Building a dive light with 5*CREE R2 LED's, need help with switch

rgracey

Newly Enlightened
I am totally new to the DIY flashlight world, but have found it interesting. I am a scuba diver and wanted an inexpensive canister light. I purchased 5*Cree R2 LED drop in unit www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.35242) and I am putting it in a modified mag lite. I have also purchased a Piezo switch to use as it was the most indestructible switch that can be used underwater; however, I just found out that it is only a momentary switch. I need help to figure out how to wire the Piezo in order to make the 5 modes of the light work. The light has a built in driver ( I have no clue how to wire this stuff so I thought it would be easier), so do I need to use something in-between the switch and the battery/lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as the light is done, but just cant get it to shine...

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
I only know the 3*Cree version, but I guess the drivers work the same way. They switch the mode each time you interrupt the current going to the driver. So you would actually need some circuit which makes your momentary piezo switch a normal on-off switch (something that changes each time you give an impulse by the piezo switch).