new batteries for L1 lumamax

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
List,

I have a modded L1 (done by CPF's own MilkySpit years ago), that I need replacement batteries for. Currently it runs on two CR123A cells.

I could go back to buying the throw-aways again (does Battery Station still have the best deals?), but I was thinking of perhaps going with rechargables.

Question: If I go rechargable, what would be the best (spend $50-100) batteries and charger combo?

Thanks for the advice!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello,

I find your post very interesting - I have one of those older (rather long) L1's that I would like to have Milky mod to take 1x 17670 with 2x CR123 as backup. Regarding rechargeable configurations, more info is definitely needed as to whether the existing driver in your L1 can handle 2x RCR123 (~7.4v) vs your current 2x CR123 (~5v) vs 1x 17670 (~3.7v but this larger single cell contains considerably more watt-hours than 2x RCR123).

Your L1 has not been bored for 17mm cells, correct? That would limit you to 16mm cells or a single 14670.

Please post more info on your modded L1, specifically the driver if you have any info on that. Sounds like an interesting build.

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
K,

I had Milky build up a L1 with two cr123a's so that I could get more lumens and more battery life.

I had a stock L1 body and found a KL1 head off another member here at CPF. M took the L1, bored it out and rebuilt the KL1. He let me choose which lumileds emitter I wanted (based upon the light color I liked). He then put it together for me.

I don't know anything about the driver. I am unsure how to find out.

Anyway if there is a way to get more run-time and/or light power I would like to pursue it.

I have not heard from Milky in a while. Is he still around?

r
[email protected]

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I would PM Milky with your questions on this build, he's definitely around - pretty busy though, so it helps to be patient. While he may not know the driver that went in your light a while back, pics always help if you can take & post them. There are also a lot of folks here that can ID those sorts of things with a photo.

It's encouraging to hear that you had your light bored - it would be cool to see check your output with 1x 17670 if that cell will fit. If you get satisfactory output from that single (large) 3.7v LiIon, the resultant runtime will be considerable, pretty much the longest that is possible without further modding.

You should get more than sufficient output from 2x RCR123, but what is unknown is whether that driver would handle the extra voltage. Runtime would be considerably less.

Sorry that I can't be of more assistance, the only help I can be is that I have thought about comparable Milky mods for my old L1 and had a few thoughts in that direction.

Good luck,
K

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gentlemen, I'm at a loss as to exactly which circuitry I placed in WYlightGUY's head... but if it's still running the stock circuitry, then any power source from 3V through at least 9V should work fine.

If the circuit is something else, the above might not be correct! So please be careful.

WYlightGUY, did I put a label on the light or PM/email you information about your light? The additional info would help me give you better advice.

Latest posts