• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB +1500 lumen torch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkusp9

Newly Enlightened
Well, i have purchased and lost an ultrafire 1000-wf, and currently own a Blackbear Borealis as well as a solarforce masterpiece and a streamlight stinger, none of which seem to be bright enough for patrol.

Im looking for a good light thats quick to turn on and off (LED) and is an honest +1500 lumens OTF. Would be nice if it had at least high and low modes that are easily adjustable, but i will settle with a single mode direct drive light.

I was thinking of some kind of frankenstein Mag Mod rig but im open to anything that i can carry with one hand on a foot chase.

I would like to add one or more of my current lights in for a trade but will be willing to pay cash up front and sell these existing lights later.

Any suggestions or offers will be appreciated. Would like to keep this below $250.

Also, i can break an anvil so i would like this thing to be durable.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Talk to Donn?Im sure he has what your looking for, but a little more detail are you looking for a thrower or superflood...what kind of battery config are you looking for...what kind of burn times are you expecting...

hkusp9

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see 20-30 mins minimum on high, a little longer on low. Im running 18650's in the solarforce masterpiece now and and what appears to be nine rechargable AA's in a custom casette in the Blackbear Borealis (biggest POS ever, if you drop it the whole switch assembly gets pushed forward out of position and messes up beam position, light cant be turned on and off momentarilary, has to be on for 3 sec. minimum at a time or it will burn up bulbs, and its long, although im willing to live with a 4D light, just have to find a better way to carry it).

anyhow, im open to any battery configuration as long as its not too expensive of an initial investment.

Also, i would like a nice mix between usable flood and a good throw. I cant see far enough right now with the solarforce masterpiece but im satisfied with its spill.

Does that help narrow it down any?

ptolemy

Enlightened
i think you have 2 options:

1. driving sst-90 at 5+ atms or using like 3-4 led's (mc-e's or p7's for example)

few issues: thereare handful of lights that drive sst-50 at those amps and ones they are might eb tad too heavy for foot chase.

tripples are easier to find but they are generally custom made, so $250 might be low end of that boundary.

you might be able to get a custom build though: get this for example (i also know he is making elephant which takes 4x 18650's)

get aw imr cells, and have nailbender or something use direct drive on them. that should drive it hard

it's much easier to achieve with incan bulbs, but then u dont want bulbs, which i understand:)

biggest issue for you is to actually get your lumens as most 1500 rated lights are probably 1000 at most honest lumens

hkusp9

Newly Enlightened
i think you have 2 options:

1. driving sst-90 at 5+ atms or using like 3-4 led's (mc-e's or p7's for example)

few issues: thereare handful of lights that drive sst-50 at those amps and ones they are might eb tad too heavy for foot chase.

tripples are easier to find but they are generally custom made, so $250 might be low end of that boundary.

you might be able to get a custom build though: get this for example (i also know he is making elephant which takes 4x 18650's)

get aw imr cells, and have nailbender or something use direct drive on them. that should drive it hard

it's much easier to achieve with incan bulbs, but then u dont want bulbs, which i understand:)

biggest issue for you is to actually get your lumens as most 1500 rated lights are probably 1000 at most honest lumens

Im willing to go as big as a 4 D maglite, since the Blackbear Borealis was that big. I will just have to find a better way to carry it on my belt.

Also, like i said, if cost is an issue i have a $300 Blackbear Borealis and a $100 Solarfire Masterpiece and a $100 Steamlight Stinger to add to the trade somewhere.

I thought there were guys building 1700 lumen 4D mags all over the place from readily available parts? Am i wrong on that? I just dont have the technical knowledge and expertise to solder and test all this stuff myself.

jackolantern

Newly Enlightened
I believe Borealis is 3D in size (a Mag85).

If you are really ok with 4D in size, you can make what I have for less than your budget:

1. quad bore 4D mag - about 90 dollars
2. borofloat lense - about 7 dollars
3. Fivemega bipin adapter - about 17 dollars
4. Fivemega reflector (with cam) - about 25 dollars
5. Fivemega 4D to 16AA serial adapter - about 42 dollars
6. 2 dollar Hikari bulb JC5033 - about 2 dollars (see Lux's page on destructive bulb tests. battery set up is for 19.2v and about 3000 lumens but with resistance losses, not sure where it ends up. visually, it is significantly brighter than mag85.)
7. 16 eneloops - duraloops were on sale at costco that would have cost 16 dollars total.

prices are as I recall. runtime is about 20-25 minutes with eneloops. quick focusing mechanism works in this set up! damage can occur with plastic tower due to heat but appears superficial as mechanism still focuses.

hoping fivemega comes up with solution for heat issues while maintaining focusability.

ptolemy

Enlightened
I believe Borealis is 3D in size (a Mag85).

