Novatac EDC 85T not working with Ultrafire 880mAh RCR123

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased 4 880mAh Ultrafire RCR123s for my Novatac. I did the Battery Detect Reset and it's not working. Is there a trick to getting it to work?

I did notice a battery detect reset wipes out the easter egg programability :( so once I get the rechargeables I'll have to redo the whole 250 click thing.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased 4 880mAh Ultrafire RCR123s for my Novatac. I did the Battery Detect Reset and it's not working. Is there a trick to getting it to work?

I did notice a battery detect reset wipes out the easter egg programability :( so once I get the rechargeables I'll have to redo the whole 250 click thing.

Does it work with regular CR123's?

Silly question....did you charge the RCR123's ?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes it worked with the provided Duracell RC123a.

I charged the RCRs on the Ultrafire 3v/3.6v charger (which came from lighthound with no instructions mind you) and once a steady green I tried them. No deal. I get the 1 second light when screwing the light back together, but it doesn't turn on at all.

The battery detect reset kind of stumps me though as it says to first turn light on. Well if they mean with the new RCR123 battery it doesn't do that. If they mean the old RC123a then yes that works and then you're supposed to take the light apart (which I've also tried). Then after installing the RCR and screwing the light back together there is that one second of light but normally you hold down the button during that 1 second of light and then you see 5 seconds of bright light followed by dim light and then off and then you release button and the reset is complete. I only get the 1 flash of light when screwing the light back together.

Light still works with the Duracell CR123 so not sure if it's the batteries or the battery detect reset procedure???

S.E.G

Newly Enlightened
I have found that the protection circuit is causing the issue with these Ultrafire cells, I took one apart and removed the protection PCB and the Novatac works correctly.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually had Lighthound send me replacement Ultrafire RCR123s and the new batch works normally, so :shrug:

S.E.G

Newly Enlightened
Mine were 3 weeks old from DX, they worked fine in other flashlights, but went spastic in the Novatac

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
they seem to work in my Zebralight H31 but not the Novatacs for some reason...

tolkaze

Enlightened
I have had these ultrafires not work in a Storm but work fine in my 120M. The battery detect on the storm was a bit iffy, there isn't much difference between a detect and a reset, so 9/10 times you would get erased programming and no light, the rest of the time it would work okay for about the first 10 clicks on then would stop working again.

The 120M seems to love them though, battery detect works from CR123 and RCR's and back again with no problems... Different circuit between batches perhaps?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ultrafire cells are about as predictable as the behavior of a group of mental patients. Sometimes O.K., sometimes crazy, sometimes non-responsive, and sometimes they act up. Just how they are.

Why bother? Get some AW cells and save the headaches.

Latest posts