Is my Fenix TA30 broken?

hitorch

Newly Enlightened
I just received a brand new Fenix TA30 this morning and couldn't wait to try it out. I popped in 3 fresh CR123 batteries, clicked the tail button and the light flashed momentarily and stayed off. I quickly went through the settings and found that only the strobe and low settings work. On the high and medium settings the light only flashes momentarily and doesn't stay on. (Incidentally, it appears the actual light output is the same no matter what setting).

My guess is that the electronics is damaged somehow. I tried leaving the batteries out for a few minutes to "reset" the circuitry but still doesn't work.

Anyone have any ideas what else I could do before I try to contact the vendor for a refund or exchange?

I thought Fenix lights were supposed to be bullet proof, this one still has the plastic and it's already pooched.

ragweed

Enlightened
I had this happen on another brand. I was able to unscrew the switch with a bobby pin. I noticed a metel contact on the switch was not engageing. I gently pushed it outwards from the switch & screwed it back in. Works fine now. Note: mine had two small holes in the switch that a bobby pin fit in perfectly.

hitorch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check the contacts this afternoon when I get home from the office. The problem with the TA30 is that the whole unit appears to be sealed except for the tailcap. I did notice there is a bit of back and forth play (1mm) on the selector ring. Wiggling it around didn't help at all.

I'm really hoping this can be fixed with a reset of some kind.

hitorch

Newly Enlightened
Bump.

Anyone have any suggestions or should I just return to vendor?

HIDblue

Enlightened
If you've followed everything in the owner's manual, you're using brand new or fully charged batteries, and it still doesn't work, then the unit's probably defective. You should definitely return it to the vendor for a new one.

I had the same experience, but I happened to receive a defective JETBeam Jet-III M where it didn't work on the max setting no matter what I tried. Just ended up returning it to the vendor and exchanged it for something else. It's been a few days since I sent it back to the vendor so I'm still waiting for the new light to get to me.

Some folks say you can futz around with it to get it to work, but if I pay for a new light I would hope that it would work right out of the box without any futzing on my part.

I've tried a couple of the online stores in the CPF marketplace list and can recommend Lightjunction, Lighthound, Batteryjunction, GoingGear and a few others so far. Hope this helps.