Is there a special "flashlight tool?"

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking inside several flashlights recently, and in a few of them, I find a metal ring that has two dimples in it. I've been unscrewing these rings with a pair of pliers, but it's pretty clumsy and I end up scratching the metal. One of these days, I'll probably slip and ruin some threading, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a special tool made to open these.

So, has anyone seen anything like that? If so, what's it called? Or where can I buy one?

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tool you are looking for are snap ring pliers, available your local automotive parts store. Some of the switches can be removed with a large pair of tweezers but the pliers are a safe bet.

carrot

Flashaholic
For 4sevens Quarks, a special tool comes with the optional boot kit.

But besides that, snap ring pliers as jp2515 says, is what you need.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Do a search on 'camera spanner wrench' or 'lens wrench', and you will see a variety of them available. These are called 'soanner wrench, here in the US -- not the same thing as often reffered to by that term in England, which is called an 'open end' wrench here -- but these words are used for a variety of differen tools.

What you want is probably something like https://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=T-132-34567 and there are similar items both more and less expensive.