Those of you with an Osram 6 die LED

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
When I turn my RL-2088 off, the LED glows for a few more seconds.
I can look directly at the LED, and only 4 of the die are glowing.
It makes an L shape ..: like that.
Is my LED defective?

bkumanski

Enlightened
Are you sure you turned it off before you looked in it? That "L" could be burned retinal cells :nana:.

Seriously though, my sst90s glow for a few after turn off too. Probably just heat, like an incan when it first shuts off glows a little? Dunno if that is what it is or not.

McAllan

Enlightened
It's nothing more than a capacitor coupled to the emitter. Not very large value but enough to see some after glow.

A very little difference between the chips however does that one can only see 4 glowing.
I'd bet those four also fade out with a little different speed.

Nothing to be worried about. Can happen in any multi die/emitter light depending on design.
Enjoy your light!

chef4850

Enlightened
I have the RL-2088 and that happens on my light as well. I think it was discussed in another thread. I guess this is common and not a problem.

Chef

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to see if the individual dies of your Led are operating normally without burning your retinas, simply shine your light into a body of water and look at the reflection of the LED in the water. A cup, bucket, or bathtub of water will work fine for this or even the toilet. (I strongly suggest flushing it first!)

:toilet:

I first read about this method on CPF and I've done it with a Cree MC-E LED. I was skeptical at first but it actually worked fine.

Art

Enlightened
You can also use a CD with a clear back and put it over the light... with that you can see the leds on.

McAllan

Enlightened
Or a welding helmet or a lens to project the LEDs to a wall etc.
But that's not what the thread is about. The thread is about the afterglow.

And I still suggest the capacitor. Way back I had a LED Lenser V2 Mini Moon which also had some afterglow - because of a smoothing capacitor parallel to the LED. If multiple LEDs are run in parallel manufacturing tolerances do that they fade with different speed.