A2 led aviator with low battery no white light?

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
A new A2 led aviator light that i ordered came in yesterday and i was playing with it last night. I was very impressed with its wide smooth beam and the red low led is very nice as well (I have a kroma and love it, which is a big reason i got the A2 aviator). When i pulled out some batteries that still had plenty of power in my E2Dled and put them in the A2 aviator the white beam did not work, only the red secondary. Is this a design feature to not allow the primary light to work if the batts are low on power? I put back the fresh battery and it worked fine, and tried again with the same result on the weaker battery.Have any others encountered this? thanks

Brian321

Enlightened
That is normal for an A2. The light is regulated so once the batteries go low it will just turn off, But the LED's will continue to run for quite some time. That is how my Incan is, I would assume it would be the same with an A2L.

Brian

Last edited:

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
You are right, i just tried the same set of batteries in my kroma and the high power white didnt work either. Its interesting because those batteries still have tons of power in my E2DL and my LX2. Thanks for the help.
Chris.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not the expert here so don't quote me for what I have to say but here's what I think. The E2DL uses only one main LED to get both high and low mode whereas the A2L needs power to power up the four LEDs as well as the main LED. I guess the draw is too great for those weak batteries to power up all the LEDs as well as the main LED even though there is still sufficient juice to power your E2DL.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not the expert here so don't quote me for what I have to say but here's what I think. The E2DL uses only one main LED to get both high and low mode whereas the A2L needs power to power up the four LEDs as well as the main LED. I guess the draw is too great for those weak batteries to power up all the LEDs as well as the main LED even though there is still sufficient juice to power your E2DL.

Not familiar with the A2L operation but the original A2 worked that way, 3 x LEDs PLUS the primary lamp not an and/or arrangement (like the Alaskan Guide/SL Twin task)...

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not familiar with the A2L operation but the original A2 worked that way, 3 x LEDs PLUS the primary lamp not an and/or arrangement (like the Alaskan Guide/SL Twin task)...

Yes I do know about the A2. I have a black HA version too but I figured it takes a lot more power to power the incand in the A2 than the main LED in the A2L. Not sure why the main LED of the A2L doesn't step down to low power when the batteries are weak but I guess Surefire did that to help conserve battery power to allow the user ample time to find fresh batteries?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I do know about the A2. I have a black HA version too but I figured it takes a lot more power to power the incand in the A2 than the main LED in the A2L.

I was thinking the same...it would be very logical. The incan has very different draw and a very different regulation circuit, I would think?

carrot

Flashaholic
The original A2 was designed so that the main lamp would be disabled when the batteries had a certain amount of power left. That ensures that you are not left completely in the dark by running the batteries down completely. I assume the A2L is designed the same way, as it is designed to meet similar goals.