What are black hole led's good for?

revbnc

Newly Enlightened
What are black hole led\'s good for?

I was just about to place an order when I saw "Black Hole" Leds listed. It stated that they are also called inverted cone and that it emits light in a 360 degree angle.

Question? Would that be better to use this type of led with a good relfector,to catch the light, than a normal led which pushed most of its light out and away from the reflector.

If that question makes sense your input would be appreciated.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: What are black hole led\'s good for?

what type of leds were these?>

side emitter luxeons have an inverted cone to direct light in a sidewise pattern (as the name implies).
i have personally found that hd luxeons work much better with reflectors than se's do, and many others are of the same opinion.

i know people have modded their 5mm leds to emit in a more or less sideways fashion, but i'm not sure where you can aquire commercial leds of that nature.

B@rt

Flashaholic

smallblackhole.jpg

Quickar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

They are supposed to work well with reflectors, allowing the light to be focused into a tighter beam than is possible with standard LEDs that use the epoxy capsule to focus the light.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I think Technology Associates uses this type of LED to work with the Mini Mag's reflector in their MagmaLED retrofits. This makes the beam focusable in adjustable flashlights; something you can't do with ordinary 3mm, 5mm, 8mm, or 10mm LEDs.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

thanks bert, i figured you'd come around and find something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found that these things were excellent for backlighting in my car instrument panel. Normal LEDs just didn't have a wide enough angle to light the panel itself, worked fine in the switchgear, but no good for the panel itself, the two I have (actually ready to run on 12V these, got a resistor built in), are almost enough in themselves. Now all I have to do is remember where on earth I found them and go back to buy another three for the other half so that I can actually put the interior back together!

(I'll post a pic of these dropins here once I get my server up again.)

revbnc

Newly Enlightened

B@rt that is exactly were I found them.

Maybe I shall buy one or two and see what I can do with them.

Thanks to all for answering my question.