If you are really ok with 4D in size, you can make what I have for less than your budget:

1. quad bore 4D mag - about 90 dollars
2. borofloat lense - about 7 dollars
3. Fivemega bipin adapter - about 17 dollars
4. Fivemega reflector (with cam) - about 25 dollars
5. Fivemega 4D to 16AA serial adapter - about 42 dollars
6. 2 dollar Hikari bulb JC5033 - about 2 dollars (see Lux's page on destructive bulb tests. battery set up is for 19.2v and about 3000 lumens but with resistance losses, not sure where it ends up. visually, it is significantly brighter than mag85.)
7. 16 eneloops - duraloops were on sale at costco that would have cost 16 dollars total.

prices are as I recall. runtime is about 20-25 minutes with eneloops. quick focusing mechanism works in this set up! damage can occur with plastic tower due to heat but appears superficial as mechanism still focuses.

hoping fivemega comes up with solution for heat issues while maintaining focusability.
he wanted an LED, but ya, incan is simpler

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
jackolantern, I don't think he wants or can make one himself..."I just dont have the technical knowledge and expertise to solder and test all this stuff myself."

jaundice

Enlightened
I think Justin Case is getting ready to sell a regulated Mag623 in a 4D mag host. It's run off of 5xIMR 26500s. I have one that he built, and it puts out a cool 6800 lumens for the full runtime, since it's regulated at 15.5v and putting out 160 watts. It's unbelievable, once you turn it on in your hand. I don't have any beamshots, since I just got it. It's basically the mother of all mag build incans.

A key advantage of this setup is that you can swap out the bulb for a 64440, which will give you a full 2700 lumens. This is much more manageable, since the light and heat of a 64623 lamp really makes it just for show. There are couple of other bulbs you can put in it for even less power, if you need more runtime. I'm going to try a Hikari JC-5033 bulb, just $2.25 each from Amazon, for a 1600 lumen, long runtime version.

This is an extremely versatile light. The regulation means that the light is constant throughout the run, with no dimming whatsoever. It has a low voltage warning, so you know when your light needs a battery change.

The 4D maglite is actually very light with 5 IMR cells in it, it feels as handy as a 3D maglite with alkaline cells in it.

-John

Last edited:

donn_

Flashaholic
I think Justin Case is getting ready to sell a regulated Mag623 in a 4D mag host. It's run off of 5xIMR 26500s. I have one that he built, and it puts out a cool 6800 lumens for the full runtime, since it's regulated at 15.5v.

-John

How do you get 6800 lumens out of a 623 running on a max 15.5V?

jaundice

Enlightened
Hkusp9;

I know you said you want an LED light, but in my opinion, LED technology really isn't there yet for a reasonable flashlight at 1500 lumens. Just last night I was handling a prototype Microfire 1200 lumen Osram LED light. Although bright, it was huge, and it had it's own built-in fan that spins up every time the light in activated. It was probably 3 inches thick and weighed probably 3 or more pounds. Plus, I was told that the list price was to be around $500.

I forgot to add earlier that Justin Case's mag623 can be programmed with different levels and modes.

-John

donn_

Flashaholic
Donn;

I based my statement off of LuxLuthor's 64623 chart here: http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/bulbs/64623.jpg Cell F9 shows the predicted lumens for this bulb at that voltage.

This really is a beautiful build. When you light it up, it's like having a theater spotlight in you hand, all in a 4D mag host.

-John

Go right a few cells, and look at the lumens from measured lux.

I run my regulated 623 at 15V, for just over 5000 lumens, and almost twice the lamp life.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go right a few cells, and look at the lumens from measured lux.

I run my regulated 623 at 15V, for just over 5000 lumens, and almost twice the lamp life.

I wouldn't get too enamored by that lamp life figure since it is also an extrapolated calculation. Also, since the 4000 hr lamp life figure for 12V is incorrect for the Osram 64623, it calls into question the rest of the lamp life numbers.

The bottom line is that the 64623 lamp pours out the lumens.

As Jaundice wrote, the JimmyM regulator setup is very flexible. As-is at Vbulb=15.5V, you can also drive an Osram 64440 quite nicely (though perhaps a bit short of its sweet spot of 18V-19V) with half of the current draw of the 64623. I can easily reset the Vbulb to something higher like 18V.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i have purchased and lost an ultrafire 1000-wf, and currently own a Blackbear Borealis as well as a solarforce masterpiece and a streamlight stinger, none of which seem to be bright enough for patrol.

Im looking for a good light thats quick to turn on and off (LED) and is an honest +1500 lumens OTF. Would be nice if it had at least high and low modes that are easily adjustable, but i will settle with a single mode direct drive light.

I was thinking of some kind of frankenstein Mag Mod rig but im open to anything that i can carry with one hand on a foot chase.

I would like to add one or more of my current lights in for a trade but will be willing to pay cash up front and sell these existing lights later.

Any suggestions or offers will be appreciated. Would like to keep this below $250.

Also, i can break an anvil so i would like this thing to be durable.

As jaundice wrote, I have a single mode, Mag623 build that I am considering selling. PM me if interested. This is an incan, not an LED, so it may not meet your stated requirements. Note, however, that this is a regulated incandescent flashlight. It will feed constant voltage to a bulb for as long as your batteries hold out. Thus, light output will be constant, just like for a light bulb in your house that gets a constant 120V.

I can re-configure the Mag mod for a Hikari JC5607 lamp. This lamp runs at 1500 OTF lumens. It is also an inexpensive lamp, readily available on the Internet.

The Mag623 build uses a Kiu socket, JimmyM regulator, aluminum orange peel reflector, and glass window. The tail spring is cut down to easily fit 5xIMR26500 cells in the 4D host body. I also pack in alumina fiber insulation around the Kiu socket to protect everything from excess heat from the lamp. It's probably as rugged as the original, stock Mag.

Status
Not open for further replies.