Very sorry for our European friends being affected by Volcano

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cloud of ash was suppopsed to travel over my place during the last night. It was way too late to stay up for that but right now it is a beautifull day. Blue sky without a single cloud, neither regular nor ash. No sign of ash at all in the part of germany I live (if you travel from denmark through germany I live about two thirds south). Obviously the problems occur farther north.

I just had to take a picture of one of the most notorious german newspapers. The headline translates to The Ash Monster. They even covered their logo in ashes and the scary face is supposed to be a radar-image of the vulcano with it´s three craters.

aschemonster.jpg

Last edited:

Tomcat!

Enlightened
Beautiful blue cloudless skies and blazing sunshine here today. Yesterday morning we had lots of large fluffy clouds with dark grey bottoms and light grey tops. On the day of the original alert the sky was a blanket of light gloom, and the way the press went crazy with the story we were expecting to see ash falling down like snow. I guess Britain is too close for the plume to come down low enough to trouble the ground folk. I suppose it will have to get much deeper into Europe before its altitude drops enough to be a problem.

The one thing about this story which makes my blood boil is the TV news interviewing an increasing parade of whining morons who bang on about having their holidays disrupted and demanding to know what the airlines are doing. They've missed the point that the airlines are faced with the choice of staying safe on the ground or fall out of the sky and die, and so have naturally gone for the first option. People on domestic flights seem to be worst. Hello guys, we have trains you know! I also love the ones who want to know when it will stop. Sure, the Icelanders are covering their country in volcanic ash and glacial flood water just for a major tourist spectacular. Somewhere in an underground lair there's a bloke with a spanner just waiting for the order to turn off the volcano valve.
Honestly, I despair during times of crisis or emergency when the news media wheel out the dimmest of one's fellow countrymen.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful blue cloudless skies and blazing sunshine here today. Yesterday morning we had lots of large fluffy clouds with dark grey bottoms and light grey tops. On the day of the original alert the sky was a blanket of light gloom, and the way the press went crazy with the story we were expecting to see ash falling down like snow. I guess Britain is too close for the plume to come down low enough to trouble the ground folk. I suppose it will have to get much deeper into Europe before its altitude drops enough to be a problem.

The one thing about this story which makes my blood boil is the TV news interviewing an increasing parade of whining morons who bang on about having their holidays disrupted and demanding to know what the airlines are doing. They've missed the point that the airlines are faced with the choice of staying safe on the ground or fall out of the sky and die, and so have naturally gone for the first option. People on domestic flights seem to be worst. Hello guys, we have trains you know! I also love the ones who want to know when it will stop. Sure, the Icelanders are covering their country in volcanic ash and glacial flood water just for a major tourist spectacular. Somewhere in an underground lair there's a bloke with a spanner just waiting for the order to turn off the volcano valve.
Honestly, I despair during times of crisis or emergency when the news media wheel out the dimmest of one's fellow countrymen.

I hear you! I lived in Thailand when the tsunami struck. I saw many families argue with the military and rescue that they where on holiday and did not want to leave the beach just because bodies where salvaged.
I even got photos of this. Their kids play in the background and about 60m away black body bags where lined up.

Well, hope Iceland will recover fast from this. Its been some hard years for them lately.

curlyfry562

Enlightened
Hey Guys, I am currently one of those stranded people vacationing in Europe :wave:. On Spring break from Uni in the UK.

I am trying to look at the bright side, I was going to take one flight straight from Athens to London, but now I am going to have a very interesting and much more adventurous journey back to school. Luckily I have no connecting flights and I am in no hurry, but I can see how people who have connecting flights and hotels booked could be very aggravated, but what are you going to do, curse a volcano whose name you cant pronounce.

By the way, this is why you always pack extra batteries lovecpf

By the way here are the CNN Updates: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/16/iceland.volcano.europe.flights/index.html

Last edited:

TRITON

Newly Enlightened
:sigh: I feel for the people in the volcanic affected area,as well as the earthquake victims in china/tibet.We had a 3.4 quake where i am last nite,the wave travelled underneath me at 11.30pm,VERY errie feeling. When mother nature vents her fury there is not much we can do about it. There is going to be more of this very soon [check out PROJECT CAMILOT.COM] and keep your torches and blades handy.

DM51

Flashaholic
I hear the volcano is in a place called Slough, England. It is quite unusual to have volcanoes in England, or so I am told.

N10

Newly Enlightened
and this is supposed to be a small eruption compared to Pinatubo eruption in 1991 or 92?..i was a kid at that time.But volcanoes are scary amazing...

XRAYBoY

Newly Enlightened
and this is supposed to be a small eruption compared to Pinatubo eruption in 1991 or 92?
The problem will be when going to end.The volcano can be stopped tomorrow or being active long time...

By now the cloud has not come to Spain ... until the wind changes.:eek:oo:

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
The media don't seem to understand the possible implications of this.

It's not transport of people that is the biggest problem. These days most things that are not bulky or heavy are transported via air. Lack of spare parts and the fact that most factories these days operate according to "just-in-time" delivery of goods will mean, that if this goes on more than a handful of days, an enourmous strain on the world economy.

Nobody knows how long it will go on, but last time this volcano had an eruption was back in 1821 and then it continued for 2 years!

So I am a little bit worried...

P.S. I live in Sweden.

P.P.S. Almost all airports in Europe are now closed. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8626505.stm

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened
I hear the volcano is in a place called Slough, England. It is quite unusual to have volcanoes in England, or so I am told.

AFAIK the volcano is in Iceland, not England... :confused:

There was a small TV crew trying to do get to 3 of those volcanoes in a row. Of course they didnt know this will happen. It seems they were some of the people nearest the crater when it exploded. One day more and they would be too near, if you know what I mean :devil:

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must say its been quiet overhead around here and slightly eerie that there are no over head vapor trails in a cloudless sky, I never remember seeing it so calm before.

As for the volcanic cloud, well it can't be seen from where I am but the cars have got dusty kind of quickly. Nothing major though and in fact I had only noticed as I had washed my car the day before and it hadn't left my driveway - I can only assume it was the volcanic ash and not the usual Sahara desert dust that we get occasionally.

AFAIK the volcano is in Iceland, not England... :confused:
LOL!

For more laughs read the description of the 9th and final photograph in the torontosun link at the top of page that Lux posted. I must say it gave me the giggles to find out that Belfast City Airport, Northern Ireland is "some 120km east of the capital Reykjavik, Iceland." :crackup:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It's always good to try and find some humor is such a monumental tragedy as this. For me it is the fact that no one outside of Iceland has any idea how to pronounce the name of it.

Apparently the volcano-who-has-no-name is underneath a glacial formation called Eyjafjallajökull.

The Wall Street Journal website here attempts to cheerfully decode that amalgum of letters, and gives a handy pronunciation guide: ay-yah-FYAH'-tlah-yer-kuh-duhl. I don't know about you, but I'm unable to pronounce the phonetic pronunciation guide, and it makes the Klingon language sound tame.

Then there's Bergthora Thorbjarnardottir, a geophysicist at the Meteorological Office, stating: "The eruption could go on like that for a long time, every volcano is different and we don't have much experience with this one -- it's been 200 years since it erupted last."

If I was dating Bergthora, I would just call her "BT." :crackup:

No offense to our Icelandic friends.