No More Flashlights for ME . . .(need AC Recommend

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta buy a new coil for my Central AC Unit!! 1600 bucks!
It is a 3.5 ton unit.

Luckily the outside (compressor/condensor unit still has a couple of more years left!

Yeow!

They want to put in an Ammana coil, they say that those are the best.

Anyone have any thoughts?

MicroE

Enlightened
We just had a new AC system installed last week.
It is a Carrier. The shop that did it said Carrier was the best.
Funny, the Lennox guy had said that Lennox was the best.

How often have you walked into a shop and been told that the products they have for sale are stinky?

If the Amana warranty is good and the installer is competent then I would guess all of the major brands are interchangeable.---Marc

MicroE

Enlightened
Oh yeah. Make sure that the fan coil will be compatible with the high efficiency (SEER 13 or better) compressor unit that you will need to install in a couple of years.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Trane is the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif the competency of the installer is more important than the equiptment though, unless you're using really low end equiptment.

It's best if your coil matches your outdoor unit. We have a Trane comfort coil that matches our 13 Seer outside unit. Lovely lovely system. Uses the new coolent that's safe for the environment. Blows 50 degree air (I have a thermometer in the vent) Lets see, today it got down to 54.7

The hottest the house got was 73.8 (In the basement) and it was over 100 outside. The house is old with thin windows and needs insulation. The Trane is damn impressive.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, THANK GOD for financing! I am getting both the coil (inside in the attic) and the outside (condensor/compressor) unit replaced. I went with the SEER 14 rating.

I was luck to have happend to have found, a local company that has a GREAT repuation, and is fanatical about their service. I asked neighbors, and did some research, and personally found other customers that are happy.

Weeks HVAC Company, in the Greater Southern Houston area

And you are right about everyone having "the best". Now what I did ask them, was what other units they install, and they said, that they can and DO install whatever the customer wants, but they feel that the best value is the Amana, so that it what I am getting.

The tech that came to my house, said that he grew up, just outside of Tyler TX, where Trane is located, and he said, that he just is not real excited about a Trane. He said they are good, but very expensive, and the Amana has actually a better warantee, 10 years on Parts, Lifetime on the Compressor, and 10 years on the Coil.

I feel comfortable with this company, they are not fly by night, and there are several first hand recommendations, so I will be cool again!

Saaby

Flashaholic
Sounds like the compnay that did ours. WE got several extimates and 2 of the larger companies in the area wanted rediculous ammounts of money (They both came in around $8,000 to put in POS equiptment.) Modern came in and charged half that and put in decent equiptment to boot.

I donno where all my literature and research is but I think Amana was right up there in the top 5 so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Trane is actually American Standard in the eastern US, wonder if Amana changes names...we had 4 bids and nobody mentioned Amana at all. Not saying that's bad...they just sell different wares in different places...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
The Mother-in-law's family has their own HVAC business (in CO). The Trane units won't let you down. Their warrantee may not be the best, but you probably won't ever need it.

My dad put a 5 ton Trane in a two story 2000 sq ft house with a southern exposure. We could easily get it below 70 degree F when it got around 100 outside. That's until we realized the coils were freezing solid on the outside and that we needed to put more air through them - a better squirrel cage. Once we upgraded the blower, talk about a cool breeze...

MicroE

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
....I have a thermometer in the vent....

[/ QUOTE ]

Saaby--I'm sure that you don't mean a plain old mercury or alcohol thermometer. You must mean something more CPFish like a platinum/rhodium thermocouple calibrated to NIST. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally, I use an optical pyrometer to check my A/C performance.

Saaby

Flashaholic
The thermometer actually sends humidity and temperature wirelessly to a display I keep on my desk.

It's not quite as cool as the little super accurate fast updating mini-bar clamp thermometer that hooks into a Fluke meter that the AC guys use (They clamp it to the coolent lines) but it works well anyway...

Trane just turned on and it looks like we're blowing 58.8 already...

MicroE

Enlightened
Saaby---Your reputation remains intact.
BTW, sorry to see that your sig is in rehab. Is that physical therapy rehab or the Betty Ford clinic type of rehab?