchase.:broke:
Still waiting for some lights to arrive.:grin2: