Nailbender or ThruNite? XP-G R5

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
I want a XP-G R5 drop-in for one of my lights (18650x1). ThruNite now has the 4.2v version and Nailbender finally has the R5. Which one would you get and why?

Noctis

Enlightened
Frankly I'm a little curious to know what the difference is myself.
I got the first high voltage version of the Thrunite drop-in and was slightly disappointed at the output and the excessive spill. Using 2xRCR123s I didn't notice any difference in beam intensity as opposed to using 1x18650.

I assume the biggest difference would be the heatsink, driver, or reflector(SMO is an option not available with the Thrunite drop-in).

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope someone sends BIG C one of the Nailbenders.
Id bet they're pretty similar- more options if
you get one built custom to yer liking - SMO
tint etc.
:popcorn:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get the DX version for $14 unless there is something specifically about the others that better meets your needs.

I've got one that I'm happy with except for the fact that it has a strobe mode but for me it's not worth paying a lot more just to have that removed.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what type of beam pattern Nailbender's drop-ins have but I recall reading that the ThruNite's reflector is more of a flood than a spot while the Dereelight reflector is one of the best D26 reflectors for throw when used with an XP-G. I just bought the ThruNite 3-mode multi-battery drop-in and took the pill out to put into my TLS TX-3 head so I can't compare it to anything else I own. I had queried Nailbender about his drop-ins and they didn't meet my requirements (low, medium, high with memory, capable of handling two 18650s). The fact that the ThruNite drop-in pushes 1500mA to the emitter is just icing on the cake. Nailbender's best is 1200mA, I believe, in a multi-emitter, multi-mode setup.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I really like my single mode thrunite 1.5a drop in. It's has a big hotspot as well as bright spill which I really like coz i'm into flood rather than throw.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my single mode thrunite 1.5a drop in. It's has a big hotspot as well as bright spill which I really like coz i'm into flood rather than throw.
I'm waiting for the single mode to come to the new low-voltage model line. Right now, ThruNite offers the 2.7-4.2V 1.5A XP-G in a 3-mode version only. Maybe Dereelight will get there first; I understand that when Dereelight offers a 1.5A series, it will be single-mode only.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I'm waiting for the single mode to come to the new low-voltage model line. Right now, ThruNite offers the 2.7-4.2V 1.5A XP-G in a 3-mode version only. Maybe Dereelight will get there first; I understand that when Dereelight offers a 1.5A series, it will be single-mode only.
Mine as well. I hope it won't be long they will offer it in single mode. I prefer single mode lights for it's easy operation. Just on and off and that's it.

LumenMan

Enlightened
I think that the Nailbender XPG R5 can't be beat. Dave's customer service is fantastic & his strict quality control is a huge plus for me :)

anonymoususer

Newly Enlightened
I'd get the DX version for $14 unless there is something specifically about the others that better meets your needs.

I've got one that I'm happy with except for the fact that it has a strobe mode but for me it's not worth paying a lot more just to have that removed.
I was considering the DX version too. But everything i got so far from DX has been garbage (except for their 18650 cells), so it will probably be a no-go. And besides, i would be willing to pay double to stay away from that ridiculous strobe mode.

jslappa

Enlightened
+1 for Nailbender too. I just received an SST-90 Q3 from NB, and was able to select my reflector (smooth), and he also mounted it in a clone M3 head. Obviously the beam profile is not as pretty as what one can expect from an LOP or OP reflector, but the quality of the drop-in is top notch. As long as Dave keeps making P60 and D36 modules w/reflectors, I'll never shop elsewhere either.

degsdg

Newly Enlightened
Can someone explain the difference between the sst50 and the sst90? And how do the lumens compare to the xpg drop in. Thanks.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender is awesome, forget ****fire, ****nite, etc........ With NB, you get American Made quality, and it shows. You seldom hear of anyone having problems with a NB module. Issues with the others formentioned, are too numerous to list.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Die size. Both are brighter than xpg. SST90 is brighter than the SST50. Both are floody, the 90 more than the 50. They are not made by cree. They can be driven to higher current levels than the xpg, which means more output.

Can someone explain the difference between the sst50 and the sst90? And how do the lumens compare to the xpg drop in. Thanks.

kaufmanjd

Newly Enlightened
I hate to dredge up an old thread -and my intent here is ironically to get a nailbender dropin (new admin changes require me to make a few posts before I can post in the marketplace). However, I was considering a Thrunite dropin........does anyone have any bad experiences with them? Is the quality notably better than DX? Thanks!

Tally-ho

Banned
The Thrunite 1 mode is known to be brighter than the 3 modes, and the 3 modes isn't much brighter than my other modules driven at 1A but i haven't any luxmeter to measure it so it is really difficult to see it by eyes.
As the Thrunite's pill heat faster and is warmer than others, i guess it is brighter. Celling bounce is brighter but i can't say/evaluate how much more.
The low of the thrunite is the lower one i have compared to other modules from other brands. I would have like that it was lower.

With a Solarforce SMO reflector (from a Solarforce XP-G.R5 module) in place of the Thrunite OP reflector, the hotspot seems to be brighter with about the same size.

See beamshots here (bottom of 1st message):
http://loupiotesaddict.pro-forums.fr/discussions-generales-f22/modules-d26-beamshots-t167.htm

D26 modules are in different hosts from several brands. Some of them are cutting the spill more than others.

Nailbender ? Nailbender ?? Oh yes the guy who was ignoring my questions before ordering !...maybe his modules are great but i definitely will never be able to comment about his modules as i refuse to do business with someone who deliberately ignored my questions to help me to know exactly what i was going to order. His modules are probably great...when he accepts to sell it to you :D
I had no problem to fing and buy Thrunite.

Last edited:

Midnight Oil

Enlightened
I hate to dredge up an old thread -and my intent here is ironically to get a nailbender dropin (new admin changes require me to make a few posts before I can post in the marketplace). However, I was considering a Thrunite dropin........does anyone have any bad experiences with them? Is the quality notably better than DX? Thanks!

With Dave (aka Nailbender), you get your choice of different flux bins in the XPG family. Within each flux bin, there is 1 or more choices of temperature and tints. You also get your choice of drivers: number of levels, boost, buck, boost/buck, DD, regulated, voltage range, and max drive current.

My experience with his CS has been excellent. I, however, do hope that he takes more care in choosing the P60 reflectors for his pills: the two LOP I received for the XRE produces a really messy cloud around the corona, like egg drop soup, as well as a dark ring around the hotspot. I also wish he had access to P60 reflectors that yield a larger and more diffused hotspot for the XRE and XPE emitters, and those that can tighten up the hotspot of the XPG. Of course, this is assuming these reflectors exist.

And if you have never seen a neutral tint, I suggest you try either the XPG R4 4000K or the R4 5000K. I have and I'm never going back to either the CW tints or the Warm tints.

Tally-ho

Banned
I hate to dredge up an old thread -and my intent here is ironically to get a nailbender dropin (new admin changes require me to make a few posts before I can post in the marketplace).
I am not sure you have to go to the marketplace.
See here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282416

You can ask questions before ordering and let him know your choices. Once you pay with paypal, drop him a line in the thread. Add some informations about you (address) and (details about) your order in the paypal's comment box and there will probably be no problem.
I can't insure you that it could be done like this as i got problem with him and abort my order but i didn't log in the marketplace at any moment. I simply contacted him initially by PM to try to have additional specification about his modules.
Try the above link.

EDIT: Oh i see...you can't send PM into CPF yet, nor into CPFMP as you said. It's also impossible to send you PM yet. Doh !

Last edited: