Prometheus        
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Default Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

I EDC a Vic Climber it's neat and has everything that the average city dweller needs in a nice sheeple friendly package

I EDC a Traveller Lite, but I've also got a Hiker when I want something a little less bulky.

Now Vic Forester in my backpack, and Case peanut (ivory handle) in my duty pants
    Your Life Time is divided into Halves, Days & Nights.

I EDC the Vic Swisschamp. Its ruddy heavy & I DONT need the fish scaler (although it IS a ruler, too!) but I like the combination of tools including small pliers, "proper" Philips head driver & file.

I keep a firesteel, fauxton & spy capsule containing vaseline/cotton & needle & thread permanently attached to the split ring, too.

KNIFE
    FIRE
    LIGHT

edc a Spartan... not sure how long I've had it, I recall almost slicing the tip of my finger off with it in 1997 tho, so I know it was well before then that I got it
    Nokoff is back!..and made in China

I have a few SAKs, but the one I use most often is a One Hand Trekker. I bring it with me outdoors when doing yard work, riding the tractor, etc., but don't EDC it. The long, semi serrated blade works great for cutting vegetation and I've used the saw to cut thin branches which interfere when mowing the lawn.

My EDC knives are usually American made lockbacks.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

newest combo

Surefire G2 with FYL body and M61LL
    Victorinox Rescue Tool
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Great set up mate sadly I would be held in custody for carrying that over here.

Thanks!
    Where is here?
    My lightsWTB: Surefire: New/Used/Rare. Currently looking for everything Crosshairs + D2. Interesting trades available.Everybody, just send your lights directly to James - he'll end up with them anyhow, lol. -Kestrel

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmtl514 View Post
    Thanks!
    Where is here?
    I'll hazard a guess, and say England.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I picked up a couple of silver alox Cadets on sale from Target and have been carrying one lately. Like other Cadet owners point out, it is so slim and light weight that you barely know you are carrying it.
    Retired engineer, author. Running Linux.

I usually carry my vic camo huntsman.

I have 3 Deluxe Tinkers. They are my favorite SAK's. That pliers has sure come in handy for things. I also like the Phillips screwdriver.
    The evening news is where they start by saying "Good Evening" and then proceed to tell you why it isn't...

I have a spartan which I used to carry all the time (was a gift from my mother a couple of decades ago). I even used to be able to take it on a plane! But, with increased restrictions, and stricter knife laws in other countries I visit (UK, Japan, etc.) I tend to leave it in a drawer now and mainly EDC a swisstech utilikey

I got this Silver (Ag) SAK for my wife, It's not for EDC

I EDC the SAK Mini-Champ and I swear by it. I use it literally everyday for its pen, large(r) blade and scissors. The pen is still writing, despite liberal use and being three years old. I also use the ruler and screwdrivers every couple of days and the tweezers too. All the tools get used at some stage, but, as I say, the ones listed above are invaluable on a daily basis.

I was very lucky and managed to get my (genuine) knife for a fraction of its RRP as I got it in New Year sales, with offer vouchers AND the shop was stopping selling SAKs, so was doing them cheap. Think it was about £4 in the end, down from £45...

I also regularly carry a green alox Classic as backup.

For pliers I have a Sebertool pair in my back pocket.

I carry a vic classic and a vic camper or a wenger evo s17. The classic is standard, the other two I switch out depending on the day.

Unenlightened

I carry a classic in camo every day.

Victorinox Mini Champ for me.
    No, I'm not new. My whole profile was lost in the great crash of 2011.

Flashaholic*
    below polar circle.. in country which used to make nokia phones.

i was hoping this thread would help me choose the model for myself.. but it seems that people carry many different kinds of saks. haha. not really helping me either.

some have tools i need but lack others. some have tools i want but also several that i have no need. wish they would offer an custom purchase option. allowing one to pick only the tools you want. that is that it/they would fit into the model/chassis you choose.

the minichamp is one option: the letter opener useless to me. orangepeeler too.

or the exploerer: the magnifyer lens is cool. but i dont need the small blade (always thought it useless) the hook and the corkscrew

wish they all would have some kind of way to open all the tools and blades without fingernails haha.

and to me it would be cool if there would be atleast one one hand opener model in the regular (smaller) model line ..maybe with an thumbstud on the blade.. wonder if some one has modded theirs with one.. drilling a hole into the finger groove area and threading it and putting an small screw in there for added grip. hmm.. gotta google it. or do it myself.
    *MaKiNG SeNSe iS NOT My PRioRiTy* *One is None, Two is One, But Butter is Better*
    *Flashaholism: DeeP DaRK HoLe im falling into, glad that I have my flashlights to light the way.*

I bought mine in about 1970 (?) & can't recall the model...Handyman perhaps; it has the best pair of scissors I've ever used.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    i was hoping this thread would help me choose the model for myself.. but it seems that people carry many different kinds of saks. haha. not really helping me either.

some have tools i need but lack others. some have tools i want but also several that i have no need. wish they would offer an custom purchase option. allowing one to pick only the tools you want. that is that it/they would fit into the model/chassis you choose.
    Yeah, that would be really good - I like to have a file, but only the models with heaps of tools have one.

So what tools are a must have for you and what tools would you like to have? There are so many SAK, there is surely one we could suggest.

I now have 5 different SAKs but can't change my EDC because it is just so useful on a day to day basis for me - my Cybertool 34 that I bought over 10 years ago. I can repair computers and pull apart electronic gadgets with ease thanks to the various screwdrivers - I don't like to leave the house without it in its holster on my belt.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

For a purely urban SAK, or one ideal for a romantic picnic; I have to give the nod to my Vic Waiter/Bartender model.

Not one of the more popular SAKs out there. Single large blade, combination bottle/can-opener on the other end, and a corkscrew on the back. Minimalist, with a couple of extra features over the Solo model. Very easy to carry.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Unenlightened

I carry my Wenger Soldier most days, but I tend to use my LeatherMan Style CS for most of my knife needs when at work just to keep a low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by NonSenCe View Post
    ... wish they would offer an custom purchase option. allowing one to pick only the tools you want. that is that it/they would fit into the model/chassis you choose....
    Check out Swiss Bianco. He does excellent custom work. might get expensive though.

I always have a SAK classic in a nice leather sheath on my car keys. I sometimes carry the SAK soldier although I have recently been carrying my Juice S2.
    I have started collecting a few different SAK classics the 125yr edition and a few patterns such good knives.

Wink Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

This is a great thread btw! I've enjoyed reading it. I'm new btw, so hello all too.

I EDC a Leatherman Juice XE6 (missed out on the Juice Pro at Costco back in the day). Some people say it's too heavy, but it's fine for me, I forget I have it in the pouch on a belt loop sometimes. I just like it because of the big range of tools.

My other EDC is a Victorinox new Soldier ('09) and I swear that thing is bulletproof, very well made and seems to handle any use I've put it too so far.

I like the Alox models. When I carry a SAK it's usually the Cadet.

Enlightened

before: Victorinox Climber
    currently: Victorinox Explorer
    i may replace this with a Victorinox Deluxe Tinker in the near future.

The Explorer Plus is the best EDC SAK. Everyone knows that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast