need this forums advice

goldenboy

Newly Enlightened
Searching the net for info on a good, solid, easy to operate ( simple UI ) and found CPF. Wow, is this the place to get the answers I'm looking for.
I work maintenance. Most equipment I work on is in dimly lit places. Have used a collection of lights over the years. Real cheap in quality and light output. I see that LED's have come a long way in battery life and lumens.
Would like to keep the cost below $80.00
Is there anything out there that meets the following??:

Palm sized @5-6" @1" in diam
Comes with or can fit a "generic" holster for EDC
AAA, AA, or CR123 OK Whatever would work the best. Most flexible here
NEED minimum 150 lumens on high. I'm very blind in the dark. The more light on high the better. 200 lumens preferably
two stage. But to get those lumens on high might have to get 3 stage??
No need for SOS and strobe. But if I can eliminate them through UI thats OK
Would like light to come on in highest mode first. Need that level most of the time. But can "click" to a lower setting

Any and all ideas would be helpfull. Is it possible to purchase a light like this at a local outdoor store?? Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse??? Or would I have to go online???

HELP the old blind Guy.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2 on the quark AA-2, tactical version seems like a perfect fit for what you're asking.
uses 2xAA (alkalines not recommended), the R5 models are great for close to mid range use. its about $60

if your willing to use cr123a or li-ions the quark 123-2 tactical is better for $5 more. its shorter at 4.5 inches, has about 20 lumens more output, i use a quark 123-2 tactical with 1x 17670 li-ion for my inspections, and it does the job great.

both quarks come with a very good holster. the velcro on mine is still strong after about 5 months of use, 5 nights a week.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the quark tactical, and I think it might be perfect for you.

The high is pretty amazing for such a small light (I use the 1X123, but the 2X123 is probably better for you). With the head tightened, you always get highest power first. Then you loosen it to get moonlight, low, medium and "high" (though not the burst you get when tightened).

The only issues is you can't click to lower modes from burst, I don't think, you can only get to them by turning the head, which is not a one-handed operation. When I carry the quark, I leave it on high, and when I go to bed, I leave it close to me (with a tritium marker) turned to moonlight for nightime trips to the bathroom, to check on my daughter, etc. There are other, brighter lights near it for things that go bump.

If you are willing to bump your price up....Malkoff MD2 with the M61 (or an M60). If you can find one, also get the two stage ring. Also always comes on high (HIGH!) and twists to a lower (more like medium for most lights). Super simple interface, and built like a tank.

goldenboy

Newly Enlightened
I'll be looking into these suggestions. Definitely need to upgrade the quality and amount of light output I currently use. :thanks:

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
I am in a very similar situation to you. I started with a TK20 which is great but a little large. It also bugged me to use a $50 light where it might get lost or damaged. So I got a a ITP C8R, a very good light at a modest cost. I EDC a quark mini Ti in either AA or 123 depending on mood. Then the company bought me a TK20 and all trepidation over carrying this light left. My final recommendation is if you are paying for this yourself (which you are) is to go with a fair quality Chinese light you wouldn't mind if lost. Perhaps a Romisen RC-N3 AA and 123, or one of the new ITPs. Then with the money you save get a decent quality headlamp. In any situation that requires two hands the headlamp is great. I use a streamlight at work. It is just decent. This is my solution for lighting at work. You should be able to do my suggestion at your price point. HTH

UpChUcK

Enlightened
IMHO, nothing beats a good headlamp for working on something where you need both you hands. I use my Petzl MyoXP all the time for this. So I'd suggest a good headlamp like a Zebralight H501 which offers a nice flood for working within arms reach. Then get cheaper 2xAA for other general lighting tasks like the decent new MagLite MiniMagLED Multi-mode with the Rebel LED in it. This should be right around $80 for both.

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF. :wave:

I agree on the Quarks. Both the 2xAA and the 1x123 put out over 200 lumens on their highest settings, with the 2xAA having a longer run time and easier to find battery.

