Another M*g 3D sst-90 mod - questions

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
I am in the middle of my mod now. the light is up and running already but i am waiting for AccuEvolution C and D cells and my Maha C-9000. The next thing i need is a nice alluminium reflector and glass lens. The lens is no brainer for me but i am looking for nice smooth or very low OP reflector with narrow beam pattern. I was thinking maybe Brightlumens reflector with 16mm opening but if you guys have better suggestions let me know. Next thing i am looking for is a driver with 30 to 60 miliamp output to drive the LED in "moon" mode. I was looking at DX but could not find anything. Thanks for your help.

Edit: Ok, i thought about it a little and came up with solution for moon mode driver and please correct me if i am wrong:
I will order this driver and remove 2 of AMC chips so that will leave me with 350 mAmps and then add small resistor in line to lower the current going to LED to anywhere between 30 and 60 mAmp. What resistor should i add? Will this work?

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you using to drive the SST-90 and how are you planning to use the driver you linked to, with the main driver?

Last edited:

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
LED is direct driven. I am going to use it alone and i need it to stay on all the time with the lowest output possible for this led (i think sst-90 lowest current is 30 mAmp). The driver will be connected directly to batteries bypassing the switch, when i hit the switch it will go ti DD. Does this sound good or i should not do it?

luckybucket

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like it should work. I've had good success unscrewing the tailcap to break the circuit on two of my lights. I add some grease to the threads to make it more electrically non-conductive because I have bumped my light and it came on. It could come on by itself in the middle of the night, but I make sure it's in a good dead spot in the threads. Is this your plan?

jarekdadej

Newly Enlightened
That is my plan:) But i need to know if i can lower the current of one AMC chip form 350 mAmp to lets say 50 mAmp with resistor (i assume i can) and what value resistor do i need?
Any suggestions on good throwy reflector for sst-90 for M*g?

Al Combs

Enlightened
I don't think it will work the way you're hoping. The AMC7135 has a minimum operating voltage of 2.7 volts. Since the SST-90 needs about 2.5 volts to draw 30ma, there's not enough left for the chip to function. The good news is you don't need the AMC7135 at all. At voltages below what it takes for it to pass 350ma, it just goes into direct drive. LED Pro says you need a 36.67 ohm resistor to get 30 ma from a 2.5 volt LED running on a 3.6 volt set of 3 batteries. When fully charged at 4.2 volts it's 56 ohms. It would kill a set of 10,000 mAh D cells in less than 2 weeks. So you would have to unscrew the tailcap when not in use.

Last edited: