First EDC, Quark AA R5

snipes1027

Newly Enlightened
hey guys, when there was no response to my quark aa r5 vs d10 thread i ended up going with the quark and just got it yesterday. It works great but in the manual is says that if you turn it on within three seconds of just turning it off it will return to the mode you were in. When i try to do it, it either just goes straight to the default in whichever mode set im in or progresses one mode in the set. Does anyone know what is going on?

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
When you turn it off long enough to reset (about three seconds) it goes back to moonlight (on loose) and turbo (on tight). If you switch it back on before it resets it will progress to the next mode from where you were when you switched it off.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
When you turn it off long enough to reset (about three seconds) it goes back to moonlight (on loose) and turbo (on tight). If you switch it back on before it resets it will progress to the next mode from where you were when you switched it off.

Exactly right, and well articulated.

Now, if you would like to nearly double the output of your Quark AA on turbo, just invest in a AW 14500 Li ion rechargeable or two, and an inexpensive Ultrafire W-139 charger. Then, you will have the advantage of an extra-bright turbo mode, and can always use plain old alkaline AA's for backup. That's how I use mine, and configured that way it makes an ideal travel torch.

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
Exactly right, and well articulated.

Now, if you would like to nearly double the output of your Quark AA on turbo, just invest in a AW 14500 Li ion rechargeable or two, and an inexpensive Ultrafire W-139 charger. Then, you will have the advantage of an extra-bright turbo mode, and can always use plain old alkaline AA's for backup. That's how I use mine, and configured that way it makes an ideal travel torch.
recommending li-ion to a noob is NOT good advice.

btw, your signature is fowling up the search.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
That's how I use one of mine too. Fantastic option. I reckon he'd never use an eneloop again once he's seen how well it goes.

As for whether or not it's good advice to give to someone who has had the "newby" label attached to them, well I say it's not the fact that you're new at something that counts but how well you prepare yourself for doing it.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's how I use one of mine too. Fantastic option. I reckon he'd never use an eneloop again once he's seen how well it goes.

As for whether or not it's good advice to give to someone who has had the "newby" label attached to them, well I say it's not the fact that you're new at something that counts but how well you prepare yourself for doing it.

+1

I'll only add links.

Li-ion Safety Please read, and when you're ready to make the switch:

AW Batteries because they're very high quality and have great safety features.