Arc-LS Regulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSamilo

Newly Enlightened
I just got my 2xAA TSP and like both the economical battery options and the ease of use (it's much easier to use the Kroll when you can hold the light with your entire hand), but I thought that with the regulation I would be able to use "dead" AAs from my GPS, digital camera, etc. but when I tried this, the output was about 1/4 that of fresh AAs. The light was not in "moon" mode, but it does operate much dimmer than with new AAs. I did this comparison by shining both the Arc and a standard incandescent Minimag against the ceiling and comparing how well each illuminates the room. With new Alkalines the Arc is about twice the brightness of the Minimag, and with old batteries it is about 1/2 the brightness of the Mag. The Arc does utilize "dead" batteries much better than an unregulated incandescent, but I thought the output was supposed to be flat-line and then a sudden drop into Unregulated "moon" mode.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all depends on how old your LS is. The newer models (Arc LS2, LSH, LSL) are current regulated and the output will be "flat-line and then a sudden drop into unregulated moon mode."

The older LS (LS1) was voltage regulated and therefore its output was only semi-regulated like the Arc-AAA.

Hope this helps,
Pat

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then it sounds like your light is in moon mode when you install the old batteries.

Especially now that I re-read your first post, it definitely sounds like your light is moon mode (from twice as bright as a minimag down to half as bright as a minimag is a big drop in brightness).

Pat

JSamilo

Newly Enlightened
hmm... well, tomorrow I'll let the Arc run down a set of fresh AAs next to my computer and when it drops into moon mode I'll swap batteries and see if the brightness is similar. I thought moon mode was more like 1x Nichia, but I will find out tomorrow!!!

Floating Spots

Enlightened
On mine the moon mode starts at 50-33% of full power.
It then tapers off for a very long time.
If I miss the flickering transition (as I have), I don't always know immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.