Aluminum Mini CR2 impressions thread

Advil

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the family little guy!

This light is taking over the Mini 123's spot and it's already awesome! It feels better in the hand and throws just a tad of a tighter beam. The beam is closer to the purple side than the green tint of the 123. I've only had it for 10 minutes but I already love it :) The size different is slightly more dramatic than pictures show. The 123 was juuuust a tad too big on my keys and this doesn't bother me at all. It's fantastc

One note - there is ZERO thread play on this light. No mode skipping and no accidental twisting.

HZlRd.jpg

hvJuT.jpg

Last edited:

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Re: Aluminum Mini CR2 impressions.

Thanks for the end up shot, it shows off the size difference better.

Hopefully the threads are consistently good on these as your example is.

The beam is a little tighter, does it seem to reach any farther?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Advil for the pictures!

I am waiting for these lights as well as a Mini AA, so it will be very interesting! :)

Advil

Newly Enlightened

I doubt it will throw farther, I think the tighter hotspot is simply a result of the diameter of the reflector.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened

nice picture!!good to see the real difference between both.
can´t wait for mine,just can´t

Flashlike

Enlightened
...The beam is closer to the purple side than the green tint of the 123.

I've got one (AL Mini CR2) on order. I hope the tint on mine is "pure white". I'd prefer that over a purple or greenish tint. From what I have heard the XP-G LEDs often have a green tint.

Advil

Newly Enlightened
by purple I don't mean like an E01... not even close. Just a tad more blue than the 123. but it could just be my unit.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today and
hearts-031.gif
I just can't believe getting such a nice light for just $36.00. Below is a line up size comparison.

BTW....The tint on mine is a beautiful creamy white.

LF3XT, EX10 SP, QMini123, QMiniCR2, EZCR2
MiniComparison2.jpg

Last edited:

Delij

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today...forgot to check the mailbox until just a few minutes ago....amazing little light! Tiny and quite bright. The low could be lower...but I think it's just me being used to the low on the the LF3XT ..(I never was really clear if the low on the Liteflux was 2 lumens or .2 (point 2..or 1/5 of one lumen)?

This is my first Quark light, so I guess that's why I'm surprised at the comments about the beam being tighter...mine seems to be quite broad...At first I thought maybe since it was so small, the reflector has to be relatively flat, but looking at it, it is actually quite deep looking (could be just a perception thing due to the relative overall size of the light)...I just looked at an old Ultrafire C3 (my oldest and first LED Cree light)...it's a small light itself, but still a whole lot longer (not quite double)..diameter is about the same. Looking at the reflector of the C3, it is a little hard to judge, but it seems to be almost twice as deep...so it is almost all hot-spot and very little spill...the Mini is pretty much all flood beyond 15 feet or so. I haven't taken it outside yet, but don't imagine it would have much throw...but for general EDC use, it's really an ideal beam. I'm just more used to small lights (like Fenix P1) having more of a hotspot/throw...but I can get used to this FAST. For practical purposes, it would seem....well...more practical! LOL

Amazing how blue it makes my old C3 look.

Color looks identical to me to an Inova XO3.. A very neutral white.

It's funny how OTF lumens can be so utterly meaningless in real life use. I don't doubt that the 180 claimed lumens is based on some real output. The XO3 claims 135, but seems brighter...but it has to be the beam pattern.

Really close to a wall (about 6 or 7 inches guessing), the Mini has a spot that's probably twice the size of the XO3 with it's far bigger reflector and bezel diameter.....I've got to get about an inch from the wall to get the beams about the same size (and it's at that distance that it's apparent that the mini might indeed be brighter...which is quite an accomplishment).

Very impressed. This light will live in the change pocket of my jeans.

I like that it starts off in low mode every time...I had both a P1 and a P1D..The only advantage to starting off on high mode was it was so much fun going through metal detectors and having the inspectors get blown away by them starting on high! Often looking right at the lens) LOL..(P1 was only "high"...and was my favorite size light until tonight) :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Threads feel very smooth...the knurling is perfect..the package is great! Two CR2 cells, a very nice (big) lanyard that has extremely nice hardware (I'll use it for my light meter - if's certainly an "around the neck" length)..and the split ring is ideal for a key chain for those that carry a light like that (this is certainly small enough).

Spare "O" ring - even about as nice a cardboard box as I've ever seen. Looks like an Apple product would be at home in it! LOL

10 year warranty, IPX8 rating, - anodizing looks to be very even...I don't know why I thought I read that this would have square threading (it doesn't) but as stated, it's smooth and came with a bit of lube (I'll use a drop of a bit thicker fishing reel grease).

A very impressive little light at a reasonable price...

Overall...an A+ with no reservations.

Thanks 4 Sevens.....the usual fast shipping and fine quality.

Now I'm just sorry I didn't get two...guess I may as well wait and get the upcoming warm tint version (for $2 less??) in a few weeks.

Peace,
D.

Advil

Newly Enlightened
I love that it was supposed to ship on the 16th, but instead it arrived the 16th :)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some white wall beam shots at between 2 to 3 ft. just to show the differences in beam patterns...Don't ya just love those Mini's?

My 123 looks to have a tighter beam than my CR2.

EZCR2640x480.jpg

Mini123640x480.jpg

MiniCR2640x480.jpg

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today and I am completely blown away by the quality of this light. I beat my wife to the mailbox, swap it out the EZCR2 on my keychain, and discretely stashed the box away. However I just couldn't keep my hands off this little gem. By the third time I cycled through the modes as I shined it down the dark hallway while we watched a movie on the couch my wife snapped "So how much did that one cost?" My reply of "Less than the last one" wasn't exactly an acceptable answer.

Back to the matter at hand:

My key chain light evolution is as follows: P1D-EX10-EZCR2-QMini CR2. The Quartz [Oops...Quark] is the cheapest light in the line up yet it is by far the greatest. The threads are some of the smoothest I have have felt on a twisty (with virtually no sloppy wobble), it's shorter than my EZCR2 by quite a bit, the low is so beautifully low (something I really missed when I switched for the EX10 to the EZCR2) and the high is incredibly high with an actually useful difference between medium and high!

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
By the third time I cycled through the modes as I shined it down the dark hallway while we watched a movie on the couch my wife snapped "So how much did that one cost?" My reply of "Less than the last one" wasn't exactly an acceptable answer.

The Quartz is the cheapest light in the line up yet it is by far the greatest.

I feel you brother!:crackup:

We've come a long way when we can get light from a rock!(though it doesn't seem so far fetched considering all the things we use Quartz for).:D

Advil

Newly Enlightened
i'm loving this light more and more than my mini 123. i can't help but be paranoid about using the high mode since it only has 40 minutes of run time though.

are there any better cr2's with more than 900mah?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
More temptation. This one's going to be hard to resist. If I wasn't such a cheapskate regarding CR2 batteries the choice would be simple.

Geoff

timbo114

Enlightened
I just got my Mini 10 minutes ago .... DAMN! I like this light!

I have an EZ CR2 which is a nice light in itself but .. this Mini XPG's output and beam are fabulous!
Pure white and w - i - d - e hotspot.
L M H UI is great, the low is perfect.

Bravo David!
This one's a winner. :twothumbs

I'll probably snag another, or two ..:devil:

lumitoid

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine about an hour ago and have to agree. It has a wider hot spot than my A1 EOS and a lot smaller. First 47's light and I am impressed.