1 X AA, 2 X AA Recomendations

crockett

Newly Enlightened
Here's what I need:

1 x AA

- Must take a 14500 and Rechargable Eneloop.
- Prefer mid to low priced. I realized this is relative but I don't want a $100 torch but still would like a decent light. I might lose this one. It's replacing a AK-106 (sp?) that I lost. I'm still not ruling out just getting another one, but was thinking of a maybe a more simple 3 level bright $50 job.
- I lean towards light with a nice bright high but again not totally necessary.
- I'm not a tint freak so you can recommend warm to cool.
- Decent runtime. Doesn't have to be the best but certainly nothing short.
- Used mostly for searching / walking in the woods; i.e. geocaching.

2 x AA

- Replacing a lost TK20. I LOVED, LOVED this light and might just get another. It lived in my glove compartment.
- Considering the Eagletac P20A2 II.
- Needs to be somewhat rugged. The TK20 is overkill for ruggedness but definately works, however it can't be a flimsy light.
- Simpler UI prefered. I've got a bunch of fancy UI's and this light is just for a quick on/off. Two or three levels.

I'll take any and all recomendations. Thanks a bunch.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
For the 1xAA I'd recommend the Quark AA R5 in tactical or regular. Runs very well on a 14500 and on an alky or NiMH it performs quite adequately.

For the 2xAA I'd recommend you replace your lost TK20 with a .........TK20. They are cheaper now than ever. I love my P20MkII eagle ten times more than my TK20 but is a dead simple no fuss UI which is what you said you want.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I need:
1 x AA
- Must take a 14500 and Rechargable Eneloop.
- Prefer mid to low priced. I realized this is relative but I don't want a $100 a more simple 3 level bright $50 job.

Try the Lumapower Incendio on sale at BattJunction. It's priced right.
For a little more $$$ many folks here can tell you about the Jetbeam.

ToNIX

Enlightened
For the 1xAA I'd recommend the Quark AA R5 in tactical or regular. Runs very well on a 14500 and on an alky or NiMH it performs quite adequately.

For the 2xAA I'd recommend you replace your lost TK20 with a .........TK20. They are cheaper now than ever. I love my P20MkII eagle ten times more than my TK20 but is a dead simple no fuss UI which is what you said you want.

I was going to recommend the exact same thing!

Boy is that Quark AA R5 Tactical bright on 14500 :D

Buckley

Newly Enlightened

Excellent advise on all counts!

J33psr0ck

Newly Enlightened
I like the Peak El Capitan for an AA light. I use the #8 narrow and it's a powerful light especially on 14500. It appears to meet all of your requirements.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA R5:
- Momentary (good).
- Color --> Green --> Bad.

You're correct; I can't really think of anyone who likes a green tint, but it's just like rolling the dice or playing the lottery. You might get green, you might not. If you buy an R2 you might get cool white or you might get purple. The OP did mention that he's "not a tint freak", so it may not bother him anyway.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D10 for 1xAA. If you can find an older ramping version on B/S/T, even better.
EagleTac P10A2 or P20A2 - a great simple UI. Twist bezel for med / hi, rear clicky for on / off.

joe1512

Enlightened
The itp A2 is an option, either the stainless steel or alum version. Both are cheaper alternatives than some of those listed here at around 25 bucks.

Several people have used 14500s with no problems. The light is the same electronically as the A1 which uses RCR123s, so even though it doesn't say to use them, it does work. It will heat up faster than the A1 though since it is longer and more narrow.

Reference thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254331