High Speed Dial Up? - Need Advice

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at NetZero's website after seeing one of their commercials. They offer a "High Speed Dial Up" connection that needs no additional equipment....just runs on your phone line and modem.

It appears that websites will download quicker including pictures on the sites.

What it does not speed up is file transfer (photos, video). I guess that means sending or actually downloading files to your computer.

What I am wondering is if anybody is using this service and what advantages do you see. Is it worth the increased cost (increase is minimal, extra 5 dollars I think).

Living in the country with old phone lines and no DSL or Cable access, I need all the help I can get.

I would really appreciate all the info you can give me.

Thanks.

Stefan

Enlightened
I don't have this service (on DSL, no need for Netzero here). To me it looks like a scam. What it actually does is pre-fetches the websites, adds compression of the text based sites, and passes it down to you. Quoted from the site:
"Before the text and graphics that make up Web pages get sent to you over your phone line, NetZero HiSpeed compresses them using a proprietary technology. Less data is sent so the download of pages and your surfing experience are that much faster! In addition, NetZero HiSpeed stores elements of the Web sites you visit frequently so you do not have to re-download them every time you visit these sites."

Might be good if you frequent text based only sites, other than that, its a waste of money.

Just my opinion.

RichardMT

Newly Enlightened
Poked around the site some more....looks like they simply reduce the quality and file size of pics on a website so it loads faster....gives the option of showing the regular pic as its supposed to be, but then load speeds are back to regular speed.

Thanks for the responses.