I use a 1xAA Titanium Quark as my work light (I'm a building mechanic). It puts out plenty of light and has never let me down.

Of course, you may find the lights you read about here on CPF to be like potato chips.... You can't have just one :D.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
Consider a headlamp AND a handheld.

You may not really need the 150 lumens. That tends to be more light than you think it is. Be sure and buy a light that has multiple light levels.

There are some Coleman LED flashlights and headlamps at Walmart if you want to be able to see them locally. Some Lowe's stores have Surefire lights. Some of the chain sports stores will list some good lights on their web sites, but they may not have them at your local store.

Manufacturers have started to label flashlights with lumens ratings. The ratings are often a bit of a lie. They tell you lumens coming out of the LED, not what makes it out of the lens, but it's still useful information.

Figure out if you can live with changing batteries during a shift. Some of the smaller lights have the light, but don't have the endurance. Is it easier to carry a bigger light, or will a smaller light and a couple of spare batteries.

If you're outside or in cold locations, some of the batteries may be particularly weak in cold. Lithium batteries are supposed to work better in cold than other types. If you want to use rechargeable lithiums, get some protected cells and learn to use them properly. I'd be somewhat afraid of rechargeable lithiums in a "knock around" flashlight, or in a use where I had to carry around spares while working.

Consider reliability. 2 smaller lights might be better than one bigger light. Lights that use battery carriers tend to cause problems.

I do like the iTP lights. You can get them at batteryjunction.com or some other online retailers.

BeeMan458

Banned
You may not really need the 150 lumens. That tends to be more light than you think it is. Be sure and buy a light that has multiple light levels.

Not trying to be argumentative regarding your above in my below.

FWIW, as someone who works in Pest Control, has a General Contractors license and has worked building repair for over thirty years, I find from personal experience that a two hundred lumen light to be a minimum when inspecting and working an attic space.

:candle:

Light disappears fast in the dim dark reaches of a cluttered attic space and I find comfort in the likes of a floody JetBeam Jet-III M or a modified Surefire 6P with a ThruNite XP-G R5 drop-in installed. For more of an attic based, crawl space or tall equipment room spotlight, I'd recommend a JetBeam RRT-1 which has adjustable lighting levels.

Lots of light choices out there but for building maintenance, I'd recommend nothing less than a light with two hundred or more lumen.

:eek:

Last edited:

goldenboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!
Good point on the two lights for one idea. Already have a decent hands free LED headlamp. But for those times that I need a lot of light for more than a quick fix I use a De Walt "snake light". Adjustable to unlimited positions. And 36V of light and plenty of battery life. So, took the dive and ordered the Quark 123x2 Tatical, R5 Edition. The guy on the other end of the line at 4 Sevens was patient with my "dumb" question's. This light has the lumens I need. The UI that makes operation easy. And room to grow if I see fit in time. This will make a great EDC tool.
Looking forward to delivery. And put my old beater to bed. :tired:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you remember to order 10 pack of batteries too? and cpf8 for 8% discount.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!
Good point on the two lights for one idea. Already have a decent hands free LED headlamp. But for those times that I need a lot of light for more than a quick fix I use a De Walt "snake light". Adjustable to unlimited positions. And 36V of light and plenty of battery life. So, took the dive and ordered the Quark 123x2 Tatical, R5 Edition. The guy on the other end of the line at 4 Sevens was patient with my "dumb" question's. This light has the lumens I need. The UI that makes operation easy. And room to grow if I see fit in time. This will make a great EDC tool.
Looking forward to delivery. And put my old beater to bed. :tired:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can also get 2 RCR123s if you use the light often, to save ton battery cost.

Get two sets, one to be charged and topped off, then swap them when they die or when you are done with the light (Li-ions don't like being discharged till empty, it cuts down on the number of cycles).

I hope you like the light!

:welcome: