Anybody watch Mad Men?

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a big drama freak, but this show hooked me from the opening episode. One thing that amazes me is the meticulous attention to detail via the art direction. Like, every fiber on camera is pulled from a 1960's time machine. It's actually quite slow paced compared to most dramas, but if you turn away for a second you seem to miss something. It's what I call 'patient cinema', and for some reason reminds me of classic Kubrick.

I'm trying to think of a more enigmatic a-hole on television, but Don Draper is about as alpha male as they get. Funny thing is I've worked with a lot of these characters in real life corporate, with too many Pete Campbell's to list. Some of the women are scortching hot as well.

Some friends of mine made up a drinking game for the show, but I forget the rules. :cool:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It's the best thing to happen to non-premium cable perhaps since premium cable arrived; it's already gotten more awards and nominations than most acclaimed shows get in their entire run, and it deserves it.

Jon Hamm's (Don Draper) first appearance on Saturday Night Live was the best episode of that show in years, with some sketches right on par with 1970's Belushi/Akroyd era material.

I've put nearly a dozen pictures of Christina Hendricks (Joan Holloway) in the incandescent photo thread, including one 40 megapixel poster image..

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took awhile for 'Joan' to grow on me, but after I realized she had such dimension to her character she's one of my favorites - same with Peggy. Christina Hendricks, as you've noticed, is also spankingly hot.:green:

I didn't like the way poor Sal was written off in season 3. I know he has some 'issues', but he's my only complaint about the writing. If there's any justice, his character needs to come back in a more respectful fashion. His comments during the 'lipstick hidden test' was one of the funniest scenes ever on TV.

The neighbors comment to Don while his kids were trick or treating; "and who are you supposed to be?" and the scene ends. TV writing doesn't get any smarter than that.

Yeah, the cliff hanger of season 3 was superbly well done. Can't wait for season 4. I'm waiting for grey flannel suits to come back into fashion.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Still watching, still convinced Mad Men is a crown jewel in this golden age of television.

Season 6 is ready to go for Netflix subscribers, it would be worth the $8/mo just to watch Mad Men if you are not currently a Netflix subscriber.

A media studies professor at Whitman College is offering a Mad Men class; speaking as a uni student, a class about a TV show should be a novel blow-off, but this sounds frightfully difficult..

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I haven't gotten around to getting the Season 5 & Season 6 DVD's (the only way I'm currently set up to watch them), so anybody who posts any recent spoilers is getting the 'Ban Hammer' lol. ;)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Still watching, now convinced Mad Men will be considered a high water mark in a golden age of television that is in its final hours.

Just watched the last episode before the season 7 break/"Waterloo"/the moon landing episode; a better 47 minutes than you get in most 2 hours in a movie theater..

No spoilers banhammer is in full effect as we roll into the series finale, update politely :sssh:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
47 minutes remain in the series now; what if the last episode is a retrospective of some kind? It's possible this week's episode was actually the conclusion, it seems most everyone's storylines are wrapped up tidily..

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm totally out of stuff to watch...lots of season finales recently. So, I need something else to get into and I've been wanting to watch Mad Med. I don't think it's on Amazon Prime, so I think I'm stuck buying it another way. Definitely looks like my kind of show.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've been wanting to watch Mad Med. I don't think it's on Amazon Prime, so I think I'm stuck buying it another way. Definitely looks like my kind of show.

$8 for Netflix gets you all seasons/episodes up to the final season break, the final seven episodes are $3 each through Amazon for now, since they're new; I pay the premium to keep up, get the new episodes as they come out (since half the TV articles nowadays are about Mad Men,) but if you took your time watching the whole series, the final episodes would eventually show up on Netflix.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Good LORD.. you know that giant narrative hook in a TV series that defines the whole storyline? This was basically a nonstop string of those for 47 minutes. Each scene set up like a professional portrait, each actor delivering nuance like the whole show revolved around just them, and in the end we've come full circle now; the 30 second commercial between the shows is the climax of the story itself: it's a show about advertising..

That's it, the series that defined the new era of television has exited in a way that can't and won't be repeated, television is a darker place now..

Latest posts