SL4vsSL6vsSurge

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
General opinions? Comments?

Would like to add a good all weather light to my arsenal thats bright, eats normal batteries, easy to carry around, waterproof, and not too expensive. These are each around 30 bucks. BrightGuy has them at SL6: 8.5w, 201 lumens, SL4: 5.6w 112 lumens, and Surge: 7.5w, 115 lumens.

Comments on durability and bulb life would especially be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surge. SL4 if you need long throw & reasonable size. SL6 would be the brightest, longest throw, but pretty heavy. I would say, IMHO, the Surge is probably the best all around light on the market today. TX

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone ever tried to adapt a DB 6AA to fit a SL6 Replacement LA? It looks like an interesting fit for a light package...

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Nerd:
And where did you get the info on the lumens rating?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">BrightGuy has them at SL6: 8.5w, 201 lumens, SL4: 5.6w 112 lumens, and Surge: 7.5w, 115 lumens.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.... was wondering why is the surge so surprisingly inefficient.

*edit* but is the surge really 7.5 watts? It's kinda over inflated.. i remember seeing it at quickbeams site that it's around 5.5 watts or so.

BTW can you point out to me exactly where on brightguy's site are the lumens rating? I can't seem to find em... Thanks

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
I looked at all three several months ago at a gun show. I was looking for long throw in relation to form factor. After comparing them in a lighted exhibition hall(maybe 200 ft.)I chose the SL4 and was very happy with it. The girlfriend liked it even more (read: it is now her light). All three are good value for the money.
Regards,
Greg

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 115 lumens for the Surge may be a little over rated. Comparing it to my 8AX (when the batteries would work) which is also I believe rated at 115 lumens or in that vicinity, the 8AX definitely put out more total light.

Monsters_Inc

Banned
Consider runnign costs:
Surge - 8xAA batteries, claimed 3hrs
SL4 - 4xC batts, 4-5hrs
SL6 - 6xC batts, 4-5hrs

For the cost of batteries per hour light, I'd still say Surge is out in front.

The SL6 I've seen is extremely bright, but somewhat heavy for carrying around.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you factor rechargables into the equation, Sanyo 1850 AA for the Surge x 8 = at least 4 hours of good light. Prolly after that would would get 2 hours of rapidly dimishing light.