Highest lumens for a G2 Nitrolon - any updates for using the XP-G emitter ?

Ace12

Enlightened
I am thinking about a new drop in for my G2 Nitrolon. How high can I go and remain realistic.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Highest recommended lumens for a G2 Nitrolon?

It's not just about lumens...it's about heat. Excessive heat will fry the LED. A G2 body has no heat sinking properties because it is plastic. The Surefire P60L drop-in is designed to lower its output when it reaches a specified heat. Particular Malkoff drop-ins *(M60L and M60LL) are very well heat sinked to maintain constant output in a plastic (Nitrolon) body.

I think you would be fine with the Surefire P60L or the Malkoff M60 L or M60LL.

I own both the Surefire P60L and the Malkoff M60L. My personal recommendation is buy the Malkoff M60L. Brighter than the Surefire M60L, a longer runtime than the Surefire P60L, better throw than the Surefire P60L and very well heat sinked for use in a Nitrolon bodied light. All the above for just a few dollars more. I

still personally feel though that the Surefire P60L has the best beam profile of all the drop-ins, but that is my personal preference. If Malkoff offers a P61L in the future, that may be the best option available for the G2 bar none.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would not go over 500mA to the LED.

With new LEDs you will get some fairly good output and great runtime. If you try to go extreme in a g2 the LED will heat up loose output, possibly change to purple and die.

The output depends on the LED type and what you want. Throw or overall lumens output.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Owning neither a G2 nor drop-in, but researching the same issue before buying my first G2, I'd say that Malkoff lists their M60L as sutiable for the G2, and it's putting out 140 or so lumens, per Malkoff. Whether you could get that sort of output without excessive heat buildup from some other dropin, I don't know. I think the heatsinking on the Malkoff's is pretty good. I don't know about other manufacturers'.

Ace12

Enlightened

I would not go over 500mA to the LED.

With new LEDs you will get some fairly good output and great runtime. If you try to go extreme in a g2 the LED will heat up loose output, possibly change to purple and die.

The output depends on the LED type and what you want. Throw or overall lumens output.

Looking for more flood than spot. Its a nightstand light just used around the house.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

In that case, this should be good for you.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened

I use this from DX with good results.

It's not driven too hard even on its highest setting.

The best thing is you can pick anything from about 3 lumens, to about 150 lumens. Has an easy to enter ramping mode, but not too easily accessed, I find that it works great with a twist switch. You really can't go wrong for ~$12.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

I use this from DX with good results.

It's not driven too hard even on its highest setting.

The best thing is you can pick anything from about 3 lumens, to about 150 lumens. Has an easy to enter ramping mode, but not too easily accessed, I find that it works great with a twist switch. You really can't go wrong for ~$12.

I also use 17593 in my G2, nice little setup IMHO. The PWM sometimes bugs me though.
dscn6025z.jpg

Ace12

Enlightened

I have an older DX in it now. It's ok, but it doesn't have much flood.

carrot

Flashaholic

M60LF is my recommendation.

You could also go for a P90 or P91 (or similar) run off two IMR RCR123's. But you might melt the lens (which is replaceable)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Currently using this drop in from DX and have a related thread on it here, in my G2 running on 2xRCR123s.

No issues with it so far though some others have posted in that related thread that the drop in died after some use.

It's pretty much the brightest drop in i have for my G2

lebox97

Enlightened

you can go as bright and as hot as you want - it all depends on how long at a time you want to run it. :thinking:

- 400-500 lumen drop ins work great if you are using it intermittently.
- 100-200 lumen drop ins work better if you need to use it for longer periods of time.

biggest difference between the DX and ThruNite XP-G drop in besides quality and price is the DX are 1a and ThruNite is at 1.5a (ie. a lot brighter)?

Tod

I am thinking about a new drop in for my G2 Nitrolon. How high can I go and remain realistic.

Ace12

Enlightened

Can someone post a beamshot of the M60LF ???

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Can someone post a beamshot of the M60LF ???

I borrowed one for a week, it really doesn't have a beam pattern at all. at ~10 feet you'd just see a near uniformly lit white wall. No spot, gradual fade far right and far left. If used with a strike bezel, you would see the shape of the bezel at the far sides.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Currently using this drop in from DX and have a related thread on it here, in my G2 running on 2xRCR123s.

No issues with it so far though some others have posted in that related thread that the drop in died after some use.

It's pretty much the brightest drop in i have for my G2

That DX module only drives at ~1A, so it should be OK if you keep ON cycles below ~5-6 minutes.
It should be noted that MrGman cooked his thrunite module. I am not positive the failure mode though, I do not know if it was thermal overheating or something else.

Last edited:

Ace12

Enlightened

I borrowed one for a week, it really doesn't have a beam pattern at all. at ~10 feet you'd just see a near uniformly lit white wall. No spot, gradual fade far right and far left. If used with a strike bezel, you would see the shape of the bezel at the far sides.

Hmmm, I might like the M60L better. Says it has a good balance between throw and spill and lights up a room nicely. I want a floodier light, but not pure flood. I have a zebralight H30 for that.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Hmmm, I might like the M60L better. Says it has a good balance between throw and spill and lights up a room nicely. I want a floodier light, but not pure flood. I have a zebralight H30 for that.

IMHO the M60LF beam pattern is more like the H30 than the M60L. The M60L still has a defined spot in the middle at closer range. its like a wall of flood with a round spot in the middle

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened

I also use the DX 17593 and no issue at all and no real pwm in mine. I like being able to go from like 5 lumens up to +- 200 lumens.